Need Advice To Fight The Sugar Cravings Ahhh ://

Options
2»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    my trick is …eat the damn sugar and hit my calorie/macro/micro goals…..lost 50 pounds and kept it off doing that...

I assumed that she craves an unreasonable amount of sugar (as I do sometimes). Such that she wouldn't hit her calorie/macro/micro goals. If I'm wrong, then I agree, have the sugar.

well OP never came back, so I guess we will never know …

• ndj1979
    Options
    I am right there with you! Sugar addiction is a legit thing! I'm trying to learn to eat in moderation because I have learned that when I go cold turkey, I end up sabotaging myself in the long run. Also, try not to beat yourself up. Treat yourself just as you would someone else in the same situation, not harder.
    Anyone is welcome to add me. Motivation and encouragement is best when shared!

so sugar addiction is real but instead of eliminating it should be eaten in moderation?

that is like telling a crackhead to just smoke crack once a week instead of daily….

sigh….
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    The only thing that worked for me was to eliminate sweets completely. Moderation didn't work for me because not long after eating a small amount, I would get massive cravings for more. So now I just don't bring any sweets into my home, other than high cocoa dark chocolate which has a relatively low amount of sugar. It is much easier to control my environment than to have iron willpower 24 hours a day.

If I occasionally want to have a little treat, I do it outside the home so I can't overindulge and undo all the good I have done.
  • cassandra884
    cassandra884 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you! Sugar addiction is a legit thing! I'm trying to learn to eat in moderation because I have learned that when I go cold turkey, I end up sabotaging myself in the long run. Also, try not to beat yourself up. Treat yourself just as you would someone else in the same situation, not harder.

so sugar addiction is real but instead of eliminating it should be eaten in moderation?

that is like telling a crackhead to just smoke crack once a week instead of daily….

sigh….

I strongly suggest that you leave this discussion considering you haven't had anything nice to say to any of the previous commenters.
    Perhaps you should do a little research before making asinine statements.
  • cassandra884
    cassandra884 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    The only thing that worked for me was to eliminate sweets completely. Moderation didn't work for me because not long after eating a small amount, I would get massive cravings for more. So now I just don't bring any sweets into my home, other than high cocoa dark chocolate which has a relatively low amount of sugar. It is much easier to control my environment than to have iron willpower 24 hours a day.

If I occasionally want to have a little treat, I do it outside the home so I can't overindulge and undo all the good I have done.

I completely agree with you. I, too, do not keep sweets in my home for that very reason. My "sweet" arsenal consists of honey and pure maple syrup. It's outside the home that I struggle.
    Everyone is different and different things work for different people.
  • ndj1979
    Options

sigh….

I strongly suggest that you leave this discussion considering you haven't had anything nice to say to any of the previous commenters.
    Perhaps you should do a little research before making asinine statements.

telling OP its ok to eat sugar is not being nice?

and sugar is not addictive…its just a food source that is utilized for energy. If it truly was addictive then you would not tell someone to eat in moderation, just like you would not tell a crack head to smoke crack in moderation.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I find eating high-fiber foods, enough protein, and enough water helps avoid sugar cravings.

When I get them, sometimes after I've had treats, like a family celebration, or sometimes hormonally, I try to wait it out, have a glass of water, do some exercise or chores, remind myself that the cravings will die down if I ignore them, focus on why I want to lose weight, or have some foods that I find for me stop my cravings. For some reason, having some celery, or 1/4 cup of yogurt, or brown rice generally stops my cravings. If I'm still craving after one celery stalk, having another is no big deal (often less than 15 calories).

It is a struggle, but ususally the cravings will diminish soon (for me usually within a couple of days) as long as you are eating healthily and at a sustainable deficit most of the time. Good luck :)
  • supergirlbanana
    supergirlbanana Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    2 bananas one cup of oatmeal- mix up until it looks like cookie dough and add some chocolate chips/nuts/coconuts and bake at 350 for 15 minutes you have guilt free cookies! You get fiber and sweetness without wrecking your calories.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I had a sugar craving the other day so I ate a piece of chocolate cake the size of my face. For dinner.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I had a sugar craving the other day so I ate a piece of chocolate cake the size of my face. For dinner.

Stop being mean!!!
  • arditarose
    Options

Stop being mean!!!

Sorry!!! Just sayin'
  • Sarah1090
    Options
    I love dehyrated fruit when I'm craving sugar!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Those high cacao bars by Lindt, we got one that is 90% cacao (not very much sugar, just enough not to be bitter) and it is 60 calories for one square. I have started allowing myself one square a day. It's actually really satisfying and very rich in flavor. The cacao is good for you. See if you can locate something like that.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Sarah1090 wrote: »
    I love dehyrated fruit when I'm craving sugar!

Umm fruit has sugar in it
  • much_ado
    Options
    my trick is …eat the damn sugar and hit my calorie/macro/micro goals…..lost 50 pounds and kept it off doing that...

Whatever works for you and keeps you happy.

I'm quite happy over here swapping out the foods with hidden sugars for healthy alternatives. The benefits are greater than a change of number on the scales. And I refuse to end up diabetic like my mother, aunts and grandparents. Not the legacy I want for my children.

• sncoombs
    Options

I completely agree with you. I, too, do not keep sweets in my home for that very reason. My "sweet" arsenal consists of honey and pure maple syrup. It's outside the home that I struggle.
    Everyone is different and different things work for different people.

I'm exactly the same - my mindset of "one piece of chocolate" turns into the entire bar - then a cake of coke and I'm back to square one! Cold turkey was the only thing to get me through!!
    Find what works for you and smash it!! :smile:
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options

As a serious carb abuser for many years I too had to eliminate sweets because I could not "manage" them. I do not think people who have never been addicted to carbs can understand the addiction of sugar.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options

Been there and done that.

• Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I stopped adding sugar to my foods a few weeks ago - no more sugar in tea, no more sugar on fruit, no more sugar eating, etc. It took three weeks for it to become habit. I found that I craved other things - candy, cookies ... this thing has me in its grip. I'm on week 2 of no candy, and starting Week 1 of no cookies. Baby steps. Very difficult, but I know I can do this.
  • arditarose
    Options

Been there and done that.

Yes, but I don't see the problem with it. I planned for it the whole week and it was delicious and I'll still lose weight.