Unhelpful advice by experts

Options

Replies

• techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I could never go without my breakfast. It's my favorite meal of the day!
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I feel nauseous if I don't eat breakfast soon after I wake up. Not sure why. It doesn't have to be a huge breakfast, but I have to eat something or I'll start to feel sick.
  • cerad2
    cerad2 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    The fact is you don't need an expert to lose weight: just eat less calories than you burn on a regular basis.

"experts" make it complicated because they want to make money out of it. But the info is simple and available for free. Great tools (like mfp) are also available for free. All you have to supply is patience and sticking power...
    Yep until some joker comes along and want to know how to calculate the calories that you eat as well as calories that you burn. Then of a sudden it's measure this, read that, log, estimate, guess, look up, calculate, ignore etc and etc.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    I feel nauseous if I don't eat breakfast soon after I wake up. Not sure why. It doesn't have to be a huge breakfast, but I have to eat something or I'll start to feel sick.

Yes! I'm exactly same way. It gets so bad that I actually run to the restroom sometimes thinking I'm going to throw up. Plus I get nasty headaches.
  • LandyBreigh
    LandyBreigh Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    BMI calcuators:
    According to the calculator, I'm currently Obese/Morbidly. To fit into the "norm," I should be between 122 and 164. My lowest weight at one point after losing was 164. I was HUNGRY and super B*TCHY!!!!! I don't want that again.

My goal is to be 185ish. And according to the chart, I would still be overweight/obese.
    I have to disagree with that.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    BMI calcuators:
    According to the calculator, I'm currently Obese/Morbidly. To fit into the "norm," I should be between 122 and 164. My lowest weight at one point after losing was 164. I was HUNGRY and super B*TCHY!!!!! I don't want that again.

My goal is to be 185ish. And according to the chart, I would still be overweight/obese.
    I have to disagree with that.

BMI = garbage stat IMO
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,551 Member
    Options
    If you aren't hungry in the morning, it is a sign that your metabolism is sluggish. After 8 hours of not eating, you should be hungry!

No.

• dragonmaster69
    dragonmaster69 Posts: 131 Member
    Options

For me the biggest myth that I was THRILLED to see dispelled (and I credit with much of my 69 pounds lost) is that you can still eat the things you love - you don't have to cut out certain foods, or eat a specific way to have success.

People say to me "Aren't you dieting? Can you eat that?" and then I rip open my chips or my ice cream and eat what I've portioned. :p

About specific ways to success...I've learned over time that I feel better on 5-6 hours of sleep as compared to a full "recommended" 8.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    "it's not rocket science, just eat less and exercise more" - maybe not from experts, but I see this often enough, and it makes my blood boil! My usual response is: "great idea, oh and by the way, if you want to be a billionaire here's a tip for you - it's not rocket science, just reduce your costs and increase revenue's - simple!"

really??

yes, it is that simple. Eat less and move more ..

Not exactly, though. Eat less than what? Move more than what? More/less than one has been? That still might not be enough to lose weight, if one's net consumption is still above TDEE.

That's why that advice, while true, is insufficient on its own. In all my previous attempts to lose weight I never knew HOW MUCH less to eat, and HOW MUCH more to move. I've been successful this time because of the tools that are now widely available.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    "You have to stop eating out in order to lose weight" So false, I've been eating out once a week roughly and have still shed pounds. I just have to do a little research before going.
  • Jruzer
    Options
    I've always hated the advice of eating "only when hungry, and stop when you're full" along with the advice of eating very slowly and chewing your food x number of times. I eat pretty fast. I need to monitor my intake by portion control and good choices. Not slow eating. And asking myself (especially during stressful moments) "am I hungry? am I full?" just doesn't work well for me.

Agreed. "Hungry" and "full" are not well-defined terms. I think many overweight people don't know what it means to be full. I don't know if I know and I'm three years into this now.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    "it's not rocket science, just eat less and exercise more" - maybe not from experts, but I see this often enough, and it makes my blood boil! My usual response is: "great idea, oh and by the way, if you want to be a billionaire here's a tip for you - it's not rocket science, just reduce your costs and increase revenue's - simple!"

really??

yes, it is that simple. Eat less and move more ..

Not exactly, though. Eat less than what? Move more than what? More/less than one has been? That still might not be enough to lose weight, if one's net consumption is still above TDEE.

That's why that advice, while true, is insufficient on its own. In all my previous attempts to lose weight I never knew HOW MUCH less to eat, and HOW MUCH more to move. I've been successful this time because of the tools that are now widely available.

Ok ...

amended simple version ..

put yourself in a 500 per day calorie deficit.
    move more = do what you like...walk, lift, run, etc...OR just eat in a deficit and don't move at all ...

either way it will result in weight loss.

• shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    For me the biggest myth that I was THRILLED to see dispelled (and I credit with much of my 69 pounds lost) is that you can still eat the things you love - you don't have to cut out certain foods, or eat a specific way to have success.

People say to me "Aren't you dieting? Can you eat that?" and then I rip open my chips or my ice cream and eat what I've portioned. :p

OMG same thing here. My coworkers know I'm trying to lose weight because I've lost 40 and it's not something you can miss...I came in with schwarma the other day and my coworker goes "I thought you were on a diet". And when I said no I just fit it in my day he goes "It's a wonder you've lost anything eating that"...yep because grilled chicken, rice, and sauce on the side is terrible for me, how dare I eat anything besides salad.

• aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Not exactly, though. Eat less than what? Move more than what? More/less than one has been?

Yes, that is more than enough information. You're fat, you weigh 300lbs. In order to get there (no underlying medical conditions) you had to eat a lot and exercise very little. So the answer is eat less than you have been (cause its making you fat) and move more than you have been (cause it's making you unhealthy and could contribute to your being fat).

Hence eat less and move more. It works for everyone.

Falsely claiming you need actual numbers to do this, is incorrect and a intelectually lazy arguement. After a certain time numbers will matter, but whatever those numbers are in order to lose you need to eat less than that number and exercise more (for the health benefits).

Less of something is less, and more of something is more.

Math; Here's a overweight persons equeation.

2N + -(E) = F

N = nutrition. E = exercise, and F = Fat. This overweight person is currently eating 2 times as much food as is needed (to maintain a healthy body weight), and that plus negative amounts of exercise equals, they're fat. If they eat less, even if it's less by .10 or something and still have a negative exercise number. F(at) will be smaller, as in they will lose weight.

Math and science.

• ErinK09
    ErinK09 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I have to eat breakfast or I'm scarfing everything down in sight.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do without some breakfast, though it doesn't really matter if it's high or low carb. Usually just a Fiber One brownie will hold me until lunch. Well, as long as I don't wait 5 hours until lunch! But I know people that can't stand eating first thing in the morning, and they're perfectly fine. It varies from person to person I've found.
  • Jruzer
    Options
    aplcr0331 wrote: »
    Not exactly, though. Eat less than what? Move more than what? More/less than one has been?

Yes, that is more than enough information. You're fat, you weigh 300lbs. In order to get there (no underlying medical conditions) you had to eat a lot and exercise very little. So the answer is eat less than you have been (cause its making you fat) and move more than you have been (cause it's making you unhealthy and could contribute to your being fat).

Falsely claiming you need actual numbers to do this, is incorrect and a intelectually lazy arguement. After a certain time numbers will matter, but whatever those numbers are in order to lose you need to eat less than that number and exercise more (for the health benefits).

2N + -(E) = F

N = nutrition. E = exercise, and F = Fat. This overweight person is currently eating 2 times as much food as is needed (to maintain a healthy body weight), and that plus negative amounts of exercise equals, they're fat. If they eat less, even if it's less by .10 or something and still have a negative exercise number. F(at) will be smaller, as in they will lose weight.

Math and science.

Sorry, I disagree. And I do know something about math and science. At it's heart the problem is nothing more that conservation of energy, with fat being the stored energy term.

If I'm in a calorie surplus, it's possible to eat less, move more, and still be in a calorie surplus. Not everyone who is fat, indeed I would guess most people, are in a steady-state equilibrium.

Again, it's not that the advice is unsound, it's that it's incomplete.
  • 1DEF
    1DEF Posts: 45 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Now as for as the OP interesting observation on the breakfast myth, couldn't agree more. I don't want breakfast. Advice and diets in the past that stress this don't work for me. I need a lot more calories late at night. Like the OP, until I realized this was a myth I was kicking myself for binging late at night.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options

2N + -(E) = F

Math and science.

Sorry, I disagree. And I do know something about math and science. At it's heart the problem is nothing more that conservation of energy, with fat being the stored energy term.

If I'm in a calorie surplus, it's possible to eat less, move more, and still be in a calorie surplus. Not everyone who is fat, indeed I would guess most people, are in a steady-state equilibrium.

Agreed. If they start eating at 1.9N and -.9E is still = F, just a tad more slowly. You need to know how much. You don't have to do it specifically by counting calories but you at least need to know how many portions to cut (so say I eat 3 steaks daily, do I need to cut out 0.5 a steak? 2 steaks? What?)
  • ndj1979
    Options

2N + -(E) = F

Math and science.

why would non-fat/obese people need to be in a deficit?

We are specifically referring to people that need to lose weight....