Stretch question

Options
anyone have any tips on how to stretch out a sore hamstring? Woke up this morning and it just feels right!

Replies

• zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Very lightly.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    zipa78 wrote: »
    Very lightly.

What he said.

In addition, some light movement - say a gentle stroll - can be just the thing for sore/tight legs. Avoid anything that causes acute pain...
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Carefully. Start by stretching your achilles tendon and some heel dips and raises. Work up from there.

• adreal
    adreal Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    It's not a bad pain. It just felt tight this morning when I got up. it seems to come and go. What a mess...
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I feel for you, literally. I am a victim of tight, tight, tight to the point of now having plantar fasciitis, ugh.

Be gentle with the achilles, it will be mean to you otherwise.

Examine how you were doing your stretching and exercise. If I overdo a stretch, my achilles will be really sore. I have since learned to stretch out lightly in the beginning and then once the muscles are warm I will be a little more flexible.
  • hdrenollet
    hdrenollet Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    zipa78 wrote: »
    Very lightly.

What he said.

In addition, some light movement - say a gentle stroll - can be just the thing for sore/tight legs. Avoid anything that causes acute pain...

I completely agree. I've found that the best thing for sore legs (hamstrings and calves especially) is to go for a short walk. After about 15-20 minutes, they should feel warmed up and loose again.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    A nice easy stretch is a forward bend - don't try to touch your toes or anything, just bend forward and kinda hang there - you can shake your head 'no' and shake your arms out to help loosen up. Shift your weight forward onto your toes to get more hamstring, back onto your heels for more low back, just let the weight of your head and arms do all the work.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't stretch a cold, sore muscle - warm it up first.
  • Antigone
    Antigone Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Also give foam rolling a try. It's made my somewhat tight runner's hamstrings SO much better if I do it often as well as stretching.