I don't understand how I gained weight?

Options
I've hit a little bump in my road to weight loss. The past few months of 2014 were particularly bad for me in terms of my diet and exercise routine, so like many people I use the new year as motivation to clean up my act. The first week I did great and lost just over 3 pounds. The second week I was very discouraged when I stepped on the scale and discovered that I actually gained a pound -- what gives?

I workout 3-4 times a week (mostly cardio with some strength exercises built in during total body workout classes), and my eating has been on point. I'm very confused.

Replies

• terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Any given week you could be up a pound or 2 and it has nothing to do with actually gaining weight. Don't let one week discourage you. Our bodies fluctuate so much that it isn't enough time to say you did something wrong.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Without looking at your diary, here are a few possibilities:

- you are not measuring your food accurately
    - you are not logging accurately (i.e., you might measure it but then choose the wrong food in the MFP database)
    - you are a woman and subject to normal hormone-related water weight fluctuations
    - you have changed your exercise routine in some way that caused you to retain more water than last week
    - you weighed yourself under different conditions compared to last week (different time, after drinking water, before going to the bathroom, using a different scale, etc.)
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

- you are not logging accurately (i.e., you might measure it but then choose the wrong food in the MFP database)
    - you are a woman and subject to normal hormone-related water weight fluctuations
    - you have changed your exercise routine in some way that caused you to retain more water than last week
    - you weighed yourself under different conditions compared to last week (different time, after drinking water, before going to the bathroom, using a different scale, etc.)

This. Might I also add, eating more sodium or carbs than normal and retaining a bit of water. Or not drinking enough water and thus retaining more water. Or as I just discovered, not drinking enough water and being somewhat constipated.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Pretty comprehensive
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You will not lose weight each week. It happens. It is due to water weight changes, hormones, time you weigh yourself, how accurate your logging is, etc. Do you weigh all foods?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

This. Might I also add, eating more sodium or carbs than normal and retaining a bit of water. Or not drinking enough water and thus retaining more water. Or as I just discovered, not drinking enough water and being somewhat constipated.

How did I forget this one? It's pretty much the story of the past 10 days for me.