If I manage to avoid __________, I can stay on track with eating.

Options

Replies

• MezaEza
    MezaEza Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I've a massive sweet tooth so anything chocolatey is my weakness. Always need to have some in the house.
    I'm getting better at eating less of it though.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Anything that I consume after 9pm or so. I can eat all day in such a way that would perfectly meet all of my goals, and then the second I sit down after all of my daily obligations are FINALLY met (9+ hour work day plus 1.5 hours of commuting done, dinner cooked and cleaned up, load of laundry run, homework finished, lunches packed, children bathed and put to bed, etc etc, you get the picture) for that precious hour or so per day where I get to just sit down and turn off my brain, all heck breaks loose. I decide to have a little before-bed snack, which I usually have saved some calories for, but then I just end up mindlessly eating more and more while I'm sitting in front of the TV or my computer or reading my book or whatever. Even if I'm aware of it, I justify "oh, a couple more pretzels is no big deal, they're just pretzels" or "a piece of cheese is a good idea, I was short on protein by 7 or 8 grams today" or "I'm legitimately HUNGRY, I'm never going to be able to fall asleep if I don't eat something else" and then I go to log it all and suddenly I'm 300 calories in the hole. I'm trying to figure out a strategy to change that - I don't want to replace my short relaxation time with some kind of activity because I have a hard enough time falling asleep and I NEED a bit of time to unwind before bed, but I'm experimenting with keeping my hands busy, hot beverages instead of snacks, etc. We'll see.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Sitting down with more food than I should eat. Big mistake.

Get a serving, put the rest away, get out of the kitchen and then eat and I'm good 99% of the time.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Mine isn't food related really. If I manage to not beat myself up when I slip up I can stay on track.
  • danibu98
    danibu98 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Weekends are my big weakness. I tend to relax a little and it can snowball. This weekend I stayed pretty close to on track by doing 2 long workouts and setting MFP reminders on my phone to log each meal (those have been HUGE)

The second is injury. I have been injured many times before and it can be depressing and throw me off track for long periods of time
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    BarbieAS wrote: »
    Anything that I consume after 9pm or so. I can eat all day in such a way that would perfectly meet all of my goals, and then the second I sit down after all of my daily obligations are FINALLY met (9+ hour work day plus 1.5 hours of commuting done, dinner cooked and cleaned up, load of laundry run, homework finished, lunches packed, children bathed and put to bed, etc etc, you get the picture) for that precious hour or so per day where I get to just sit down and turn off my brain, all heck breaks loose. I decide to have a little before-bed snack, which I usually have saved some calories for, but then I just end up mindlessly eating more and more while I'm sitting in front of the TV or my computer or reading my book or whatever. Even if I'm aware of it, I justify "oh, a couple more pretzels is no big deal, they're just pretzels" or "a piece of cheese is a good idea, I was short on protein by 7 or 8 grams today" or "I'm legitimately HUNGRY, I'm never going to be able to fall asleep if I don't eat something else" and then I go to log it all and suddenly I'm 300 calories in the hole. I'm trying to figure out a strategy to change that - I don't want to replace my short relaxation time with some kind of activity because I have a hard enough time falling asleep and I NEED a bit of time to unwind before bed, but I'm experimenting with keeping my hands busy, hot beverages instead of snacks, etc. We'll see.

This!
  • robinsvitakjones
    robinsvitakjones Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, beer & pasta. All favorites, but now I rarely consume them.
  • mewilmes
    mewilmes Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    sour cream and onion potato chips with french onion dip
  • peaberry20
    peaberry20 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Gummy candy. I just can't stop at one, or four, or eight... So I try not to have any around at all!
  • Maries_wine_calories
    Options
    I never met a type of candy or chocolatey something that I didn't like....oh, except for...nope that was edible too.
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I'm doing good with trigger foods these days, I feel like I've been at this long enough that I don't get too tempted (or if I do, I manage to budget the calories in). I do generally need to avoid RESTAURANTS though! I don't go to many chain restaurants where calories are published, so restaurants are just a guessing game. And we all know how guessing at calories usually turns out ...
  • chachadeb
    chachadeb Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Wine for sure...
  • juhnell2610
    juhnell2610 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    cupcakes and poutine
  • schelly81
    schelly81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Those big boxes of mini chocolate bars that they have at Halloween. I went through a box of 90 in 3 days, and that was me trying to practice moderation this year.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    cupcakes and poutine

Oh, poutine, definitely. Especially since I tend to only eat it when I'm drunk. Alcohol diminishes willpower.
  • livb528
    livb528 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    If I eat too much sugar my cravings become out of control. And I still can't just have 2 pieces of pizza and be done with it. Learning how to make low carb pizza crusts have helped me. I am hoping to get to a place with my weight loss and overall health where I can eat these things in moderation and not have to deal with the intense cravings.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    not so much particular foods, because anything could do me in if I get in the wrong state - i basically have to avoid "leaving meal planning to the last minute and leaving myself vulnerable".

ok but the things i have to watch for in that state are poutine, indian food, and pizza
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    f I manage to avoid "not doubling up on portions of everything", I can stay on track with eating. I often succeed, but when I don't it's a high calorie day.
  • ksatkins75
    Options
    For the bread people there is a wonderful healthy bread that I have been eating for a couple months. It's healthy life, high fiber, whole wheat, whole grain. 70 calories for two slices and only .5 grand of fat. Two slices is a serving!