How long will it take to lose 30 lbs?

Options
I am 24 5'5" and weigh 163 lbs. I have started working out about 5-6 days a week and burn roughly 490-600 calories each time I work out. In addition I have cut back on my calories to about 1,200 a day. How long will it take for me to lose 25-30 lbs?

Replies

• Seraphina_Rowan
    Seraphina_Rowan Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, no one can completely guess how long it would take to lose that amount of weight. My suggestion is to set your goal to lose 0.5lbs a week and start from there.
  • lexinicole242
    lexinicole242 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree with PrincessRowwy how everyone is different. I would say that in a month, it would be healthy to lose 2-4 pounds, depending on your calorie intake and burning of calories! Make sure you don't eat less than you're supposed to, and don't overdo yourself working out!
  • christynsides
    Options
    You're 24. You're at your peak. That's definitely working for you. You're not a big girl though... just a bit soft, so you're not going to see a huge pound drop rate unless you push, like you've been. On average, you're using 545 calories in workouts, at least 5 times a week. That 25 - 30 lbs should fall off in like 4 - 6 weeks. I'm 5'4", and when I was in my mid twenties, I started hitting the gym pretty hard, 6 - 7 days a week, a couple hours at a time, and I went from a size 13 to a size 4 in like 6 weeks. It's totally possible. Keep hitting that lean protein, and getting your vitamins, water, and fiber in, and you'll hit that mark like the broad side of a barn.
  • iheartdinosaurs
    iheartdinosaurs Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi! Unfortunately, I don't think anyone can give you a legit answer for that, as it will depend on so many factors driven by you or things going on in your life. Also, you will likely get seriously discouraged if you compare your progress to others (been there, done that, only hurt me). For example, I've known people to healthily lose that weight in as short as 2-4 months, whereas it's taken me over a year to do the same.

My advice: read the stickied posts in the message board (tons of great advice for people starting out), be diligent in your logging (weigh food, don't just pick generic food items from the database, don't assume MFP is correct is assuming calories burned during workout, etc), and plan for long-term health rather than quick weightloss. Realize that weightloss is not linear, and you may see some ups and downs, but as long as the overall trend is down then you're doing something right!

Finally, you may realize your daily calorie intake is too low - as you lose weight, your daily intake should decrease as well. Starting at 1200 doesn't leave you with a lot to work with in terms of decreasing!

Good luck!