Never thought I'd be enjoying food more with less of it!

Options
DKG28
DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
I've been realizing that by carefully paying attention to what I eat, I actually taste my food, and appreciate the flavors! I used to wolf stuff down and the only flavors you can appreciate that way is sugar and greasy flavors (that's why fast food is so addictive). I'm amazed at how good things taste when you eat veg and things you have to really chew. It's like there's a switch from appreciating quantity, to realizing you have to appreciate flavor, because the quantity is not there. And everything tastes better. I knew for sure counting calories meant lots of what I thought to be flavorless foods, but it ain't so! Anyone with the same experience?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I wish! I did however stop eating mindlessly while watching TV.
  • DeliVibes
    DeliVibes Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I kind of agree with you! I've really learned to appreciate the tastes of different vegetables since I started trying to eat healthier. I used to cover all of my food in ketchup but I've stopped doing this and have realized how good healthy food can be. Tomatoes, avocados, cucumber are foods I never would have touched before and now I can't get enough of them!!
  • asia_hanebach
    asia_hanebach Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I noticed the exact same thing!! I enjoy food so much more now that I'm taking the time to prepare actual food, rather than wolfing down anything and everything in sight.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    It makes sense! Who appreciates money more, a billionaire or someone scraping to get by? Same concept. The "law of diminishing returns" dictates that the more of a reward you have, the less you enjoy it. It goes for all of life's pleasures. :)
  • LuckyShimmer
    LuckyShimmer Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Same here, bro :D

Never before have I tasted the falvours in foods as clearly as now. Like, before I started my 'change of lifestyle' I used to eat about 4-6 slices of apple pie with whipped cream on top, just stuffing myself with it, wanting to get the most out of the taste. Now I've realized that actually chewing and contsentrating on what I consume brings more emphasis to the angelic tastes of foods.
    It may be obnoxious for my friends that I eat slower than a snail, but food is something to focus on. Taking the time to savour the tastes is fun, makes the meal tastier and is totally worth it. (*)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I definitely can relate to your thoughts on this, OP! I also feel like I'm more "obsessed with food" and while that sounds really negative & unhealthy, I don't necessarily think it is. For example in the past I would have gone to Chipotle and had a big chicken burrito and been like "mmm this chicken, rice, and sour cream tastes great" while consuming hundreds of calories of beans, cheese, salsa and the massive fluffy tortilla it was all wrapped up in. Now I have a big plate of chicken, rice, and sour cream (the parts I love) on a bed of lettuce, and I am actually more satisfied with that. Just one example of many.

I also find that while I still DO love (and regularly eat) things like pizza, burgers & ice cream, I am really just as likely to have cravings for avocado, sweet potatoes, salmon, etc. That's a nice change!

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes! Sometimes less really is more! Quality over quantity and all that *kitten*! We have been conditioned to think that we NEED this and that and more of that, stuff yourself with fillers so that you feel nothing, because even the slightest feelings of hunger is bad. That's not true! But those that make the junk need us to believe it! >:) I enjoy food, and thinking and talking about food now, I look forw ard to eating, and when I'm done, I'm satisfied! I am becoming a gourmet (*) I used to be more hungry after I'd eaten! I guess that is somehow wrong :s