couch to 5k and breathing

Options
I'm hugely overweight, and started the couch to 5k programme tonight with a group. Because there were so many of us, we had to do it up and down a steep hill (there is not much flat land in my town). I have read on here that you are supposed to be able to have a conversation while running. I couldn't even have one in the walking stages as I didn't recover in the time. Is this going to damage me in some way?

Replies

• reesrachel00
    Options
    I am sorry I do not know the answer to this hope someone does, maybe you could see your doctor for advice? I am going to start it today, I have been putting it off long enough!
  • decy63
    decy63 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Run slower and see if that helps if not go slower again the point of c25k is to get you running not to get you running fast.
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Run slower, walk slower and if need be, walk some of the running portions until your endurance builds up.
  • DeeTee68
    DeeTee68 Posts: 198 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm hugely overweight, and started the couch to 5k programme tonight with a group. Because there were so many of us, we had to do it up and down a steep hill (there is not much flat land in my town). I have read on here that you are supposed to be able to have a conversation while running. I couldn't even have one in the walking stages as I didn't recover in the time. Is this going to damage me in some way?

Perhaps lose some weight before embarking on the C25K Not only will this help but may also reduce any possible injuries from the pounding your knees will take with you being so hugely overweight as you put it.

I also started the C25K (run on dirt trails only) last week and also have to run in a undulating area as I live in the middle of a wooded river valley. I love the hills though and see them as an extra challenge. However, I lost 10kg before embarking on the training programme mainly from speed walking and of course calorie deficit through food.

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    It's OK to start by walking, and when the walking becomes easier adding in some running. I'm not sure you should start right off with running up and down hills. Believe it or not, running down hills are harder on your legs than running up them.
  • martina1411
    martina1411 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. The instructor had to do hill runs with us only because there were not enough stewards. She has since informed us that she will have the less-fit amongst us running on the flat with a separate steward. Surprisingly, I feel pretty good today, just a little stiff in the thighs and buttocks. I will see how tomorrow's run goes
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

I doubt that if you are an absolute beginner in running, running up and down a hill is the way to go. It sounds very probably you will stress your ankles and knees to the point of injury. And not being able ot talk even during walking, it is not a good sign. I would start with a walking program, and then move to c25k, making sure to stay on flat areas. Check here, this might help:http://www.runnersworld.com/the-starting-line/how-to-start-walking
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I agree with others, don't be afraid to be slower. I was doing my walks at 4.0mph and my jogs at 5.5mph and I was getting migraines and ankle pain. I switched to 3.8mph and 4.6mph and all the issues have gone away. I'm only on week two, so we shall see how this goes, but my plan was to be able to do the 5k jog at 4.5-4.6mph and once I can go that distance without walking then maybe work on some interval training to improve my speed. The important thing is that you are DOING it, not that you are FAST
  • Lauren5280
    Lauren5280 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've got it sorted out! I want to start C25k but I'm to big of a pansy to run in the cold. Bring on spring!
  • acarmon55
    acarmon55 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could try to walk and then walk faster when it says to jog? Work up to a faster walk until you feel that you can start to run part of it. The point is to get moving and take your time. I would redo days/weeks if I am not where I wanted to be.
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Go as slow as you need. Just keep going and keep up the good work!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. The instructor had to do hill runs with us only because there were not enough stewards. She has since informed us that she will have the less-fit amongst us running on the flat with a separate steward. Surprisingly, I feel pretty good today, just a little stiff in the thighs and buttocks. I will see how tomorrow's run goes

Good! I was going to suggest that perhaps you needed to start out more slowly than the group was going. Not being able to catch your breath means that you're going too fast. Hills are tough enough, you really shouldn't be doing them when you're just starting C25K.
  • gwensoul
    gwensoul Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Make sure you stretch and cool down. I skipped that part when I began and ended on hurting myself. I suggest doing some extra stretching or even some yoga videos to keep your joints and muscles loose on other days.
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    One other suggestion I have is to join the C25K group on Myfitnesspal and to post in the daily update thread. Lot's of people will be going through the program at the same time as you in different stages. There are bound to be a few just starting too. I found this really motivating when I did C25K.
  • martina1411
    martina1411 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    upsaluki wrote: »
    One other suggestion I have is to join the C25K group on Myfitnesspal and to post in the daily update thread. Lot's of people will be going through the program at the same time as you in different stages. There are bound to be a few just starting too. I found this really motivating when I did C25K.

I joined the group - thankyou.

I ran my second day today - on the flat-ish, and managed the WHOLE podcast. It was hard but I did it. I feel great.