Plain Yogurt Recommendations

Options
I've been eating granola and vanilla yogurt lately, and I know it's got waaaay too much sugar in it, so I want to try plain yogurt instead. The last time I tried it, I got Nancy brand and it was mouth-puckering sour. What brands out there are more naturally sweet without added sweeteners? I know I can add a mashed banana for some natural sweetness, but I don't want to spend the extra time if I don't have to.

Replies

• Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    bump...I'd like to know any suggestions on this too!

I find the plain yogurt pretty sour too so I always have to mix something into it as well. I was going to recommend Stevia (they come in yummy flavours like mint and raspberry chocolate) because I'd like to try it but I saw that you didn't want to add anything to the yogurt if possible.
  • Maerwhyn
    Maerwhyn Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Well Stevia would be fine because it's not sugar, and it's easy to open a packet and dump it in. I just didn't want to go to the extra time of mashing a banana. I've got three littles running around, so I don't have a lot of time for my breakfast.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    I only buy high fat yogurt, normally from Liberte. Naturally sweet? Yogurt is by nature sour and sugar will need to be added to reduce that and ad sweetness. There might be some companies that use a thickener to get around the nature of yogurt to reduce that sourness, but I don't know if that's even done. What is wrong with adding fruit at one go and having it on hand.
  • joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    All yoghurt is sour. I just got used to it.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Higher fat yoghurt will have less added sugar. Try Fage Total 2% Greek yoghurt. It has lots of protein too. If you're happy adding stevia for sweetness, just gradually decrease the amount you use over time and you'll adjust to the natural flavour.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    In the UK Morrison's supermarket do their own Nume brand of non fat plain yoghurt. 93 calories for 150g tub. I add grapes. But, as mentioned above, non fat plain yogurt will taste a bit sour. You get used to it though.
  • SusanDLP
    SusanDLP Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Fage Greek yogurt is my favorite and you can buy it at Costco, too. I sometimes add a very tiny dab of jam or honey, but actually like the sour taste.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I would recommend just weaning yourself down. I only eat plain greek yogurt now. But I always add fresh fruit to it.
  • Papatoad194
    Papatoad194 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I find you can become accustom to plain greek yogurt, any yogurt like you cna learn to like gin. Painfully and with purpose. The best sweetener on the planet, is honey, with just a drizze or by frozen berries and blend them and all them seems to work pretty good.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    If you happen to have an Aldi's near you their "Friendly Farms" brand is my personal favorite. If that's not available it's usually the store brand or Fage but I do tend to add fresh or frozen fruit.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I recently discovered boiled cider, and it is fantastic on plain greek yogurt. Boiled cider is fairly thick and syrupy, and a little bit goes a long way. A dash of cinnamon and a tablespoon of boiled cider on greek yogurt tastes a bit like a tart apple pie.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I love Fage 2% also, but I often put fruit (berries) in it or use it as a dip for apples or some such.
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I can't eat Greek yogurt -- it dries my mouth out. Does anyone else have that problem?

I eat full-fat Dannon plain yogurt, but I mix it with granola and let it sit for a while. The granola sweetens it up nicely.
  • Maerwhyn
    Maerwhyn Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I know plain yogurt has a tart flavor, but it shouldn't all-out sour like Nancy's was. I'll have to try out the Fage brand, I guess. I don't really like greek yogurt that much; don't want to have to chew my yogurt.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You can add half a teaspoon of vanilla extract. But yes, yogurt is sour, no way around it.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I put sugar-free flavored coffee syrup in mine sometimes.
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I eat plain yogurt and add a half teaspoon of honey
  • jnorban
    jnorban Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I like stoneyfield plain yogurt. it was less sour than store brand plain yogurt.
  • acarmon55
    acarmon55 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    If you have a Kroger's anywhere near you, their Carbmaster vanilla is WONDERFUL! It only has 4 grams of sugar so a lot less than the others I have tried and 12 grams of protein. I eat it every day and dip either strawberries or apples in it as well.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Maerwhyn wrote: »
    I know plain yogurt has a tart flavor, but it shouldn't all-out sour like Nancy's was. I'll have to try out the Fage brand, I guess. I don't really like greek yogurt that much; don't want to have to chew my yogurt.

you don't chew greek yogurt at all...