Losing Weight on Birth Control?

Options
I am currently trying to lose weight but I am finding it very difficult because I am on birth control for medical reasons(I have Endometriosis). Any tips on losing weight while on it?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    No difference. Calorie deficit.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I have been on bc for years and years and my weight gain/loss works just like everyone else's does.
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hormonal responses can slow weight loss, cause water retention and nutrient imbalances (not to mention increasing cravings and messing with your moods and sleep patterns) Please ignore the people who say that what you are feeling is not real, or that it is simply calories in vs calories out. They are wrong. Everyone is different, and some will face different challenges than others. Your body is a chem lab, not a calculator.

That is not to say that your efforts are in vain, simply that you need to find what works for YOU.
  • jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I had no issues losing weight on the pill or mirena. The nuva ring gave me crippling migraines so no luck there, the patch gave me blood clots in my lungs which prohibited any activity pretty much, and the depo shot convinced me I was starving to death. I think although it is still calorie in vs calorie out some types of bc can cause minor difficulties.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Codilee87 wrote: »
    Hormonal responses can slow weight loss (not to mention increasing cravings and messing with you moods and sleep patterns) Please ignore the people who say that what you are feeling is not real, or that it is simply calories in vs calories out. They are wrong. Everyone is different, and some will face different challenges than others. Your body is a chem lab, not a calculator.

That is not to say that your efforts are in vain, simply that you need to find what works for YOU.

So what other methods of weight loss would you suggest to the millions of women using birth control? Just curious.
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Hormonal responses can slow weight loss (not to mention increasing cravings and messing with you moods and sleep patterns) Please ignore the people who say that what you are feeling is not real, or that it is simply calories in vs calories out. They are wrong. Everyone is different, and some will face different challenges than others. Your body is a chem lab, not a calculator.

So what other methods of weight loss would you suggest to the millions of women using birth control? Just curious.

I'm not saying that a calorie deficit won't work, but saying there is "no difference" is false. There ARE differences, it can change the way your body responds to eating and exercise. It can take time for your body to become accustomed to a new pill or medication. You may need to experiment with different types of BC before you find one that suits you best. Approaching everyone's concerns with the exact same response is overly-simplistic and arrogant.

• arditarose
    Options

I'm not saying that a calorie deficit won't work, but saying there is "no difference" is false. There ARE differences, it can change the way your body responds to eating and exercise. It can take time for your body to become accustomed to a new pill or medication. You may need to experiment with different types of BC before you find one that suits you best. Approaching everyone's concerns with the exact same response is overly-simplistic and arrogant.

Right, but the fact that a calorie deficit works doesn't change. As you said so yourself. I agree BC can wreak havoc on your body, but the question asked for tips to lose weight. Calorie deficit was my tip. I don't think that is simplistic and arrogant. I answered the question.

Actually, we should ask the OP, why exactly are you finding it hard to lose the weight? Is your BC not making you feel well or are you having trouble staying in a deficit due to hunger, etc?
  • ashleydanib
    ashleydanib Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm finding it hard because I am eating healthy and working out but the weight isn't coming off. And just because someone who takes bc and doesn't have a problem losing weight doesn't mean that someone else doesn't. Everyone is different. I had no problem losing weight before I started taking bc.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    69 pounds down on birth control (so far).

Are you counting calories? Logging your food? Weighing your food?

There have been studies done on birth control and weight gain - there doesn't appear to be a link. It's a myth.

Here's one study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0012456/

Interesting bit:
    The four trials with a placebo or no intervention group did not find evidence supporting a causal association between combination oral contraceptives or a combination skin patch and weight change. Most comparisons of different combination contraceptives showed no substantial difference in weight. In addition, discontinuation of combination contraceptives because of weight change did not differ between groups where this was studied.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I'm finding it hard because I am eating healthy and working out but the weight isn't coming off. And just because someone who takes bc and doesn't have a problem losing weight doesn't mean that someone else doesn't. Everyone is different. I had no problem losing weight before I started taking bc.

Exactly, but losing weight comes from eating at a deficit. You could eat healthy and exercise and not be in a deficit. If you're eating below your maintenance calories, you will lose weight, regardless of whether you're on birth control or not.

How are you feeling about the birth control otherwise, is it making you sick or emotional?
  • ashleydanib
    Options
    I am eating below my mainenance calories. I feel fine on the birth control. But I am not losing anything.

I don't believe that article, because why when I started birth control did I gain weight when I was eating the same thing? And when I went off a different type of birth control that wasn't working for me I lost 6 pounds in the few weeks following without even trying.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I am eating below my mainenance calories. I feel fine on the birth control. But I am not losing anything.

I don't believe that article, because why when I started birth control did I gain weight when I was eating the same thing? And when I went off a different type of birth control that wasn't working for me I lost 6 pounds in the few weeks following without even trying.

It's not an article, it's a scientific study.

How long have you been on this pill?
  • arditarose
    Options

Hmm, you could be retaining water. Are you weighing all your food on a food scale? How many calories per day?
  • ashleydanib
    Options
    I don't weigh my food on a scale, the closest thing I do is measure it out in a measuring cup. I'm supposed to be eating 1300 and I usually eat 1000-1200.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I don't weigh my food on a scale, the closest thing I do is measure it out in a measuring cup. I'm supposed to be eating 1300 and I usually eat 1000-1200.

Okay, start weighing your food and see how it goes. You should be losing though. You should not shoot for 1000 calories ever. 1200 should be minimum.

How long have you been tracking calories, how much weight did you lose before you started the BC, and when did you start the pills?
  • quilt938
    quilt938 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm on birth control and am losing weight- my biggest challenge is shift work - rotating 12 hr shifts and lots of overtime so tired and stressed. But I'm having to work at it to find ways to lose weight. In my experience birth control DOES make it harder to lose weight -esp that depo provera shot. I gained 40 lbs on that and was hungry all the time. took it for years because the dr refused to prescribe the pill saying I had high blood pressure ...finally went to an ob who gave me the nuva ring then another who prescribed the pill thank goodness.

I don't know your age but the older you get the harder it is - even with birth control losing in my early 20s was easy compared to now (48) but I have to exercise and make better food choices (along with some treats too) but when I was doing weight watchers we called them 'filling foods' or 'core foods' - the non-starchy veggies, fruits, lean meats - these are lower calorie and help satisfy hunger longer than processed and fatty foods. Now I don't eat only these foods- I like variety too much- but I do include them with most of my meals. moderate cardio (usually a half hour to 40 min walk - about 3.0 mph pace) and some yoga and other exercise helps. right now if I try too strenuous I end up feeling hungry. I've been making notes in my food diary (and in my mind) as to which meals/foods make me feel hungry, whichmake me feel satisfied - if I really want to eat something I know what stay with me I try to eat some of the ones that make me feel satisfied for the other meals or along with the non-satisfying meal.

and this is just my opinion but I don't think 1000-1300 calories is sufficient. I've had weight loss professionals say the 1460 this site gives me as a goal seems too low to get all my nutrients. so far I've pretty much stayed under or at that goal without starving but if I start feeling hungry I'm changing my goals and upping the calorie goal.
  • anarchysbitch
    anarchysbitch Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is actually predominantly maths, both control will change mood, skin, frequency of period etc but have little to no effect on weight loss efforts. You will probably find that most likely your issue boils down to a counting problem and kitchen scales will solve that issue. Also don't forget to add in all drinks, condiments, spreads etc. I know it may sound obvious but it seems so many people don't think they matter but they can add up to a significant amount.
  • chaitrex
    chaitrex Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    First of all, like one of the above posters said, your body is not a calculator. It is unique. Study after study says birth control is fine and dandy, but everyone knows someone whose body can't tolerate it. That's why they made entire other types of contraceptives (progestone-only, IUD's, etc.) because someone women literally can't abide a combination pill, let alone a high dose one.
    It might help if we knew which pill you were on? In my experience, estrogen really changed my body processed carbohydrates. So maybe eat a little less of those...processed sugar + estrogen sounds like a formula that could stop anyone from losing weight.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options

Okay, start weighing your food and see how it goes. You should be losing though. You should not shoot for 1000 calories ever. 1200 should be minimum.

How long have you been tracking calories, how much weight did you lose before you started the BC, and when did you start the pills?

Agreed. Start weighing your food. Here's a good example: 1 serving on a Cheerio box say 1 cup(48g), but if you actually weigh 1 cup of cheerios it's actually like 58-60 grams. If you're doing this with even denser foods, like peanut butter then you could be consuming WAY more calories than you think you are.

Also, if you're taking 1 bite of this and 1 bite of that, and not logging then by the end of the day all your "1 bites" foods adds up quickly.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I have been on YAZ for about 20 years. I have no issues losing what so ever.