What should I be eating for my crazy Tuesdays?

Options
Ooci
Ooci Posts: 247 Member
The normal cal goal is 1450 and I am losing at that. (5.1, very active, 9st 7/133lb, age 41)

9.30-10 am is cardio tennis (outside in the cold) - I think around 300 cals as you have to sprint to hit balls thrown to the furthest away from you they could possibly be on a tennis court. I've been doing this for several months but still get so out of breath it's just not true. Last week I sat down on the court and cried as I literally felt I would pass out and that my heart was going to hammer its way out of my chest.

10-11.30 is a tennis lesson (outside) with a lot of drills and doubles but more sedate than cardio tennis

1.30- 3 is doubles (outside) with three friends

6-7 - zumba (inside in the warm)

I want to be fit enough to do all this in a day and I am really, though I'm having difficulties fuelling it. Should I be looking for a hearty day today of eating today ( a non -exercise day) and going over my 1450 to prepare for tomorrow? What would you have for breakfast, lunch - what about the calorie number? it's hard, any help much appreciated - thanks. Last week I cried twice with feeling just overwhelmed with exhaustion and it was embarrassing.

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Heya. I don't think changing up your eating patterns is going to help the basic problem. You're exhausted because you are putting way, way too much strain on your body without adequate time to recover. Is there a particular reason you are cramming so much into one day?

I totally understand wanting to be fit enough to be on the go all the time. The thing is, we don't actually gain fitness (cardio or strength) *while* working out. In fact, the workout itself is technically damaging the body. Fitness comes when the body supercompensates during recovery--which is to say, rest. You're doing four workouts in the time most people would do one. You're tearing down your body and before it can rebuild, tearing it down again.

You should also be downing a crazy amount of carbs in between workouts, since you're not giving your muscles time to replenish their stores of glycogen for energy. But mostly, you need to give yourself a break.
  • Ooci
    Options
    Heya. I don't think changing up your eating patterns is going to help the basic problem. You're exhausted because you are putting way, way too much strain on your body without adequate time to recover. Is there a particular reason you are cramming so much into one day?

I totally understand wanting to be fit enough to be on the go all the time. The thing is, we don't actually gain fitness (cardio or strength) *while* working out. In fact, the workout itself is technically damaging the body. Fitness comes when the body supercompensates during recovery--which is to say, rest. You're doing four workouts in the time most people would do one. You're tearing down your body and before it can rebuild, tearing it down again.

You should also be downing a crazy amount of carbs in between workouts, since you're not giving your muscles time to replenish their stores of glycogen for energy. But mostly, you need to give yourself a break.

That's a very kind reply - thank you. I hadn't actually considered it might not be good for me. I find it hard to say no to people - the afternoon doubles is an honour to play with those ladies and I'm beyond excited they've asked me. Zumba is with a newish slimming buddy and I don't want to let her down either. The morning blast could go but I would miss my lovely coach. I take your point though, I'm not Venus Williams. Thank you xx
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Aw, you're welcome. I've struggled with overexercise problems before, to the point of actual overtraining syndrome (it is not fun to get out of breath climbing out of bed...), and I don't want you to get there by accident.

A couple thoughts...maybe you could rotate which activities you do by week? Or what about rescheduling the lessons to a different day? (I see how this could be tricky if your coach is busy). Find another friend for you Zumba pal, or suggest a different day to join in?

(We are ALL secretly the Williams sisters, by the way. :))
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I think your solution is perfect. Pull cardio tennis out of the schedule. I also bring Clif gels with me on the court for when I get that bonked feeling.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    PS I'm off with a foot injury right now but I do a tennis aerobics class that sounds like your cardio tennis. I know the feeling of gasping for air after chasing that ball from side to side on the court. Sometimes I want to drink but I can't stop gasping long enough to take a sip. I LOVE it.
  • Ooci
    Options
    PS I'm off with a foot injury right now but I do a tennis aerobics class that sounds like your cardio tennis. I know the feeling of gasping for air after chasing that ball from side to side on the court. Sometimes I want to drink but I can't stop gasping long enough to take a sip. I LOVE it.
    Me too, it's like flying through the air and you can't believe you make the hit - I can't belive it anyway! Who knew my brain would learn to do that? It is the most amazing exercise class I ever did. Hope your foot injury gets better very very fast, it's awful to be off. And I love the look of the clif gels - they're on Amazon, will get some!

Aw, you're welcome. I've struggled with overexercise problems before, to the point of actual overtraining syndrome (it is not fun to get out of breath climbing out of bed...), and I don't want you to get there by accident.

A couple thoughts...maybe you could rotate which activities you do by week? Or what about rescheduling the lessons to a different day? (I see how this could be tricky if your coach is busy). Find another friend for you Zumba pal, or suggest a different day to join in?

(We are ALL secretly the Williams sisters, by the way. :))

The schedule is for group classes in the local club and I can't change it to suit me - more's the pity! But there are other days for the cardio and the group lessons - I try to play tennis most days, if I can. I think I'll have to axe the cardio and the group lesson on Tuesdays and just make sure I get to it on Fridays and Mondays.

I haven't heard about overtraining syndrome, that sounds scary.

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    You're overtraining. You should not be doing Zumba on days that you're doing other exercise. Zumba classes are so common and easy to find. Find another day.

If you can also move your doubles day, do.
  • Ooci
    Options
    Glad I posted this as I wasn't expecting this response! You live and learn! I thought the more the better!