New testing shows fitbits a lot like BEI-bodyfat scales

Options
I didn't know there were groups named "help, my fitbit is making me fat" but I believe it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2925963/The-fitness-gadgets-make-fatter-claim-count-calories-burn-test-shows-theyre-wildly-inaccurate.html

Interesting read. For the TL;DR, the chart showing the test results is at the bottom of the article.
Jon Denoris, a fitness trainer and author of The Pop-up Gym, has tested countless fitness trackers, and explains that most of them use something called an accelerometer — essentially a motion sensor — which registers your movements and feeds them into the device.

Using this information, your personal calorie expenditure is then calculated using the average burn of other people of your weight and height, making it a lot less scientific than you might think. Some are clearly more sophisticated than others.

Replies

• higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    It's like that with everything. That's why it's not recommended to eat them all. I always have extra calories floating around to account for mathmatical errors.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I enjoy fitness gadgetry, but I don't think I'd rely on one for telling me how much I'm burning in specific numbers that integrate with my food log. It's more useful to me as a general measure of activity level. There's definitely some appeal to the integration of these items with MFP, but I'd prefer to just log accurately, let the gadget motivate me to move more, and adjust from there if I'm not reaching my goals.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    People should understand that it's an estimate (just like all calorie burn numbers, unless you're hooked up to machines in a lab) and that if you're gaining weight eating back the calories, then stop doing that.

For me it's been spot on. I think it actually estimates a little low for me but that just gives me room to go over occasionally without causing a problem.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I use my fitbit more as a motivator to move but I don't take the burn cals seriously, if I did I would be a lot heavier haha
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I can't say this surprises me.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I am closing my eyes and covering my ears because

1) I love my fitbit and it works great for me
    And
    2) you're quoting the daily mail

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m74i2cplGs1qgecupo1_500.gif
  • khol1
    khol1 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Your FitBit doesn't make you fat. The only thing that can make you fat is yourself and saying anything other than that is a cop-out!
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    you're quoting the daily mail

I know but... It's the website with *somewhat* relevant information, and a LOOOOOOT of pictures for ADD people like me..

I'll admit it. B)

• nam985
    nam985 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I would like to file this under "no s#!t Sherlock". Of course the Fitbit & other such devices aren't totally accurate in estimating kcal's burned, just like there is some room for error in nutrition info. If you are eating what it says you are burning and gaining weight, then obviously something is amiss and you are consuming more kcal than are being burned off, common sense people!!!

That being said, I love my Vivofit. To me it's more about the awareness of how much I'm moving during a day, and coupled with the heart rate monitor gives me an estimate of my energy expenditure, give or take around 200kcal (helpful when determining if that piece of cheesecake fits into my kcal budget for the day!).
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Of course it uses population averages. Anyone that thinks you can carry around a $49 device and it is doing actual calorimetry on your own body is wishful thinking.

But it's easy enough to tell how close it is for you. Track your intake and weight loss for a month. If you don't lose what it predicts, adjust accordingly.

Mostly what a monitor is good for is motivating people to move more. What you track, you improve. An estimate is fine.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    khol1 wrote: »
    Your FitBit doesn't make you fat. The only thing that can make you fat is yourself and saying anything other than that is a cop-out!

ahhh a refreshing voice of reason.