Natural foods

Options
so I watched a long video about successful weight loss and the mentor made a great point. Our bodies are designed to digest and use (burn) what we eat, but when you eat things that your body doesn't recognize I.e. Snack packs....it won't burn them and it deposits as fat. When you eat natural foods your body uses them and gets rid of what it doesn't need, when you eat frozen meals or preserved foods, it deposits them like a savings account. So it doesn't matter how low the calories or the catchy name on the pack....it's no Bueno!

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    What the.. I don't even..
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    What the.. I don't even..

^^ What they said.

OP: How does my body know the difference between a frozen meal and one that I made from scratch? What about the meal that I made from scratch, put into an individual serving size container and then put in the freezer? Will my body deposit that as fat because it's frozen and essentially a "prepackaged meal"?

And what about the pickles that I made from my garden and the canned tomatoes and sauce? Those are canned so in essence they're "preserved". Are you saying that they're bad for me and I'll get fat if I eat it?

What if I made my own snack packs of say, mixed nuts or granola? Because I call it a "snack pack" will my body hear me and then rebel by making me fat?
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    What a load of BS. Posts like this make me weep for the state of science knowledge in this country.
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »
    What a load of BS. Posts like this make me weep for the state of science knowledge in this country.

This.

Your body burns calories and uses the macros from food for various purposes. Sure, chips aren't super healthy but they won't automatically be turned into fat by your body if you are eating under your TDEE.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Oh lordy.

Foods your body doesn't recognize?

I think you're giving your body too much credit.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    so I watched a long video about successful weight loss and the mentor made a great point. Our bodies are designed to digest and use (burn) what we eat, but when you eat things that your body doesn't recognize I.e. Snack packs....it won't burn them and it deposits as fat. When you eat natural foods your body uses them and gets rid of what it doesn't need, when you eat frozen meals or preserved foods, it deposits them like a savings account. So it doesn't matter how low the calories or the catchy name on the pack....it's no Bueno!

Hi! Welcome to the forums.

I would suggest you don't watch whatever person told you the above. It's absolutely 100% nonsense.

Now to be clear, it would be a good idea if "most" of your food was minimally refined and nutrient dense, for a variety of reasons. So in that regard yes, it's good to eat whole foods.

But your body doesn't see the names of the foods you eat. It sees the nutrients contained in the food and it utilizes them accordingly.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options

Your body doesn't recognize a snack pack?

SnackPack_choc_van.jpg

These things?

What part of 'Water, non fat milk, cornstarch, vanilla, chocolate, vegetable oil, salt, and calcium carbonate does my body not recognize?
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Ummm.... Yeah....
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

By that logic, we'd all weigh about 800 pounds.

And also by that logic, I wouldn't have lost 69 pounds so far.

Sorry but there is zero actual logic in your post. It actually made me cringe.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Really??

Guess I didn't lose over 120 lbs since I ate snack packs, ice cream, brownies, pop tarts... and all kinds of other food

When you watch a video or read something your first instinct should be to question it, does it make sense? what flaws does this have? what agenda are they trying to push? But, if you believe everything you read....

oh-boy.gif
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Are you eating the actual packaging on the snack pack? Because you shouldn't do that. That isn't food.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    There are many legitimate reasons to choose to eat more "natural" foods. Weight loss isn't one of them.

You can lose weight eating anything, so long as you are at a caloric deficit. Weight loss isn't the only goal worth having, though, just understand what your goals are.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    But I did read on MFP that if you sleep vigorously it burns lots of calories so since I read it, well it must be true
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »

I swear someone posted a thread a few days ago saying that at least half of Americans believe eating food with DNA in them is unhealthy. It's sad how many people don't understand basic biology. *facepalm*

It's all about CICO. There's no need to complicate it.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    Daiako wrote: »

Your body doesn't recognize a snack pack?

SnackPack_choc_van.jpg

These things?

What part of 'Water, non fat milk, cornstarch, vanilla, chocolate, vegetable oil, salt, and calcium carbonate does my body not recognize?

I guess pictures of pudding are offensive now?

Whatever. More snack packs for me. The vanilla is quality.

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    But I did read on MFP that if you sleep vigorously it burns lots of calories so since I read it, well it must be true

I think I might love you.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    Even if there was a chemical that your body had never been exposed to before, it has mechanisms to deal with them.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

What did you watch? Surely it wasn't a biology lecture...