Thinking about letting Weight Watchers go and do MFP exclusively.

Options
I am a WW member and I also have been tracking on MFP. The message boards on MFP are much more inspirational and helpful. The points system is starting to frustrate me because everything has to be changed to points. Has anyone else done weight watchers and decided to do MFP exclusively. Looking for your insight. Thanks...

Replies

• Josyurtos23
    Josyurtos23 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I no longer will go to weight watchers. Don't get me wrong, it's a good plan but for me it was only short term. I also like the fact that I can see nutritional values as I go along. With mfp I generally concentrate on if I'm getting enough protiein so that I will feel fuller. With ww it was just point values and I was always hungry. I tried core but never tracked the non core foods so after a while I have as getting complacent.

I feel more focused with mfp for the fact that my weigh in is during the week in the morning. I used to go on Thursday nights and weigh in after work my weight was always higher on their scales. I need to stay on track (or as best as I can) 24-7. The instructor used to joke and say that some members referred to Thursday's after weigh in was "piggy nite"meaning that you didn't have to keep track of your points after weigh inane you could just go binge. I'm guilty for falling into that mentality.

I also felt that the weekly meetings were good but not addressing my issues with food. It felt very generic.

I hope this helps. The best of luck to you on your journey.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Yes yes, join us!
  • leelee99075
    leelee99075 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Funny, I was just thinking about this tonight. I did WW before...a few times. Although I liked the idea behind WW, I am finding MFP much more beneficial. On WW I found myself using points on snack type foods a lot and not really worrying about the overall nutrition of the meal. Using MFP, I feel I am focusing on nutrition more. I must admit I only started MFP in late Dec. after losing 60 lbs on my own.
  • janiceclark08
    janiceclark08 Posts: 1,341 Member
    Options
    I like the fact that you dont have to go to meetings, and pay for them. I was very successful with WW the first time I went and lost all my weight and became a lifetime member. However 10 years later when I had gained alot of weight, I went back and it just wasnt the same. I quit after a few months. But I did have a different leader, and she wasnt like my initial leader, that I liked so well. Any way I have been on mfp for 11months and have lost 51 lbs, unless you really enjoy WW, I would try using this alone. Use the money you normally spend on meetings for something special for yourself for losing weight
  • arsherma
    arsherma Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I tried weight watchers for a few months and then discovered MFP. I can now actually feel my weightloss..I started and stopped but now I am 100% focused and I am very proud I lost more weight in a month doing it with this app then with WW. MFP has more foods in the database, more support, and FREE.99..LOL but overall it's WAAAAAAAY better...if you are determined to lose the weight then yes save your money. DEFINITELY don't waste your money on that active link...what a waste. WW gave me a great foundation though on how to actually eat what I want. Just making better choices and exercising more and it feels great. Everyone is very helpful on here.
  • mainebeachbum
    mainebeachbum Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Points don't translate to the real world, and they change the point system every few years! A calorie is a calorie! MFP really helps you understand your food choices if you choose to look at the macros.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I switched from WW to MFP. I had gotten really frustrated in the points system. I used to understand it a few years ago, but with the most recent changes and the way the points are calculated now, just didn't make sense to me any longer. I quit following WW and started using MFP exclusively a few months ago.
  • Kristyai3
    Kristyai3 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight on WW, but as soon as I stopped attending meetings the weight would always come back. MFP taught me to be accountable to myself rather than trying to earn accolades from the group or stars on my bookmark.
  • Brandie43
    Brandie43 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am considering a change too been doing ww for sometime and i am a big fan but i'm stuck and would like a fresh look at things. Also I really want to focus on fitness. I find it a bit frustrating to find everything on here though and was wondering if there is a simple way to use their program. I'm sure it's simple but i have a way of making everything difficult untill i figure it out. The wonderful thing on here are the many people and sharing that goes on.