Watch calories for the rest of my life?

Options
Does anyone out there feel like they will always have to count calories in order to maintain their weight? Once I reach my goal weight, and I'm far from it, I feel like I will always have to count calories and exercise religiously in order to maintain.

I know that your BMR will tell you how much your body needs just to stay alive, but I feel that if I ate those calories I would gain weight at this point, and I don't want to constantly think about what foods I'm eating for the next 60 years..

:0/

Replies

• mlv333
    mlv333 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    After lots of practice, you won't need to be as diligent as you are now. This is us changing our behavior which takes a LOOOOOONG time. I don't know about you, but I'm pretty stubborn in my ways. If I see good free food, I'm going to eat it. The only thing keeping me from it is the fact that I'll have to document it all :ohwell:
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I guess once you start doing it, it becomes second nature. You know what's good for you - what you should be eating and what you shoudn't be eating. I don't plan on logging my food the rest of my life, but I also know what to avoid putting in my mouth.
    And with the exercise - You should do that for the rest of your life to maintain the healthy lifestyle that you are working so hard to get to! I don't know about you, But I feel good when I exercise.
    I guess it's all about how you look at it. For me, it's not a DIET, it's a healthier way of life...
  • evanbeek
    evanbeek Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    That's what's I really like about MFP. Not only is it helping me watch calories, but it's subconsciously building better habits. Even after only a few months I find myself doing things like:

- skipping on the free cinnamon rolls at work
    - stopping eating when i am full
    - ordering water instead of soda
    - buying vegetables for snacks instead of candy

The list goes on and on. The best part? Because I only realize I've done these things after the fact, it means that they are becoming healthy habits. And just like any other habit, at some point you can stop tracking your calories, because you are doing it without thinking about it. : )
  • Solandra
    Solandra Posts: 84
    Options
    On the other hand, any medical issues aside, most of us got here by *not* being mindful of what we ate and how we used our bodies.

I look at it this way: why take the chance? I might learn how to successfully fuel and burn calories over the course of loosing the weight I want to loose. I might learn it so well that I can continue to do so without the reminder and guidance of sitting down to log what I'm eating and what I'm doing during a day. I might keep the weight off and never have to look at this website again, just step on the scales each week and move on with my life.

On the other hand, my body will change as I loose weight and as I age. I don't want to return to this particular physical condition after I loose weight and gain muscle mass.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Really, this is just training for me. Since I'm doing this all day everyday, I'm getting to know just about how many calories everything has in it so if I don't have the internet pulled up, I can have a general idea of where I'm at during the day. You won't have to be as strict during maintenance as you are now because you won't be worried about burning fat. You'll get used to eating a certain way and you'll have a better idea of what you can eat and how much of it and when you get full and how long you stay full on certain foods, etc. So no, I don't think you'll be counting calories the rest of your life.
  • DwightJenkins
    DwightJenkins Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I think the propensity to be fat will always be a part of my life and I intend to weight once a week for the rest of it. I don't think I'll need to count calories every day, although I've really learned to enjoy healthier and smaller meals, but if I see the weight budge above an extra pound or two, it will be time to step back and get back on the program for a while. I'm too dang old to play yo yo anymore, and I can't gain weight again. So I'll need to be diligent, but I don't think that will rule my life. I know I rambled more than usual but I think you'll get it. Not going back to redo it now. :)
  • fishernd
    fishernd Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Everything you've said is true.

I just wonder.. Where did it go wrong for me (and for others)? For all those "naturally" skinny and/or healthy people out there, were they taught a different way to eat? Were they brought up within a more strict eating environment?

How do these people know how to eat a healthy amount of food and mix in sweets without going way over on calories?

And are these "lucky" people just good at eating? Or do they REALLY have a good metabolism or both?

I guess I just wish it was easy. Food is supposed to be fuel! Not something to stress you out every hour of every day!
  • LycraLegs
    LycraLegs Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I think we probably will. as most of us dont have those super fast metabolisms, as we have sweet/savory tooths instead, we will alwayq have to be concious of what we eat. We will always have to excercise, and realise that what we eat should only be enough fuel to keep us doing the activites we chose, but hopefully it will get easier!
    We should know instinctively if its been a good day or not.... the sooner we realise that this is a long time commitment, that we have yo-yo'd before is because we didnt realise that healthy eating is for life! One day it will come naturally, but I agree that right now it's hard work!

GOOD LUCK LADIES!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Everything you've said is true.

I just wonder.. Where did it go wrong for me (and for others)? For all those "naturally" skinny and/or healthy people out there, were they taught a different way to eat? Were they brought up within a more strict eating environment?

How do these people know how to eat a healthy amount of food and mix in sweets without going way over on calories?

And are these "lucky" people just good at eating? Or do they REALLY have a good metabolism or both?

I think it's a little bit of all that with other people. My boyfriend eats a ton and in the 9 months we've been together, he's only gained 2 or 3 inches on his waist, whereas I gained 6 on my waist in just 3 months. Of course, I gain weight differently than he does. He gains it JUST in his belly (like a typical guy - lol) and I gain it in my stomach, my waist, hips, thighs, butt!

Just be diligent now and I'm sure it will become second nature to you.
  • 623Hernandez
    623Hernandez Posts: 458
    Options
    I feel the same way. But I am hoping it will become habit. I am trying to look at it like this; If I had diabetes or some other illness I would all ways count sugars or whatever I had to do to stay alive. I hope it will get easier too, and soon! I think once I get to my goal weight I will be allowed more calories. I have all so noticed that once I changed the way I ate I am actually eating more. Veggies are low in calories and I have found it hard to eat all my whopping 1200 calories because I am full. Yes, I said it! Me full!? I am struggling with it all still. I am on week 3 and can't wait for it all to get easier. I hate not being able to drink cocktails!!!!! I also hate that I hate exercising! But the more exercising the more calories I can have. More calories mean a treat or cocktails! Well sorry I spouted off on you post. I guess I needed to get that off my chest. Good luck!
    :wink:
  • kwaters7
    kwaters7 Posts: 129
    Options
    agree totally with Smuelbauer - it's a way of life. And the paradigm shifts pretty quickly, good choices become a habit as was mentioned by another poster. So here's the question re-phrased...

Be fit and fast for the rest of my life?

Be able to easily control food impulses for the rest of my life?

Be healthy and happier for the rest of my life?

Sleep better and not ever have to lose weight outwith set parameters like +/- 4 pounds either way

Be in the low-risk category for all those illnesses that you worry about once you realise that you're no longer in your 20s?

Like the look in the mirror... and so on ,

Yes please!!!

a little info - i'm on maintenance and have been for the past few weeks - it's actually easier than losing. It's just a habit now to eat well and exercise regularly, i worry more about what training i'm gonna do and match my fuels (sorry food ;-) ) to that. I reckon that it becomes sooooo much easier psychologically after a while, I would really have a horrible time if i had to be as conscientious as i used to be. it becomes unconscious behavior to do the right things - not sure i could ever touch pizza or chinese again knowing how much i'd have to run to burn it off and how bad they'd make me feel.

I wish you the very best of luck! Sounds like you are on the right track just by giving the long-term view consideration...
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    For me, my weight loss journey has just taught me awareness...(portion size, calories in/out, etc) maybe to a point of OCD....but I think I have a little bit of that to begin with. :laugh:
    Will I have to think about it the rest of my life, yeah probably. I'm okay with that (for me) cause I know it will keep me healthy and fit and looking (hopefully) cute! :bigsmile: small price to pay IMO