Inexpensive Health Food?

Options
What are good stores to shop at for health food?

Replies

• SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    What do you mean by health food? I shop at TJ's, Kroger, and Walmart. Try to buy most of your food from the perimeter and watch for sales. Kroger always sends me coupons.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Well, I shop at Aldis for the bulk of my groceries, Wal-Mart for dried beans and lentils that I can't get at Aldis, and Earth Fare for everything I can't get at either of those two stores. Mainly, TVP, nutritional yeast, and, protein powder. To me, my diet is very healthy.

What kinds of 'health food' are you talking about?
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I second Aldi, but I get my beans at a store that sells Caribbean/Latin@ food for about the same price as Wal-Mart. And I get lots of produce at the flea market.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Health food or healthy food? Health food is usually expensive, healthy food usually inexpensive.
  • HereLieWe
    HereLieWe Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Check out asian/ethnic grocery stores near you. The produce I've gotten at Chinese groceries have been excellent and very cheap. Like 1 lb of oyster or shiitake mushrooms for $2. Or apples for $0.69 per pound.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    how are you defining "health food" …

all food is health in the context of an overall diet that hits calorie/macro/micro goals...
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you're looking for...Today I bought eggs, spinach, zucchini, peanut butter, rice cakes, chocolate, onion. All healthy. Nothing really expensive, except for the chocolate.
  • EatPaleoStyle
    Options
    I'd like to knoe the answer of "healthy food" from all the people asking for it.

Any health food store, but compare prices with Amazon, most of the times the stuff online is cheaper.
  • pdwhitlock
    pdwhitlock Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Since switching to a healthy diet, I've actually found I'm spending les at the grocery store. I generally do my shopping at walmart and for a family of three I spend anywhere from 60-80 dollars on a normal week. Before I was spending over 100 dollars a week on junk foods. I typically purchase the same groceries and find different recipes using the foods. Lots of eggs, a large pack of chicken breasts, turkey burger, lean pork chops (fat trimmed), maybe a pork loin or turkey loin (we like them on the grill) a couple fresh veggies to eat early in the week and frozen veggies to keep our freezer full. I but low sugar oatmeal, snacks like Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, hummus with celery, mozzarella. I stay away from prepackaged meals due to the higher sodium and the fact that they are more costly. Hope this helps.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Walmart and Aldi's.