in regards to keto/ lchf

Options
So from what I'm reading, this is great for fat loss, as long as you stick to low carb/ high fat. My question is regarding a situation where someone/I am eating high fat, but also moderate carb occasionally. Do you need to be in ketosis to be able to eat high fat? It's just so weird indulging in fat after hearing "no!" for so long, that I'm worried fat is still bad unless you've omitted all carbs (and have started burning fat/in ketosis)...?

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    No you do not have to be in ketosis to be able to eat a high fat diet. Keeping the carbs <50 grams daily will over time permit one to be in a state of nutritional ketosis. All ketosis is one is burning fat for the main energy source vs carbs. If one eats a lot of carbs and a lot of fats one could get very large based on my experience. :(

Protein amounts are kind of fixed for the typical person but you can play with the ratio of fat vs. protein. I do about 5% carbs, 80% fats and 15% protein to stay in ketosis and have done that for four months now.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    You do need to experiment a bit and see what works for you, but yes, keep carbs as low as is sustainable for you. This way of eating does allow you to eat more fat, but it is NOT unlimited. Set your percentages then stick with it and be consistent for a month or so, then see where you're at. If you need to make changes, then do so, but make sure you give each stage enough time to see if it's actually working or not.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Actually some of us work at getting into ketosis for even months because flipping sugar is in everything. Yes the Morton sea salt has added sugar I noticed this AM.

After I was off of sugar for a few weeks I could even taste meat that has had sugar added to it. Almonds became very sweet tasting.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    shejuicy wrote: »
    So from what I'm reading, this is great for fat loss, as long as you stick to low carb/ high fat. My question is regarding a situation where someone/I am eating high fat, but also moderate carb occasionally. Do you need to be in ketosis to be able to eat high fat? It's just so weird indulging in fat after hearing "no!" for so long, that I'm worried fat is still bad unless you've omitted all carbs (and have started burning fat/in ketosis)...?

It's no better than any other calorie and protein matched diet for fat loss and lots more restrictive