I'm about to throw the towel :(

Options
I'm getting discouraged and frustrated. I'm eating between 1,200-1,600 calories a day since I was told I have eat back my work out calories. I do one hour of Zumba 7 times a week and strength train 3 times a week. Sometimes I put an extra couple of hours of cardio when possible. My fitness pal says at this rate, I should drop 8.5 lbs by June 8th, but I don't see it happening :(
I don't feel tired or fatigued, but I started resting 1 day since last week. Well it's been almost 1 month and I don't see any progress and I don't see the scale going down. I just notice more muscles in my legs, but I still have to work on my inner thighs. Any suggestions? Any exercises that can help? Thanks :)

Replies

• Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    Need more info---bf%, height weight, body recomposition is what it sounds like you want to accomplish--explain or show diary and we'd get a better idee of what you're doing---
  • andabelard
    Options
    Hi, sorry things aren't going so well for you.

I think it might be because as you tone up and build muscle you should actually be putting on more weight, as (I think) muscle mass weighs more than body fat. Remember, thin =/= fit & healthy.
  • hmuh
    hmuh Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Nonono. There'll be no throwing of towels today!

You're doing great and seeing more muscle definition. That's awesome! If you want, throw in some squats and burpees. They'll take care of it. But keep doing what you're doing cuz it's working!
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    tumblr_ls4kjpjkDs1qb58tr.gif
  • xoxo2200
    xoxo2200 Posts: 57
    Options
    Need more info---bf%, height weight, body recomposition is what it sounds like you want to accomplish--explain or show diary and we'd get a better idee of what you're doing---

Please add me as a friend to access my diary
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    DON'T GIVE UP!!! JUST KEEP GOING AND THE WEIGHT WILL COME OFF!!! It sounds like you're building super muscle tone because you're working out so much, and that's ok. you're still getting healthier! the scale going down or not moving is not always indicative of better health/inches lost. You are amazing for working so hard....keep going! :)
  • mrty953
    mrty953 Posts: 26
    Options
    Hang in there. Sounds like you are doing all the right things :flowerforyou:
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Overtraining is counter productive.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    If that is you in the picture, it does not look like you have anymore weight to loose... Therefore you toning and building muscles, in which muscle weights more than fat!!
  • MsKari02
    MsKari02 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat. You are building muscle replacing the fat.
  • violettatx
    violettatx Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Why so much cardio? If you are trying to improve body composition and weight training you don't need to do all of that cardio. Also, how are you tracking your exercise calories? Are you using an HRM or relying on MFP? The latter notoriously overestimates burns.

I might also add that all of that exercise is causing your body to retain a lot of water, which is why you don't see movement on the scale.
  • PrivateVenue
    PrivateVenue Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Cardio is great and Zumba is SO fun. However, something you should try, even though it sounds odd, is to weight train. With more lean muscle mass, you will burn more calories. And you won't become a gross female version of Arnie in his hay-day.

Good luck!
  • PrivateVenue
    PrivateVenue Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Why so much cardio? If you are trying to improve body composition and weight training you don't need to do all of that cardio. Also, how are you tracking your exercise calories? Are you using an HRM or relying on MFP? The latter notoriously overestimates burns.

I might also add that all of that exercise is causing your body to retain a lot of water, which is why you don't see movement on the scale.

Yes, yes, just yes!
  • viragoeap
    viragoeap Posts: 107
    Options
    It sounds to me like you are making progress by having more muscle definition. I run 6 days a week, dance twice a week, walk copious miles a week and sometimes put weight on! But, my body is leaner, I'm fitter and my clothes fit ok. The reason I'm on here is because I can be a greedy so and so with my food and the diary helps keep that all in check! Feel free to add me as a friend and forget the scales for the time being!
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    I'm looking through your diary and you do a lot of exercise...I assume you are just gaining muscle. Let it happen. Be patient and don't throw in the towel so soon. Try only stepping on the scale once every two weeks.
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Its hard to tell. You could have "more muscle" in your legs because your body is putting on muscle, which doesn't happen in a calorific deficit, or you could have "more muscle" in your legs because you have burnt off the fat that was covering them before (ie you are losing fat from your body).

You don't have to eat back ALL of your exercise calories - you just have to ensure that your net doesn't drop below 1200 ie you ate 1300 then burnt 200 (leaving 1100) you need to eat another 100 cals worth of food to bump you back up to at LEAST 1200.

It could also be that whatever you are using to calculate how many calories you burn during exercise is incorrect? So you are burning less than you think you are burning, something to consider?
  • rachelleigh4988
    rachelleigh4988 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!!

Keeping working hard and the weight will fall off eventually!

I would suggest definitely putting at least one rest day in though. Your muscles need time to rest even if you don't feel tired.

Muscle does weigh more than fat, so maybe it's just that you're getting stronger and so the results are not showing on the scale. Which is okay! The goal is to be healthier, and losing fat and gaining muscle makes you healthier.

Have you taken your measurements? If not do so asap. That's often where you will see the biggest difference. I know that I lost an inch in my hips in 2.5 weeks.Whereas the scale did not change very much.

Best of luck and keep at it!
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    From your diary, it looks like you are severely undereating. I don't see you getting anywhere near your calorie goal for at least the week that I checked. If your goal is 1200 calories, then your NET calories for the day should be 1200. One day I saw your net was below 200. You have to fuel your body!
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    You don't just lose on the scale but also lose body fat %, or in other words inches.

Keep up with your routine and make sure if you want those inner thighs to muscle up that you are working those muscles. There are plenty exercises out there than can be use to strengthen the inner thighs, google will be your best friend along with youtube for videos.

One month in you will not always see a lot happening, the fact that you are seeing muscles come more to the surface means you are already making progress so just be patient and soon enough it will start showing up on the scale too.
  • xoxo2200
    xoxo2200 Posts: 57
    Options
    I'm using a Herat rate monitor/calorie counter watch and it says I burn between 660-760 calories per workout doing Zumba and when lifting weights I burn between 250-400. I am working out because I don't feel tired and it makes me feel good. I have to lose weight and tone up in the process. It is just frustrating :/