Reassurance needed

Options
hello everyone,

First time poster here.

I wanted to post on here as I need a wee bit of reassurance and maybe even someone to say "I've been there, don't give up".

My situation is probably one that has been posted a million times here but: I haven't lost any this week despite being extra good!

I've been trying to improve my lifestyle (rather than go on a fad diet) for 4 weeks now. I have been eating 1200 cal a day, working out with spinning 3 x a week and body bump x2 a week. At the beginning of last week I got a Fitbit for my birthday and have even been getting my daily 10000 steps in ( I now walk to the gym!)

So why after a great week last week have I not last any weight?

I realise I don't have a lot to lose. I started at 72kg 4 weeks ago and quickly got down to 71.5 but there I stay.... My goal weight is 67kg (in 5"6) and I really thought I'd be further along by now.... Been stuck at 71.5 for 2 weekly weigh ins now.

Is there anyone out there who had a similar experience? Anyway know how to get past this?

Thanks!

Replies

• mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    First of all, yes it can be done. Myself and many others have lost weight using MFP. I will say that for the amount of exercise you are eating too little. Your TDEE is around 2500. Thats how many calories you need to maintain your weight with the exercise you do. You could be eating 1700 calories and still lose weight. Also, make sure that you have a kitchen scale and measuring cups and spoons and that you weigh and measure everything if your not already, its easy to underestimate your calories. Good job, at not looking at the fad diets!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Log meticulously. And be patient. The scale and the body have their own timelines. :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear

changing up exercise can lead to water retention which can mask any fat loss

Make sure you're logging appropriately and give it time

Also take measurements and photos
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Between water weight and a little extra in the gut, the body can hold weight that will disappear quickly at a later date.
  • jumblejups
    jumblejups Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Have you taken any body measurements? And do you weigh daily or weekly (or other)? Sometimes your measurements can diminish without a change on the scales. I weigh daily now so that I don't hang everything on the weekly weigh in and instead look at the general trend; I'm not saying you should weigh daily if you're not, but it can happen that due to normal weight fluctuations the snapshot of something like once a week may not be a very clear indication of your average weight loss. This past week if I relied on my weight on Friday I would say I had lost 1lb in a week, if I used today's weight there would be no change. This isn't because of my diet the last couple of days, it's just down to natural fluctuations in weight. However my average weight loss over the week indicates that I have lost just under 1lb.
  • Spocky
    Spocky Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have similar parameters. My goal weight is 66kg I am stuck at 69 now, I was stuck at 72 too. Maybe you train too much, are overtrained, maybe you eat too few calories. I asked for advice from a trainer: eat less carbs, don't eat simple carbs, don't eat meat cooked with oil or flour+eggs+roll. Sorry my english failed me this time.
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    There will also be times when you will gain (dang bloating!). At first it really bugged me, but after logging consistantly for months, I began to realize that I was consistantly bloating up by 5-6 less pounds each month.

My recommendation is to up your minimum daily calorie allowance (1- 1 1/2 pounds per week, not 2) and eat back up to half of your calories burned through exercise.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is like the stock market. See all those little ups and downs along the way, but the general trend is what you pay attention to, right?

1930-stock-chart-1.png