Jogging vs. squats - ??

Options
vha2
vha2 Posts: 64 Member
Can anyone verify that the following is more or less correct? (This is what MFP is telling me):

Cals burned in 20min of jogging = approx 180
Cals burned in 1min of squats = approx 90

It sounds way out of proportion to me. Like I could do 2 minutes of squats and it would burn the same number of calories (more or less) as a 20-minute run? :neutral_face:

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    There is no way to answer this question without knowing your stats. You also need to take into account how vigorously you are doing these exercises.

If you are interested in an accurate burned cal count, you'll need to invest in a heart rate monitor (HRM).

It is worth saying that MFP and most other auto-estimations of burns are almost ALWAYS grossly overestimated.
  • vha2
    edited January 2015
    Options
    26yo, 65kg, 167cm. Doing squats as recommended by NZ Army.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound accurate at all.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    vha2 wrote: »

So use that info to put into an HRM. We still can't give you an accurate number.

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    1 minute of squats would not burn 90 calories. I dont think there is any exercise that could burn that much.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    NZ Army is correct. Great exercise.

Personally I don't count any of my strength training as calorie burning. I know it does burn calories but I just think of it as adding to my BMR. Just adjust your base calorie goal if you're losing weight too quickly. If not then you're getting stronger so yay!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Try 9 calories per minute of squats.
  • vha2
    Options
    1 minute of squats would not burn 90 calories. I dont think there is any exercise that could burn that much.

OK that's exactly the response I was looking for - thanks for being helpful!
  • lindzgayle
    lindzgayle Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    90 calories for only 1 minute of squats? I wish!
    As an estimation ONLY, the jogging cals sound more probable.
  • vha2
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

Personally I don't count any of my strength training as calorie burning. I know it does burn calories but I just think of it as adding to my BMR. Just adjust your base calorie goal if you're losing weight too quickly. If not then you're getting stronger so yay!

Yeah I have contemplated doing that as well - just logging cardio. Maybe that's a good solution. But also if MFP's estimate of cals burned for squats is that inaccurate, maybe it should be removed?
  • vha2
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

Aaah ok maybe it's missing a decimal point!
  • vha2
    Options
    lindzgayle wrote: »
    90 calories for only 1 minute of squats? I wish!
    As an estimation ONLY, the jogging cals sound more probable.

I thought so too. Thanks :)
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options

Yeah I have contemplated doing that as well - just logging cardio. Maybe that's a good solution. But also if MFP's estimate of cals burned for squats is that inaccurate, maybe it should be removed?

Where do you see this? I looked it up and came up with 0 cals, because it's in the strength database. If you want to log it as cardio, I would do it as "Calisthenics-light" which gives me 4 cals/minute.
  • vha2
    Options

Where do you see this? I looked it up and came up with 0 cals, because it's in the strength database. If you want to log it as cardio, I would do it as "Calisthenics-light" which gives me 4 cals/minute.

Click Exercise, search Squats, it comes up with Squats (20 = 30 sec). Then you put in your weight and minutes. 65kg & 1 minute calculates it as 89 cal.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Still, one minute of air squats is no easy task if you’re keeping a good pace. Give it try. With greater intensity, you’re definitely going to burn more calories per minute (maybe not that much, but definitely more).

Plus, squats will do more good for you than jogging (i.e., increase in testosterone, strength building, better mobility).
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

That sounds more logical.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options

Removed? How about ignored. If you want someone to go in to the database and find all the problems and inaccuracies you'd be paying for the site. Enjoy what is free and how to work around the obvious poor entries.