Are you Fight or Flight? And if so...

Options
Hey there!

When you are startled or scared, do you have the "fight" reflex or the "flight" reflex? And if so, do you see a correlation between that reflex and what exercises and sports you like to you or how well you do them?

For example, I definitely have a "fight" reflex. If I get scared I tend to freeze and punch.

I am really not fast, kinda dislike running, but I like weightlifting and hitting things - like volleyball and baseball.

Just curious.

M.C. Turtle

Replies

• ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Fight then flight. I think it's a personality thing. It makes sense that someone who would throw a punch when grabbed would also gravitate to sports or activities that use those skills. I took karate for several years, like using a heavy bag (don't have one anymore), and prefer weight based exercises to anything cardio except katas. Karate taught me more effective ways to slow down the attacker so that I could run for help.

When watching "Ellen" and her scaring segments, I marveled that no one took her down out of reflex. I would have hurt her if I didn't have space enough to realize who it was and divert!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It depends on the threat...

I like to ride my bike and I do Olympic lifting...I don't think there's any direct correlation to my fight or flight response.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It's not consistent for me. Sometimes fight, sometimes flight. I think the situation makes all the difference, and if I could reason it out then it would not be so "reflexive". I just know it is not always the same.

I like running. I have also done a lot of martial arts, but not currently. Just running at the moment.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    When you are startled or scared, do you have the "fight" reflex or the "flight" reflex? And if so, do you see a correlation between that reflex and what exercises and sports you like to you or how well you do them?

In terms of context, I'm ex military, so pretty well trained in dealing with managing the response. In terms of physiological effects it's all the same whether your decision process is to evacuate the environment or move to a more kinetic response. That decision is as much, if not more, about training as natural inclination; nurture > nature if one has the tools available.

Notwithstanding that I don't really think it has any real bearing on ones preferred sports.

I used to compete at national level in combat rifle and pistol, and that's all about controlling the responses. One has to take in the data, process it, and make a decision on ones action at the time. For all sports, performance at a high level of competence is all about control, rather than letting instinct take over and drive the agenda.

At the moment my focus is long distance running and cycling, in part because it gives me space to let my mind roam free, and that helps deal with stress and think through issues at work.

• Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I tend to want to fight. I have been kickboxing/wrestling, etc... my whole life though so I think that explains it. I also weigh over 300lbs so I'd probably be more successful in a fight than I would be in a foot race!
  • Huppdiwupp
    Huppdiwupp Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Flight - and I only ever liked endurance sports. But I think my instinct to avoid physical fights has more to do with the fact that I find them utterly pointless. I wouldn't want to be near people interested in fighting, while on the other hand, I couldn't care less whether or not they might perceive me as a coward.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have no idea. I've never been in a freeze/fight/flight situation.

I like lifting weights, walking, running, and generally minding my own beeswax in real life.