Resisting Goodies at the Office

Options
2»

Replies

• stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Why doesn't any of my co workers bring in food??? Seriously the only thing in our breakroom is coffee and ketchup packets :'(
  • ashtonladkins
    ashtonladkins Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Maybe try to take a walk during your lunch break? Burn some extra calories so it will balance out a bit more. I get to work early and try to get a 10 minute walk in before the day starts and then I try to walk 15 minutes at lunch.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I have a general practice of not indulging in random snacking during the day, so that helps, because I don't even think of eating when it's not mealtime usually. Today's food on offer was a tasty-looking banana bread with chocolate chips, but I'd had breakfast so there was really no reason to eat it.

If I'm going to be there late or likely to want a snack due to a workout or some such, I bring my own food, as you said.

Beyond that, I think hard about whether it's really worth the calories and the food I won't be able to have later. Sometimes it is, but quite rarely. Most of the stuff I used to eat because it was at the office was something I just ate because it was there or a nice excuse for a break.

Finally, related to the last, I've been working hard on my non-hunger-related impulses to eat, like as a break or because I've had a bad day and the like, being pretty strict with myself about not eating for those reasons has removed a huge part of why I used to snack at work all the time.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I have a general practice of not indulging in random snacking during the day, so that helps, because I don't even think of eating when it's not mealtime usually. Today's food on offer was a tasty-looking banana bread with chocolate chips, but I'd had breakfast so there was really no reason to eat it.

If I'm going to be there late or likely to want a snack due to a workout or some such, I bring my own food, as you said.

Beyond that, I think hard about whether it's really worth the calories and the food I won't be able to have later. Sometimes it is, but quite rarely. Most of the stuff I used to eat because it was at the office was something I just ate because it was there or a nice excuse for a break.

Finally, related to the last, I've been working hard on my non-hunger-related impulses to eat, like as a break or because I've had a bad day and the like, being pretty strict with myself about not eating for those reasons has removed a huge part of why I used to snack at work all the time.

I'm like that too. I eat breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a snack around 8:30/9pm. I really don't eat outside of those windows often. I've been doing it for so long that my appetite knows when to get hungry.

That's another tip, folks. Your appetite is like an animal. It can be trained. If you let it run wild, it will rule your life. If you stay consistent, it will obey your meal times. (all of this is couched with the obvious, as long as you're eating enough calories/macros, etc)

I rarely eat outside of my normal windows, just because I'm not hungry. Also, if I do choose to snack earlier in the day (instead of my evening snack), I'm miserable that evening during my normal snack time. It's just not worth it (most of the time unless its something super amazing).
  • jeanmariemcp
    jeanmariemcp Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I work for a candy company. Our vending machines with full size candy bars and other yummy snacks are FREE. It's a killer. I try to avoid even walking past it. When temptation hits, I also calculate the "is it worth it" but translating the calories into minutes on the bike/elliptical machine. Sometimes...it's a yes, but usually not.