Water...room temp vs. cold??

Options
So I have heard some mixed things about drinking water room temp vs. cold water. Something about your body breaking it down differently?? I really dont know if there is a better way to drink it but if anyone has info on this...shout it out :) Either way...I know getting a good amount of h2o is good good!!

thanks!

Replies

• saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I've never read or heard anything about drinking it room temp vs. cold! Very interesting! I just know that for me I can drink WAY more if I drink it at room temp, which when you aim to chug 100ozs.+ a day you definitely try and find a way to make it easier. :drinker:
  • amg5157
    amg5157 Posts: 52
    Options
    I have heard that colder water is better for "burning cals" BUT i tend to have an issue with drinking really cold water unless I am working out...At the moment I try to drink at least a Gallon a day... doing great with the Room Temp Water!!! ;-)
  • slcobb001
    slcobb001 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I think everybody is different and everybody have different feelings about it. I like my water at room temp. I'm a long distance cyclists and cold water cramps me up. My son is a long distance runner and has an insulated water holder because he has to have it cold with ice... Do what is best for you... I agree that if you exercise you MUST drink or you will not feel good and lose energy. Drink before you are thirsty !!!
  • pfenixa
    pfenixa Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that it's better to drink it cold because your body has to use more energy to bring the water down to body temperature. I'm curious if there are benefits to drinking it room temp.
  • evanbeek
    evanbeek Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    A fun, quick read: http://health.howstuffworks.com/question447.htm

Basically, depending on the temperature, because your body heats the water, you can burn up to 70 calories per day if you drink 64oz of water. Not bad for doing something you should be doing anyway.
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that it's better to drink it cold because your body has to use more energy to bring the water down to body temperature. I'm curious if there are benefits to drinking it room temp.

I've always heard the same.
  • Elokyn
    Elokyn Posts: 448 Member
    Options

I've always heard the same.

Ditto
  • jessicakate26
    Options
    I have definitely heard of how your body burns more to bring the water to body temp! Thanks for all the feedback! Like I said...either way...we need to get it in rite!
  • Soon2beskinny73
    Soon2beskinny73 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I can deifnitly drink more if it's at room temp rather than ice cold although ice cold is how I like it :) Didn't know there was a right or wrong way of drinking it LOL , I am doing good as long as I get in my 120 oz. a day :)
  • mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    Options
    I prefer mine between 38 - 40 degrees F.
  • cesse47
    cesse47 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I have found I can drink more water if it's cool to room temp. When I work in the yard, I fill a super large glass with ice and water and sip at it frequently. But, the only way to get the large volume of water I need during a day is the cool to room temp water.
  • quinnybear
    quinnybear Posts: 243
    Options

I heard you body can start "using" it quicker if its room temp. at least that's what they told us in boot camp since everyone HATED drinking room temp water.
  • delayne
    delayne Posts: 2
    Options
    I generally drink my water at a cool temp (fridge but no ice). However I drink 10 -20 oz extremely ice cold water 30 minutes before meals. It helps you burn extra calories and makes me less hungry.
  • lydaugherty
    Options
    The only way that I can drink water is half-frozen, or with lots of ice in it. Room temp water, forget it. But that's me. Hehehe.
  • coffeegirl1998
    coffeegirl1998 Posts: 121 Member
    Options

I heard you body can start "using" it quicker if its room temp. at least that's what they told us in boot camp since everyone HATED drinking room temp water.

I have heard the same thing from a friend stationed in Iraq...they are only given room temp to warm water because of the same thing....but personally, I have to have it practically frozen in order to drink it.