strength training

Options
angiemann2007
angiemann2007 Posts: 17 Member
edited January 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I've been doing simple strength training exercises at home 5 days a week for 3 weeks with a five pound hand weight. I'm wondering when I should go heavier and how much of an increase i should go up?

Replies

• jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    You should go heavier when you can do a set of 8-10 reps, and you no longer struggle to get those last 2-3 reps up. If you are doing reps of 8-10, and it's a breeze or you can complete that set with no trouble or struggle, then step it up and increase that weight.
    Build up slowly. Go from a 5 pound to an 8 pound, and then to a 10 pound.......increase incrementally until you see that you are struggling on the last few reps.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't think there is an adult human without a disability that could use a 5lb dumbbell and call it "strength training". In order to train for strength you must exhibit your current level of strength. If you can go about everyday tasks then a 5lb dumbbell is not going to force your body to adapt in any way.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Strength training requires heavier and heavier weights. If the weight isn't getting heavier, you're not getting stronger. Most beginner strength programs are 3 days per week, and you add more weight every workout until you can't complete the sets and reps for the exercise - usually 3-5 sets, 5-8 reps.

You should outgrow a 5 pound dumbbell in a week. If you had good form, you're probably already strong enough to deadlift 100 pounds!

If you can't afford a lot of heavier weights, look into a bodyweight program, like You Are Your Own Gym, Body By You, or Convict Conditioning. Some bodyweight exercises can be made harder with a light dumbbell, so you there are a few uses for the little dumbbells.