Do you log tea?

Options
Sorry if this is a silly question, but I drink a lot of tea per day (regular or flavoured green tea or matcha, probably a litre or two every day). I do not use sugar nor any other sweeteners, just the tea and water. But finding the specific tea brands or their nutritional information can be a bit tricky so I tried adding things from the database that sounded similar - until I found out a thing I had been logging wasn't even proper tea, but rather some energy drink.
Should I worry about the calories I get from tea or can I just leave it out (or add some quick calories to be sure)?

Replies

• LizN63
    LizN63 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't log tea unless it has milk or sugar in it. I drink black tea, but I would do the same for plain green. If it's flavoured I suppose it depends what it's flavoured with. Can you scan the barcode?
  • shrek1970uk
    shrek1970uk Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Do you add milk to your tea? If not, you don't need to log just tea & water.

Using milk, just log the milk. Measure how much milk you add to your normal cup of tea, & just log that everytime.

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I log it as water, but tend to skip if I've had a lot of caffeine already.
  • shrek1970uk
    shrek1970uk Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yes you should definitely log the sugar!

(Forgot about that lol)
  • CetteFaconChimique
    Options
    I only log tea if there's milk and/or sweetener in it - because I always make my tea the same way, I put it in as one of my recipes, so it's very easy to log it.
  • JoseyNguyen
    Options
    I honestly just log it. Anything I say or put into my body I log, it helps me be accountable. I also have an app called Water Your Body because I tend not to drink enough water/liquids. You can just get that app,
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    It has no calories. I don't log it. Sometimes I count it as water. Sometimes not.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Tea has 1-2 calories per cup, so unless you drink more than 30 cups a day (that would be about 8 liters.. so I doubt it) you don't need to log it.

food logging, even very accurate logging, has a bigger margin of error than all the tea you drink.

If it makes you feel better, log it. Otherwise, it really is not necessary.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I log it just because I am in the habit of logging everything. However, since it really adds nothing, or very minimal calories, you don't have to log it. It's just a personal choice on my part.
  • awesomewastaken
    awesomewastaken Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I drink just the tea - teabag or loose leaves with water. No milk, sugar or anything.

The flavoured ones are either Lipton Indonesian Sencha, Gurmans' Green Tea with Guarana or some Teekanne teas. They should be rather natural, not with artificial ingredients, so hopefully not too much junk (or calories) in them.
  • ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I log the tea bag just to log everything. I do count it as a cup of water too.
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I log mine and make a note of what I used to sweeten it (usually honey or stevia). Tea is good for you and comforting and when you look back at your diary to try to see what works for you it is nice to see exactly what you consumed, even if certain things didn't have calories. I log my multivitamins too :)
  • SandyCoils
    SandyCoils Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Codilee87 wrote: »
    I log mine and make a note of what I used to sweeten it (usually honey or stevia). Tea is good for you and comforting and when you look back at your diary to try to see what works for you it is nice to see exactly what you consumed, even if certain things didn't have calories. I log my multivitamins too :)

I agree. I haven't had tea in the week that I have been on here, but I also log everything. I log my meds & vitamins too. I made a new section under my food log where I only log my meds. My gummy vitamins have cals & sugar, so I like keeping up with that. If I start picking & choosing the things I log, I will get too laxed and start omitting things that I feel may not matter, so I can't get in the habit of doing that.
  • ButYouGotMySoul
    ButYouGotMySoul Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I log my tea, but only because I want to see how many cups I'm having in a day - I tend to lose track quite quickly. I also add ~1/2 tbsp honey, so that adds up quickly and it's good to know where I can cut back.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I don't. I use no milk or sweetener, so I don't see the need. If you want to track it to be aware of how much caffeine you're getting if it's caffeinated, that serves a purpose (that's the only reason I log my black coffee). But in terms of calories, only the stuff you add to it matters.
  • Papatoad194
    Papatoad194 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I only track calories, so if they have none. I don't track it, coffee , tea, water, all goes into water. This is me. This may change as I approach my chosen weight.
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I only log tea or coffee if I add sugar or milk to it. If not then I include it as water.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    when I drink tea, I log the honey I put in it, and I also count the ounces of water for each glass. but the tea bag itself? nope.
  • amtru2015
    amtru2015 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    if you don't add anything in, it has no calories. Its just flavored water.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have mine with milk but can't be bothered to log it. I know I should, but I'm losing weight without logging it so I don't worry.

ETA: pure water and tea are the only things I don't log.