Advice

Options
101sal
101sal Posts: 43 Member
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Below is a copy of a post on my profile today, please,please,please always wear a helmet!

Hi all, very glad to be typing this today. Knocked off my bike cycling yesterday, No. 1 son went over his handlbars too trying to avoid me as i was leading. Just some bruised ribs, cuts and bruising and a banged up elbow for me. Luke just a few cuts and bruises. Bike is probably beyond repair, the paramedics had to cut off my jacket but fortunately we were both wearing helmets, but for that I probably wouldn't be here now, i had a very, very, lucky escape. Going to be a while before i can train again but gonna keep logging, and i did manage to get 12kms in yesterday before the accident. If you do cycle please wear a helmet every time you go out, even a five minute trip to the local shops. It doesn't matter if you think you look silly or "uncool"... mine saved me from serious injury or worse! Keep safe, Shane

I was so very lucky, I landed on the back of my head and my helmet did it's job. I could have made my wife a widow yesterday and left my boys without a Dad, please think of your loved ones.

Shane

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I ended up flat on my back two summers ago, trying to avoid a kid who was playing in the street and stepped in front of me.
  • ErinK09
    ErinK09 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing, I'm glad you guys are ok.
  • abelcat1
    abelcat1 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Why on every forum. Now you have to check them all to see replies??
  • 101sal
    Options
    not bothered about checking replies too much , i want everyone to be safe !
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have announced that you posted it everywhere, since it's against the guidelines.

That being said, glad you're okay. I witnessed a very bad fire yesterday. Nobody was hurt, luckily. It's crazy how we tend to take our safety for granted.
  • aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Glad everything turned out OK for you and the family. I have a family friend that grew up going to public schools. Particpating in all manner of safe bicycle riding days, subjected to all manner of safety videos television and in school. He dreamed of being a Marine, and was actually in DEP for the Marine Corps. Went longboarding down a hill without a helmet and wrecked. Airlifted to the hospital and put into a medically induced coma and is now undergoing intense mental and physical therapy. He will not be going into the Marine Corps. All the safety talk in the world and he chose not to wear a helmet.

Some people learn the hard way and some people learn from others. Always was, and always will be.
  • 101sal
    Options
    If i can save one life i think its worthwhile, if the moderators block me for multiple posting the so be it .
  • aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    101sal wrote: »
    If i can save one life i think its worthwhile, if the moderators block me for multiple posting the so be it .

Well meaning spam is still spam.

• 101sal
    Options
    oh well , not bothered
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Thank for posting. Wonderful that you and your son are well. Best wishes and hope you heal fast.
  • crocky64
    crocky64 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing I too had an accident where I came off and took the skin off my right shin the helmet saved what little sense I had. I also believe that it should be made a leagle requirement if you wish to ride a bike especially on the road
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Just curious. . Are helmets not compulsory in America? If you get caught here in Australia not wearing a helmet on a motorbike or bicycle, big fines you will get!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Glad you're okay!
    Glad you were smart enough to be wearing a helmet.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Just curious. . Are helmets not compulsory in America? If you get caught here in Australia not wearing a helmet on a motorbike or bicycle, big fines you will get!

Yes and no. Depends on the state/city. Most states have laws about kids and helmets (under 14 must wear one).
  • 101sal
    Options
    not compulsory in the UK, about time they were made so