Can formerly obese people really get fit/abs?

Options

Replies

• pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and started out at 196. I'm now around 125. I have abs - see my photos. So, yes, its very possible.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and started out at 196. I'm now around 125. I have abs - see my photos. So, yes, its very possible.

Wow! You're a beast! Phenomenal.
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    look anything remotely similar to this:

Yes, if you lose the weight and build some muscle, plus also have professional hair and make up, professional lighting, a boob job and extensive photoshopping.

In fact, you could probably skip all the rest and just go right for photoshop.

You can definitely get fit if you stick with it. You can get your body fat percentage down. You may (probably will) have to contend with loose skin which might tighten up somewhat if you are young and have elastic skin, or might never be that tight again without surgery. I know you said 'minus the boobs' but I can't resist pointing out that a woman with a low enough body fat percentage to show abs will not have boobs that big without surgery and/or serious photo editing.
    I'm 18 so maybe it will spring back? Possibly?

@ Johnny- then yay :D but I'll definitely check it out. Maybe it can give me some new ides

@Pobalita- you look awesome
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I too started out in right on the line of the obese range with a BMI of 30.

OP, you are doing everything right, including the weight lifting - in addition to eating at a deficit, weight lifting is the best thing you can do for yourself to achieve your desired look.

It's not going to happen overnight. It took me just over a year to get to my goal weight, and I am pleased to say I have no loose skin, no pooch, and very defined abs. So yes, while it's not guaranteed, it's definitely possible. You are also far younger than me, so again, you have that in your favor.

As far as seeing the numbers on the scale and your measurements, but not seeing it in the mirror, that's only your head talking. Ignore it. You are well on your way to a healthier and fuller life.

Enjoy!
  • RobynLB83
    Options

Yes, if you lose the weight and build some muscle, plus also have professional hair and make up, professional lighting, a boob job and extensive photoshopping.

You can definitely get fit if you stick with it. You can get your body fat percentage down. You may (probably will) have to contend with loose skin which might tighten up somewhat if you are young and have elastic skin, or might never be that tight again without surgery. I know you said 'minus the boobs' but I can't resist pointing out that a woman with a low enough body fat percentage to show abs will not have boobs that big without surgery and/or serious photo editing.

@ Johnny- then yay :D but I'll definitely check it out. Maybe it can give me some new ides

You're only 18? Oh, jeeze, you're young as hell. You should have no problem. 18 year old skin is like magic. Wait... did I just sound like Hannibal Lecter?
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    A good book: Secrets of Skinny Chicks, in which the author profiles 20 plus women with those "hot bodies".

The take away:

You have to train like an athlete to look like that..count every calorie, reduce your body fat to almost a dangerous level for a woman.

I think unless you aspire to be a fitness model, that can of goal is unrealistic.

There's nothing wrong with looking like a healthy adult woman who has lived a life! My pooch is cause I created a whole human being...!

I don't think training like an athlete, counting calories, and reducing your bodyfat is unrealistic if that's what someone chooses to prioritize. It's not that huge of a time commitment (maybe 14 hours per week between 10 hrs training and the odds and ends of planning and keeping track of everything). That's about the time commitment of any hobby, and less than most people spend watching TV.

Good point!

My point was that you have to be willing to put in that time, and 14 hours a week isn't something that everyone wants to do. The women in Skinny Chicks (Julia Roberts bodydouble in Pretty Women, some fitness magazine cover models probably do spend at least that amount of time to look the way they do.)

Reading all the thread, it seems that this OP has a goal to be in the fitness industry, in which case, a good route might be to find a mentor here who has achieved her goals and/or to find a mentor IRL.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    Options
    A good book: Secrets of Skinny Chicks, in which the author profiles 20 plus women with those "hot bodies".

The take away:

You have to train like an athlete to look like that..count every calorie, reduce your body fat to almost a dangerous level for a woman.

I think unless you aspire to be a fitness model, that can of goal is unrealistic.

There's nothing wrong with looking like a healthy adult woman who has lived a life! My pooch is cause I created a whole human being...!

I don't think training like an athlete, counting calories, and reducing your bodyfat is unrealistic if that's what someone chooses to prioritize. It's not that huge of a time commitment (maybe 14 hours per week between 10 hrs training and the odds and ends of planning and keeping track of everything). That's about the time commitment of any hobby, and less than most people spend watching TV.

Agreed, Robyn. During my weight loss phase, I worked out for five hours a week (one hour per day, five days a week), with a combination of strength, cardio and HIIT training. That's not a lot when you think about what you might be doing otherwise, like watching tv or surfing the Internet. Now that I'm in maintenance, I've cut it back to 4x per week.

I hate the above kind of posts that encourage people to just "do nothing." Why are they even here on this site?
  • RoadsterGirlie
    Options

The take away:

Agreed, Robyn. During my weight loss phase, I worked out for five hours a week (one hour per day, five days a week), with a combination of strength, cardio and HIIT training. That's not a lot when you think about what you might be doing otherwise, like watching tv or surfing the Internet. Now that I'm in maintenance, I've cut it back to 4x per week.

Look at my pictures - I've achieved fantastic results, and am now at that "dangerously low, unhealthy BF percentage" that this poster is describing. (I'm being sarcastic, btw).

I don't think there's anything wrong with using fitspo/thinspo as motivation as long as you realize everybody has different body types and that two people will completely different at the same BMI / BF percentage.
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I know there are a lot of people on this site that swear by heavy lifting only, but they have no leg to stand on. Even my heavy duty body builder friends do some cardio. Google "Body for Life cardio plan." It's a 20 minute, progressively more intense cardio session.

But, yes, you can be all kinds of ripped if you stick with it.

I want to say that i am a heavy lifter, ive done the sl5x5 program and now am I'm the nrol4w, and alot of the lifting is designed for FAT loss, not weight loss. And as for steady state cardio, it's better to look into HIIT. Shorter burst short workout max burn!!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    If you want to be a trainer, my recommendation is to pull away from the internet, put the magazines down, and go talk to some real trainers in the gym. See what they look like and ask them about what inspired them to be fit and share fitness with the world. Chances are, some of them used to be fat too.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    yes
  • shannongoneau
    shannongoneau Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    <-- Have a ways to go to look like the pic, the biggest hinderance will be flappy skin. But it's doable!

I weigh 152lbs, but am a size 4/6US (8/10UK). BF% is 29 (aiming for 24)

Yep. Doable.

Thank you for posting that!!!!! I'm a size 12 and weigh 215, according to some I should be a size 16/18.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    You are young enough that the skin will probably tighten up pretty well on its own. The main thing you need to be concerned about is a slow, steady rate of loss. If you lose too fast, you'll be dropping muscle and your skin won't be able to adjust to your smaller body that fast, either. Try to eat the number of calories that will have you dropping 1-2 lbs per week at a maximum.
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much <3
  • RobynLB83
    Options

You're only 18? Oh, jeeze, you're young as hell. You should have no problem. 18 year old skin is like magic. Wait... did I just sound like Hannibal Lecter?
    No, you just sound like Buffalo Bill..."it puts the lotion on its skin"...
    And anyone can look like that pic, with enough airbrushing, saline, and pancake makeup.

Buffalo Bill! That's who it was!
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I was morbidly obese. I weighed 380 pounds and now im just under 200 pounds. I actually joined a new gym last week and they had me do a fitness test and then end comment was "awesome you are really fit and strong". So yes getting fit you definitely can do....I have quite good cardio fitness and actually feel fitter then most people in my life. I dont have a 6 pack or anything for 2 reasons...one i still have body fat and two i prolly never will cos i will always have excess skin. But the said you can slightly see the start of ab muscles. :)
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    According to my doctor I will never be a skinny minny because of my genetics. She told me that as long as I am fit, i will be okay. Not sure about the flat tummy part because I have never had one so the doctor has no idea whether or not I will ever get one, but with being a mommy to a 16 month old and 24 with loose skin already, I can only hope (mind you I have been overweight all my life so I don't know what a flat tummy looks like).

If you work hard, you can get fit and abs, but that requires shrinking body fat, and with you being 18, your skin will bounce back. 1-2lbs is sustainable and healthy. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!