16 year old sister on diet + 1200 calories

Options
my little sister just started dieting and joining the gym with me. I'm concerned for her. She has four pounds in a week doing cardio for about an hour a day. But she reports being dizzy and light headed A LOT. She's 5'3 and 140. She lost weight but for some reason today on the scale it showed 142.

She's binging very bad right now. It's sad and terrifying.

1.) how many calories should she be consuming for healthy weight loss?

2.) how can you stop binging

3.) tips?

I'm no expert on this, as I am only 18 and just started dieting too. Please help

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I would discuss this with your parents or another trusted adult, especially if she has a binging problem. As she's under the age you need to be to join MFP, we can't give any advice as to what she should do.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I would discuss this with your parents or another trusted adult, especially if she has a binging problem. As she's under the age you need to be to join MFP, we can't give any advice as to what she should do.

I second this. Ask your parents.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    my little sister just started dieting and joining the gym with me. I'm concerned for her. She has four pounds in a week doing cardio for about an hour a day. But she reports being dizzy and light headed A LOT. She's 5'3 and 140. She lost weight but for some reason today on the scale it showed 142.

3.) tips?

I'm no expert on this, as I am only 18 and just started dieting too. Please help

Why is her weight your concern? Kind of nosy if you ask me.

1- ask her doctor

2- what she eats is really none of your business

3- yeah- leave her alone
  • alisonschmidtt
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

3.) tips?

1- ask her doctor

3- yeah- leave her alone

Excuse me? My sister and me suffered from anorexia for many years. She was hospitalized for a year and turned out over weight in a turn of private events. I'm looking out for health because I never want that to happen again, and our trainers told her multiple times she's not eating enough, yet our doctor told us she is. I feel like 1200 calories is not healthy, and I do understand she is overweight for her height and age.

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

3.) tips?

1- ask her doctor

3- yeah- leave her alone

Excuse me? My sister and me suffered from anorexia for many years. She was hospitalized for a year and turned out over weight in a turn of private events. I'm looking out for health because I never want that to happen again, and our trainers told her multiple times she's not eating enough, yet our doctor told us she is. I feel like 1200 calories is not healthy, and I do understand she is overweight for her height and age.

You need to talk to your parents.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    And that is even more reason why you need to talk to a parent and a doctor/therapist.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

3.) tips?

1- ask her doctor

3- yeah- leave her alone

Okay, then stop tracking calories. It's clear that she or both of you are too young to be doing this (MFP requires being 18yo) and that there are still some issues to be worked out. Neither trainers NOR doctors are qualified to tell you how much to eat. Talk to your ED therapist and get back on the program, at least in her case.

And re: bolded part, were we supposed to just infer this magically somehow? The other poster asking you why her weight is your concern is a valid question.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Also, I am locking this because only adults are allowed on this forum.
This discussion has been closed.