Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Form Check - Noob squatting. Knees hurt

Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_la-bIT2_0&feature=youtu.be

About me - 6'00" - 89 Kgs (196 lb)
Squat - 35 Kg (78 lb) (noob!!)

I am having clicking sound in knees and pain afterwards.

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Your knees are past your ankles when you bend down; you're squatting past 90 degrees. You're lifting too muh weight.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Is the clicking sound and pain at any point during the lift or is it after you've finished your workout?
  • jo7777777
    jo7777777 Posts: 30 Member
    Clicking sound is during squating. Pain is afterwards.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    There is a shift forward as your start the lift up. I’d want to see what is going on from the front or back view, but it does seem you’re moving center of weight too far back.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    edited January 2015
    Hmmm, my knees can sound like rice crispy cereal and it doesn't *necessarily* mean there's anything wrong with them.

The pain afterwards could be a problem, or not. My first guess would be that as your muscles are cooling and tightening up after your workout, it's pulling some on your knee and causing pain. I would try stretching and working with a foam roller when you feel it happening and see if that doesn't alleviate the pain.

As for your form, I don't see anything that would raise flags. Your knees are going past your feet, but that's ok, especially since you have a fair amount of leg.
    Squat_Bar_Placement.jpg
    I can't see from a side view, but as long as you're keeping your knees lined up with your toes, you should be good. (I actually can't keep them lined up easily, but it's a good rule of thumb for most)

As for depth, you are going well past parallel, which isn't strictly necessary (but certainly better than NOT hitting depth), but I don't think it's what's causing the issue.

Overall form looks really good to me.
  • jo7777777
    There is a shift forward as your start the lift up. I’d want to see what is going on from the front or back view, but it does seem you’re moving center of weight too far back.

Thanks! Is it because my hips are not back sufficiently? Would post front/ back on next squat day.
  • jo7777777
    Hmmm, my knees can sound like rice crispy cereal and it doesn't *necessarily* mean there's anything wrong with them.

The pain afterwards could be a problem, or not. My first guess would be that as your muscles are cooling and tightening up after your workout, it's pulling some on your knee and causing pain. I would try stretching and working with a foam roller when you feel it happening and see if that doesn't alleviate the pain.

As for your form, I don't see anything that would raise flags. Your knees are going past your feet, but that's ok, especially since you have a fair amount of leg.
    Squat_Bar_Placement.jpg
    I can't see from a side view, but as long as you're keeping your knees lined up with your toes, you should be good. (I actually can't keep them lined up easily, but it's a good rule of thumb for most)

As for depth, you are going well past parallel, which isn't strictly necessary (but certainly better than NOT hitting depth), but I don't think it's what's causing the issue.

Thanks! Much appreciated. As a noob, I was a bit worried. A small question - Are my hips going back sufficiently while starting? Also which muscles should be involved. I feel a lot of push comes from my knee and legs.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Looking at it again, it appears you’re going up on your toes. Which leads me to believe you have some mobility issues in your hips and ankles. Try doing an overhead squat with just the bar, video that with a front and side view. I think you’ll see you where your mobility limits the depth of the squat.
  • jo7777777
    Looking at it again, it appears you’re going up on your toes. Which leads me to believe you have some mobility issues in your hips and ankles. Try doing an overhead squat with just the bar, video that with a front and side view. I think you’ll see you where your mobility limits the depth of the squat.

Thanks a lot! Will do.
  • FullOnBurn
    FullOnBurn Posts: 43 Member
    Your hips do not need to push back for the high-bar style of squat you are doing. Start the squat by breaking at the knees and pretty much drop your butt straight down. As it has been pointed out, the weight looks like it is shifting forward as you drive out from the bottom and you end up on your toes more than the heel and mid foot. I suspect that you are going too deep for now, try a bit less depth until you get stronger
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    jo7777777 wrote: »

Squat_Bar_Placement.jpg

Thanks! Much appreciated. As a noob, I was a bit worried. A small question - Are my hips going back sufficiently while starting? Also which muscles should be involved. I feel a lot of push comes from my knee and legs.

I've been at this for a year so I'm hardly an expert, but in my experience squat form is something that I'm constantly having to tweak a bit. The start looks good to me. I do see some wobble and a shift forward in your weight at the bottom, but I'm thinking that's from the depth that you're going to and muscles that are still figuring out what they're doing. Yes I would try to avoid that shift forward, because it could cause problems, but it may fix itself if you stay closer to parallel.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    FullOnBurn wrote: »
    Your hips do not need to push back for the high-bar style of squat you are doing. Start the squat by breaking at the knees and pretty much drop your butt straight down. As it has been pointed out, the weight looks like it is shifting forward as you drive out from the bottom and you end up on your toes more than the heel and mid foot. I suspect that you are going too deep for now, try a bit less depth until you get stronger

Yes, this.
  • jo7777777
    Great, thanks!
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Can you describe the pain? Is it more like a constant dull ache or soreness or something sharp and really painful that hits in certain positions or is in any other way intermittent?

The first type I wouldn't worry about, it is probably just the noobiness. You could try a pair of neoprene knee-warmers, I find that they help me if I'm out of shape from not having squat for a while.
  • jo7777777
    It's dull ache! Thanks would try the knee warmers.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Your knees are past your ankles when you bend down; you're squatting past 90 degrees. You're lifting too muh weight.

I always love it when people give advice like this. Have you ever squatted in your life? All three things you've said are incorrect.

To the OP, you are getting good advice, I'm curious to see other angles too. Transferring weight to my toes hurts my knees too so I'm guessing that's a big part of it.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    DopeItUp wrote: »

I always love it when people give advice like this. Have you ever squatted in your life? All three things you've said are incorrect.

To the OP, you are getting good advice, I'm curious to see other angles too. Transferring weight to my toes hurts my knees too so I'm guessing that's a big part of it.

LOL, glad you said it.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    http://youtu.be/zoZWgTrZLd8

Basically move your hips back and knees out.