How to minimize hips at a slim weight?

Options
I'm a 19 year old male and this year, I went from weighing 190 to 150. Yes, I realize this is a very light weight for most men, especially considering I'm 6'2". I achieved this a lot more through dieting than exercising, which was not a good call. Here's my biggest issue(s) right now:

When I was overweight, I hated how wide my hips were. Now that I'm slim and have (almost) a flat stomach, albeit with no definition, they still look the same to me. I realize that my wide hip bones are genetic and there's nothing I can do about that, but my hips make me look larger than I really am. It also really doesn't help that I have a very small upper body and arms. My main questions are:

What exercises can I do to minimize my hips?
What exercises should I AVOID (since I'm sure some exercises make hip muscles larger)?
What can I do to add definition to my ab area? I'm already at a large calorie deficit and I'm not sure what exercises will help me. I have an ab wheel.

Thanks!

gmp4yxttt9wu.jpg

aukge53y31ys.jpg

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Lift weights.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    OP, I'm not saying you have body dysmorphia.... but... >_>

If you want my advice i would suggest you focus on building muscle. You cant make your hips magically shrink (honestly, i see hip BONES which aren't going anywhere anytime soon) but you can build a V-Taper which will make you look more even and proportional. This will make your waist look significantly smaller than it is.

This will require that you do the following:
    Eat at a calorie SURPLUS
    Eat enough protein (1g per pound lbm)
    lift HEAVY weights
    Perform compound exercises and a rounded lifting routine

You aren't going to get the results you likely want with an "ab wheel" and "calorie deficit" as you're going right now.

I just found an example online of a v-taper before and after. By adding muscle to the chest, back, arms, etc. you create the illusion of a more defined waist.
    bony-to-beastly-transformation-shane-ectomorph.jpg
  • JTennis1995
    JTennis1995 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

If you want my advice i would suggest you focus on building muscle. You cant make your hips magically shrink (honestly, i see hip BONES which aren't going anywhere anytime soon) but you can build a V-Taper which will make you look more even and proportional. This will make your waist look significantly smaller than it is.

Eat at a calorie SURPLUS
    lift HEAVY weights

You aren't going to get the results you likely want with an "ab wheel" and "calorie deficit" as you're going right now.

I just found an example online of a v-taper before and after. By adding muscle to the chest, back, arms, etc. you create the illusion of a more defined waist.

Not sure if my pictures do my hips 'justice' though.

Does that mean my stomach will get larger since I would eat at a surplus?
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Your idea of big hips makes me sad inside. I have some serrrrrious child bearing hips and I don't even have kids.

Someone mentioned body dysmorphia. Might be close to that. =/
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Eat at a calorie SURPLUS
    lift HEAVY weights

You'll gain everywhere, just like when you lost it came off everywhere. The lifting program will make sure it's more muscle than fat. Then when you feel you've gained enough muscle, you'll go back and cut that fat down.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have to tell you, I am just not seeing the thing with the hips that you're seeing, like at all. Like that idea would never even occur to me. Your hips look fine!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Eat at a calorie SURPLUS
    lift HEAVY weights

I honestly think you may have body dysmorphia. It's like you see something as way worse than it is and you're super self concious about it.

But, I can see what youre referring to in the image provided just fine. The problem is that you lack any serious muscle mass and you have body fat. You are what i'd consider "skinny fat". It just makes you look soft, without definition, and have protruding hip bones.

To fix this you need to gain muscle, and THEN lose the remaining fat as you see fit.

In order to gain muscle (or create new muscle fibers) your body requires energy. This means you MUST be eating more calories than you need to maintain your current weight. Will you inevitably gain some fat while you are building muscle? Absolutely. But, it is significantly easier to lose body fat than it is to gain muscle. It's also important to mention that you may gain fat ANYWHERE it's up to your body to decide.

The trick is to eat at a small surplus to minimize fat gains.
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    You don't need to slim your hips but you could easily bulk up in the chest and shoulder area to make your hips look leaner by comparison.
  • oxlisaxo91
    oxlisaxo91 Posts: 67 Member
    Options

Eat at a calorie SURPLUS
    lift HEAVY weights

This is so spot on.

OP, I know eating in a surplus sounds scary but think about it you're not going to turn into a balloon overnight, take your time and go read through some clean bulking websites and threads. This is exactly what you want.

• Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I'll go out on a limb here and say that your hips look big to you because your upper body is not yet developed. It's just an age thing that we all went through. Nobody was born with a V shape body. ( ok maybe a few lucky genetic lottery winners )

There is nothing you can do to change your hip bone width which leaves you with adding muscle to your upper body.

The reason why eating at a surplus is mentioned is there are to basic rules you must know.
    1. To lose fat you must eat at a calorie deficit
    2. To add muscle mass you must eat at a calorie surplus.

If you were to simple eat at a surplus without lifting heavy then you are correct, you would add fat not muscle.
    Adding muscle requires specific type of weight training and proper diet macros. Get this wrong and you will likely be wasting time and effort.