Butt "Pop"?

Options
lizayjay
lizayjay Posts: 7 Member
edited January 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello out there!

I had a question about a term that I am hearing a lot of in exercise videos for the bum.

During squats and such, the trainer often says "make sure your butt 'pops' when you rise up". I understand that they are talking about the muscles in the butt but I do not understand how I am supposed to do this "pop". I have a very small bum so maybe I am doing it without realizing it, and I am just not seeing it? Or do I have to engage certain muscles? Or maybe I am not doing the squat form correctly?

How do I do this "pop" they are speaking of? Any insight would be really helpful.

Thank you!

*And no, I'm not referring to "twerking" or literally "booty popping". I guess it's supposed to be a contraction of the butt muscles when lifting yourself up from a squat.

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Twerk
    Drop down and get your eagle on.
  • rosestring
    rosestring Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you stick your butt out, away from your body as you lower into the squat? I don't really know.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Did you ask your trainer?
  • Tomm88
    Tomm88 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    well i dunno what a butt pop is but i hope he's not suggesting a butt "wink" ( rounding of the lumbar spine while squatting) doing that too much can cause lower back issues.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I just googled and it looks like a specific type of squat? It appears to be a Jessica Alba thing. I'm sure one of these videos will show you:

https://www.google.com/search?q=booty+pop+squats&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    not sure ..never heard that…

a que that I was told was to feel like you are "f-ing" the air when you come up out of the bottom so that you are explosive….

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Hip drive. Google the video on hip drive by Mark Rippetoe.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    If your butt pops during squats, consider reducing your intake of beans and carbonated beverages.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Bret contreras has a program that focuses on the glutes, and there is a great chapter in his book. He doesn't have the same info on his blog, but he does have a suggested glute activation workout:
    http://bretcontreras.com/jane-fonda-experiment/

In the book he suggests daily glute activation exercises to essentially train your glutes to respind. And, just thinking about you glutes during an exercise can help as well.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

That would be my guess. About half way up on your squat you need to stop thinking about pushing up and start thinking about driving your hips forward. You'll end up almost with your butt clinched at the top.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    This. Squatting technique takes repetition too learn correctly and lots and lots of people still miss on hip drive.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    It could also be this. Someone with strong hip drive almost appears to be tucking their pelvis in at the top of a squat. I'd ask your trainer for clarification. S/he should be able elan what they mean.
  • FullOnBurn
    FullOnBurn Posts: 43 Member
    Options

+1 on this.
  • lizayjay
    lizayjay Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ohhh okay I think I understand better now what they mean by this. Thank you for everyone's input!
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Phew. I thought this was going to be about some kind of bedroom issue.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    It could also be this. Someone with strong hip drive almost appears to be tucking their pelvis in at the top of a squat. I'd ask your trainer for clarification. S/he should be able elan what they mean.

Sounds very much like "squeeze your *kitten*" at the top.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Greg Nuckols is great at this. Here is a video of his squat. Its on facebook so I dont know if everyone can watch it.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152518784313779&pnref=story

If you notice about half way up you will see his hips shoot forward. He gets his hips back under the bar and he just stands up.

He wrote a great article where he mentions this here.
    http://www.strengtheory.com/squats-are-not-hip-dominant-or-knee-dominant-3/
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

That would be my guess. About half way up on your squat you need to stop thinking about pushing up and start thinking about driving your hips forward. You'll end up almost with your butt clinched at the top.

Same here. We non-lifting lame-o's generally refer to it as "squeezing at the top" :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

Same here. We non-lifting lame-o's generally refer to it as "squeezing at the top" :)

nah- don't say that.... I know of no serious lifter who calls it a "pop"- so it's not like that's some "in term"

squeeze your *kitten*- drive from the hip- both common cues. Butt pop- not so much.