Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Eating Plans

Hi,

I'm trying to tone/lose weight. I've recently got my gym plan started out and lost 1 lb last week. However I need to sort out my diet. I feel like I should be eating around 2000 calories a day, whether that's right or not I don't know but what type of things should I be eating through the day? A few examples would really help.

Thanks
George

(Side note, I find it hard to find food that 'fills me up' hence why I eat a lot of carbs which is where I think I need to change my diet. Some clarification would really help)

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    As a male you can likely eat more than 2000 calories. You can eat whatever you want as long as you eat within your calories. Unless you have specific body composition goals, it's solely about eating fewer calories than you burn.

Protein and fat are satiating.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    What sort of guidance do you want? Like a formal meal plan? For weight loss? For health?

Congrats on getting started!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    What are your stats? It's hard to tell if 2000 is an appropriate calorie goal.

If your goal is strictly weight loss, it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you're in a calorie deficit. However, as said above, protein and fat will keep you fuller. If you're looking to preserve muscle at the same time, then you'll need to focus on getting enough protein and doing some strength training.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    MFP should have given you a daily caloric goal, based on the information you inputed when you set it up.
  • cbeggs810
    cbeggs810 Posts: 8 Member
    Eliminate wheat and carbs and you will find you are not hungry. You eliminate and you will lose the blood sugar spikes and drops and the urge to want to eat. I am doing the high fat/protein, not counting calories, eating when my body tells me its hungry and stops when its full. I am averaging 1/2 lb a day weight loss, no hunger cravings and an additional note bulletproof coffee is awesome! This eating style is wonderful for regulating your blood sugar and hormones, weight loss and great for healing gut related issues.
  • Liftng4Lis
    cbeggs810 wrote: »
    Eliminate wheat and carbs and you will find you are not hungry. You eliminate and you will lose the blood sugar spikes and drops and the urge to want to eat. I am doing the high fat/protein, not counting calories, eating when my body tells me its hungry and stops when its full. I am averaging 1/2 lb a day weight loss, no hunger cravings and an additional note bulletproof coffee is awesome! This eating style is wonderful for regulating your blood sugar and hormones, weight loss and great for healing gut related issues.

NO!
    This is a 19 year old boy you're advising!
  • Thank you
    Maybe I should have been more specific. I am looking lose weight but I also want to keep the muscle I have. Also I am 220 Lb and am 5'11 if that helps. If anything else is needed just ask.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Thank you
    Maybe I should have been more specific. I am looking lose weight but I also want to keep the muscle I have. Also I am 220 Lb and am 5'11 if that helps. If anything else is needed just ask.
    Stay within your caloric allowance and make sure you're getting your protein, as it helps maintain muscle and keeps you sated.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    0.8 x your total weight for protein grams as a general guide and strength training (3-5 reps for ~3 sets will likely work best while you are in a deficit). 0.5-1lb/week goal for weight loss to reduce how much lean mass you'll lose.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Thank you

First: ignore the "eliminate carbs" comment. If you are dieting you're already probably reducing your carbs, especially if you follow IIFYM (www.iifym.com)
    Second: read this. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
    Third: EAT ENOUGH.
    Fourth: Use #2 to figure out your TDEE and BMR. Eat between those numbers. Eat enough.
    Fifth: fuel your workouts with nutrient dense foods.

Good luck!
  • Okay Thank you all. However just one other thing. In summer I was a lot slimmer and I had protein shakes. Are they worth it or not? I used to have the post-workout.
  • Liftng4Lis
    You're better off eating real food. Protein shakes are great to get that extra protein when you have calories available.