Blood Donation & Calories?

Options
So I donate blood every 2 months (56 days) Anyways, I'm always hungry after I donate, I looked it up & you burn about 650 calories in one blood donation, should I count that as part of my exercise today? Because I know I'll be eating more after the donation.... Sorry if it sounds stupid, I just wasn't sure :(

Mike

Replies

• TheEats
    TheEats Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Do a search, this has been discussed at length :)
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    You use about 200 calories in the day of the donation, and 200 the day after to rebuild your plasma. The red blood cells take a couple of weeks to regenerate (and need 35-80 g protein to do so), and that's where the rest of the 650 calories are used. It takes around 8 weeks for your iron stores to regenerate, and for you to be clear to do another blood donation.

I try to exercise before my blood donation, so I have extra calories for the day. I can't depend on feeling well enough to exercise after, and vigorous exercise should be avoided for about 6-8 hours after donation. I generally eat an extra 200 calories on the day of the donation, about the amount for the juice and trail mix I bring as my post-donation snack. (*) Good for you for doing this :) (*)
  • MPJ737
    MPJ737 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Ah okay, thank you! :)
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    LOL OH so in for this one. >:)
  • MPJ737
    Options
    What? :( I didn't mean it as a way to get out of exercise.... I exercise everyday... I was just wondering how it worked with donating...
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    No because you burn those calories over a course of a few days, not that day.
  • MPJ737
    Options
    So just leave it as it is? I eat around 1420 calories a day.
  • katsmo
    katsmo Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I just donated blood for the first time since college and almost fainted. I don't know what it says about me that I'm a little peeved about the Cheetos and cookie they fed me while I was in a Time Out in there because it doesn't fit into my food plans for the day ;)
  • pplastics
    pplastics Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I added some back (200-300) when I donated, because I always feel a little drained the day I give and feel the need to eat more.

What I find funny is how my weight will fluctuate in the days after I donate....down 1/2 to 1 pound from the initial donation, and then up a 3-4 pounds for about a week. I assume my body retains more water in the days/week after I donate.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    katsmo wrote: »
    I just donated blood for the first time since college and almost fainted. I don't know what it says about me that I'm a little peeved about the Cheetos and cookie they fed me while I was in a Time Out in there because it doesn't fit into my food plans for the day ;)

You can always bring your own snack. I donate every two months or so. I'm allergic to wheat, barley and oat (to the point I end up on a ventilator) so I bring my own snack for after.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    MPJ737 wrote: »
    So just leave it as it is? I eat around 1420 calories a day.

I always plan to eat 200-300 calories over target on that day, just for general health and energy reasons.

katsmo wrote: »

Is that all they had to offer? My donation center has choices of juice (including V8 which fits better into my plan) and also has things like trail mix, raisins, nuts, pretzels, etc.. in addition to the sweets like cookies and candy.

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    What about double plasma? How would that affect calories?
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Those don't cover double plasma donations. My husband does, and if I can ever get to the point where I can without passing out, I will be too. Do I just go with the standard, or is that something else?
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    quote]

Is that all they had to offer? My donation center has choices of juice (including V8 which fits better into my plan) and also has things like trail mix, raisins, nuts, pretzels, etc.. in addition to the sweets like cookies and candy.

[/quote]

When I donated they only had cookies and coke - luckily I had brought my own water and an apple.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    Those don't cover double plasma donations. My husband does, and if I can ever get to the point where I can without passing out, I will be too. Do I just go with the standard, or is that something else?

I'm not sure about plasma, but when I do double red cells I just eat at maintenance for that day. When I'm already maintaining, I give myself a slight surplus.