Planet Fitness?

Options

Replies

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    It all boils down to what your goals are. If you are looking for a place to get some cardio, light free weights, or work out on the fixed machines- PF may be the place for you. If you want to do more compound lifts or heavier free weights, you may not have a good experience at PF.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is great. It gets a bad rap, but I love it there.

They bring said wrap upon themselves, but it's the whole no such thing as bad publicity.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    There's nothing at all wrong with going to Planet Fitness to start out...
    Actually, I'm going to disagree with that. Beginners typically need some guidance on how best to achieve results, whether they're looking for weight loss, endurance, or strength building. PF, unfortunately, needlessly limits what people can do AND severely miseducates its own clientele.

However, I will agree that if someone is only looking for very modest results, PF can be a good way to get started. It's not a great way to make progress, but it's something. Hopefully, the people who sign up will eventually see past all the incorrect information that they spread (e.g. "bench pressing is only for body builders," "grunting, even light grunting, is rude and serves no purpose," and "people who carry gallon jugs of water are lunks").

• spartan_d
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I guess the "No deadlifts" thing is gym specific, because the two "home" locations I've had memberships at, there was no problem doing deadlifts, and I've seen people doing them.
    It's official corporate policy, but sometimes the local management turns a blind eye to such things.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I have a PF membership as my secondary gym. I usually ride during my lunch breaks at work, but when the weather is bad I hit up PF and do some elliptical or something just to move a bit. For $10, it's worth it to me as a backup to my main gym...it also comes in handy when I'm out of town.
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Planet Fitness. It is a fourth of the cost of all the other gyms in my area. It is also four times the size of all the other gyms in my area. Unlike other gyms that are open 24 hours they have employees there manning the desk around the clock. (I just did not always feel safe getting in with my key card and being there on my own...)
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I love Planet Fitness but maybe mine is different then everyone elses? I have no idea why people hate on it so much. Ours is very layed back and is HUGE. There are days when it is packed and days when it's not. I go to the gym on days when I can't fit in a bike ride (Most weekdays :neutral_face: ) or if it's raining. There is a mixture of people that attend my local PF. There are people who are lean and cut who spend all their times on the weights. They're doing dead lifts, they're using the squat rack, they look like their eyes are about to bulge out of their heads. Then there are the extremely obese people who are just getting started. They hang out on the treadmills, they slowly peddle on the bikes. Then there are the in-between chubby people and the normal-fit but like to work out people. It's no different then any other gym besides the loud bell that rings when I let the bench press down too fast and it's scares the crap out of everyone. No one comes to see what's going on, though. Everyone's always helpful of everyone else and friendly.

My love even cancelled his membership at his other gym to join PF with me. He's a Marine, he loves to lift, he loves run, and he loves to work out. He spends $20 a month and can be seen at PF with a lot of our local veterans, currently serving and a few trainers who go there to stay in shape. So it's not like it's a girly place to go or a crappy place. People pretty much are there because it seemed a lot less scary then the few other gyms around here.

Then again ours also has a ton of equipment so you don't have to fight over it. The free weight area is huge and has plenty of room. It's very cheap and I love going. I say join, it's extremely worth it if you have a good PF. I've heard horror stories of some of the nazi ones but ours isn't anything like that.
  • spartan_d
    Options
    I LOVE Planet Fitness. It is a fourth of the cost of all the other gyms in my area.
    That's the only reason why I'd ever recommend it. If you're on a severely tight budget, or if you have no other options around, then Planet Fitness might be your best bet. To such people though, I'd advise them to educate themselves on fitness and exercise, since PF tends to instill a lot of wrongful notions about these things.

Oh, and I'd also urge them not to buy into the stereotypes in the PF advertising. I know it's been said before, but... bodybuilders aren't generally morons, skinny women aren't necessarily vapid, and Zumba instructors generally don't snarl in their classes or try to intimidate newcomers. If PF would just stop spreading those kinds of notions, it would go a long way toward helping to create a culture of fitness in this country.
  • kbare85
    kbare85 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You just have to try it for yourself and see if it meets your needs.
  • borozco12211
    Options
    dafad123 wrote: »
    I jioned planet fitness and i enjoy it.i can do treadmill or eliptical or weights.its good choice for only 10 dollars
    I live by a planet fitness what's it like? Do you like it ?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Question: Does PF have or enforce time limits on the cardio machines?

I have free gym access through work, but for the next two months (of bad weather) I need someplace that is not going to yell at me for hogging a treadmill for 2-3 hrs.

Why in the world does a person need a treadmill for 2-3 hours???
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

I have free gym access through work, but for the next two months (of bad weather) I need someplace that is not going to yell at me for hogging a treadmill for 2-3 hrs.

Some people do crazy things like sign up for long races when they live in places where your breath freezes on your eyelashes when you run outside.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Marathon training! My long runs take me well north of two hours. My medium-long runs can touch up against it, depending on pace.

I'll run outside in pretty much any weather; the issue is having a place to run. Like right now, the sidewalks are under two feet of snow, the road shoulders are taller than me with plow detritus, and the park trails are dedicated to cross-country skiing. Treadmill it is.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    planet-fitness-no-deadlifting-notice.jpg

This is absolutely not true.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

@cranquistador
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Some people do crazy things like sign up for long races when they live in places where your breath freezes on your eyelashes when you run outside.

Long races?

Not even once.

Live somewhere too cold to train outside?

Not once. Not ever.
  • jazzy550
    jazzy550 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Joining a gym is an investment and it's always worth it. Weight bearing exercise is an important part of weight loss and general health. Your heart is the largest muscle in your body and it needs exercise through cardio so walking is a great activity. Good luck!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

@cranquistador
    I deadlifted up until Thursday...
    WHEN THEY TOOK THE LAST SQUAT RACK AND BENCH PRESS AWAY FOREVERRRRRRRR.

BYE PF.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options

Live somewhere too cold to train outside?

Not once. Not ever.

I agree with this.

My career does not.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options

Except when they take all the barbells and plates away.