Decreased appetite?

Options
Ok, so does anyone else notice that their appetite has significantly decreased since losing weight? I’ve noticed that it’s a struggle to eat my 1500 calories sometimes. I’ll eat some oatmeal and be full halfway through. Anyone experience this too?

Replies

• Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I definitely have. I'll make my favorite meal and not be able to finish it and be so disappointed. It's a good thing, but it's weird. I also don't seem to get the same hunger signals. I know when I need to eat, but I don't necessarily feel hungry.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Because when you diet, you jack with your hormones, including leptin and gherlin which control your hunger cues. The bigger the calorie deficit, the more you jack with your hormones.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Nope.

In fact, when people talk about that kind of thing, I tend to suspect bragging. Perhaps uncharitable, but it takes about 550 or so calories to make me feel full, unless the meal was high in fat (bacon and eggs actually are pretty low in calories)
  • Glowiie1
    Glowiie1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I get that some days actually. Not that I've lost a lot of weight, but since I've restricted my calorie intake to about 1450/day I've noticed that I don't need as much food to be satisfied. Probably just me realizing that I've been WAAAY overeating for a long time ha ha. When I get to eat those extra 4-500 cal a day...woooo boy do I have plans for those! :).
  • livb528
    livb528 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am actually starting to notice this some days, too, which surprises me and I feel my stomach must have shrunk a little bit. Although I am sure I eat most of you as I'm a nursing mom. I also need my fats NoelFigart1 to feel satisfied!
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. The portions that I can eat are much smaller... I can never finish an entree at a restaurant these days. After working toward my goal for a year and training my body to want less food at one time, it really doesn't take much to feel satisfied.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    It took a few days when I started dieting for my appetite to decrease, but now I find I'm satisfied on much less food than I expected to be.

Unfortunately, this goes away every time I indulge in sweet treats. For some reason, sugar just doesn't satisfy me the way other foods do, I want more, and I end up having cravings for a day, or until I'm able to distract myself.

I think the fact that I eat healthier when I'm dieting leads to some of the appetite suppression. I tried re-introducing sweets into my diet, to see if it would still start a binge. And it did :'( But then I remembered that some foods stop cravings for me. If I have some brown rice, yogurt, or celery, for some reason the sugar cravings go away. As long as I've had some good veggies during the day (salad), I'm less likely to start thinking about the sweets my daughters have in the house. On the advice of a nutritionist, I upped my protein intake to .8g per kg of body weight, and avoided eating carbs by themselves, and I find I'm more satisfied with my meals. Getting enough water, fiber, and protein really makes a difference for me.

I also find intense exercise helps with my appetite. If I can do a Jillian Michaels video everyday, the high-calories treats aren't as tempting.

I'm lucky, because my hunger seems to turn off at about 10pm. If I've been running around all day, and find I haven't eaten 1000 calories by 10pm, I have to force myself to eat the rest of the calories I need for the day. The effort to prepare food doesn't seem worth it at that point.

I was really worried I wouldn't be able to diet due to hunger. I'm just so relieved that it hasn't been a problem for more than 20 minutes to a day at a time, and that most of the time I haven't been hungry when eating fewer calories.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Some days, I'll have no appetite. I will run a huge deficit.

Other days, I'm ravenous, and want to inhale everything.
  • Ayunaskam
    Ayunaskam Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! It's nice to know that I'm not alone in this. I think my years of overeating has just made me feel like I should be eating more. My eyes always have been bigger than my stomach!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Nope, I'm the same as always.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Nope, I'm the same as always.

Me too, lol. Glad to see I'm not the only one. I don't notice much of a difference I guess, and I started making changes six months ago and have lost almost 70 pounds. I feel as hungry as always.

• mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Nope, because lifting heavy makes me very hungry. And I'm only doing a 10% deficit from my TDEE so I'm not under-eating that much.
  • pap3rw1ngs
    pap3rw1ngs Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Nope. Almost 10 months and 61lbs later, my appetite is the same.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I wish. I'm always hungry and eating less just makes it worse because 90% of my thoughts are about food.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Smaller people need smaller amounts of food.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I am not as hungry anymore, but I know it's because I'm eating more protein and fiber. Lots more.

I used to carb overload in a really bad way which led to constantly wanting more carbs. I tell people now I'm not doing low carb, just lower - much much lower lol.

I do have a day occasionally where I want to eat more and I'm fine with that because I still never go over maintenance calories then.