Nutritionist? Are they Worth the $$$?

Options
2»

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Some years ago I had a dietician review a week of my eating. She was well respected in Toronto, writing a column in the Toronto Star, tv appearances etc. She told me to add calcium supplements and gave me these delicious chews. I was surprised because I thought I had plenty of dairy and other good sources of calcium in my food diary. But those chews were really yummy. So I bought them and just enjoyed. The visit with her was part of an executive annual medical that was incredibly thorough. The following year they found a tiny kidney stone. I didn't put two and two together until after I stopped eating the chews and the kidney stone disappeared. Subsequent years I asked to skip the visit with the dietician.
  • gnik1
    gnik1 Posts: 30
    Options
    I think a nutritionist is a tool. At the end of the day, no matter what they tell you, it's up to you to do the work and get the results. That being said, some people benefit from it. Hearing and learning from someone who is qualified can be a major asset. It's like personal training, for some, worth the cost, for others they can accomplish the same ends with different means.

Agree completely I was referred to one by my doctor think went for one session and never returned. I was still in denial at that stage. My wife was with me and laughed when they showed me portion of steak I could eat which by the way is the same portion I am using today. So it's like any other tool and depends on how you use it. Similarly like these programmes that prepare you meals for you I feel that they are a waste of money, for me at least since I am now using MFP to determine my portion of food each meal.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Went to a well known nutritionist and it worked. I had to be accountable so more than anything it helped that way. That was a long time ago

Started seeing a Dietitian at the Cleveland Clinic last week who specialized in sports. Eye opener. Lots more knowledge transfer. A lot of training/exercise knowledge as she works with pro athletes and Olympic athletes.

Dietician might be a bit more but totally worth it. Anyone can call themselves a nutritionist. I'm a nutritionist. there...see? easy
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    If it was free, I'd totally go. I'm having success on MFP, but this could be useful too.
  • Arliah
    Arliah Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who has had a personal trainer/nutritionist for about three years now, and she sees her once a week ... and honestly, I think it's a total waste of money. She has lost maybe 10 lbs in that time (heck, I have lost 30 since April 2014 w/o a paid person); granted, she does not log as consistently as she should, so it's a lot on her. What really bugs me about the whole thing though is that she has some back/hip problems that, with proper exercise, should have gotten a lot better but have not. I know she works out, so I am always wondering if her trainer actually gives her the wrong advice *shrug*

But I think that by experimenting with the macros and then sticking to them for a while to see if it works is a really good approach. And it's free. Besides, if you want to, you can always monitor micros as well. Your body will tell you if you are doing the right thing (at least mine does with being less exhausted etc.) Just my two cents.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Lots of RDs work with diabetes clinics or in other specialties where people frequently need to "un-learn" or "re-learn" everything they thought they knew about nutrition. Being diagnosed with a condition that forces you to dramatically change or restrict your diet can be daunting, and the help of a dietitian can be really important in the early stages.

Also, people who have many food allergies, are very picky eaters or who have food phobias can find dietitians helpful when trying to plan a meal plan that includes all their required nutritional need.

So no, they're not useless. They can be very helpful.

BUT... if you're generally doing okay and you have no specific health or food issues, most of the info can be easily learned just by reading up and doing.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    If you already know the diet side of losing weight, maybe you need more in terms of emotional support? I don't know if this is the same for you, but I lost and gained about 50 pounds, and I think while I knew all about how to lose weight, my head wasn't in the right place. If you think having someone support you along the way like a nutritionist would work, and if you have the money for it, then that's your call.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    memelendy wrote: »
    If you already know the diet side of losing weight, maybe you need more in terms of emotional support? I don't know if this is the same for you, but I lost and gained about 50 pounds, and I think while I knew all about how to lose weight, my head wasn't in the right place. If you think having someone support you along the way like a nutritionist would work, and if you have the money for it, then that's your call.

In that case, a psychologist or therapist might be a better bet than a nutritionist.

Seriously, beware people billing themselves as nutritionists.
  • Charlotteanneb
    Charlotteanneb Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I starting going to a nutritionist about a year ago. I was so fed up of food and feeling sick all of the time and I didn't know where else to turn. It's honestly been one of the best things I've done for myself. It's made me make better choices about food in general and it helped me to figure out what foods work for my body. I knew the general principles surrounding nutrition and weight loss to begin with but she provided me with so much more insight than that. In terms of weight loss, that wasn't a priority for me but eating better in general has helped a lot. I saw her for a few months until it got to the point of me being comfortable figuring out my own meal plans and recipes. Now I email her on occasion if I need help but that's a rarity.