What is the minimum amount of calories I should be eating?

Options
I am 6ft 306 pounds and tend to be less active (I've been walking at least 2 miles almost daily). I've been eating mostly healthy thing recently and they dont do a good job of providing calories so every day I'm consuming around 1500 calories, which to me soinds good, but I heard an average male need at least 1800 a day , and for a male my size I would assume I need more than that, but I'm having a hard time getting more calories when I'm already eating a lot

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    A male your size can get away with much more than 1,500. Eat what MFP tells you to eat after inputting your stats and exercise level.

To hit your calorie goal, incorporate more calorie dense items. Olive oil, peanut butter, avocado, chocolate, ect can all help boost your calories up where they need to be.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Generally recommended for active men is around 1800.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    And you can always see what IIFYM.com suggests and go from there. I personally agree with the above post-1800 easy
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    General guidelines are that men shouldn't eat less than 1500. Some people who work with athletes say 1600.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    At 300+, you are going to be seriously hungry, all the time, on 1500 after a few weeks. Why so aggressive? Why make it harder than it has to be?
  • CRIMSONBA
    CRIMSONBA Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The thing is I'm eating when I'm hungry (and I'm eating a lot) but with alot of vegetables in my diet I get full without a lot of calories. I have been finding alot of ways to increase calories over the last few days (I had a really large salad today for lunch with chicken, egg, a small amount of cheese, and some ranch that was around 650 calories) but even with 2 large meals around 650 calories and a smaller dinner around 400 and a 50-60 calorie snack or two and my calorie count is still below my MFP goal by a lot. I'm not trying to eat the least amount of calories I just want to know what it is to know if I should eat more to avoid my body thinking its starving
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Add fats (nuts, avocado, oils, butters) as they are high in calories and will keep you full.
  • sydneydeb
    sydneydeb Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    If you're full why bother eating just for the sake of it? I try to stay well below my goal as eating way too much is how I got fat in the first place. If you're full on lower calories that's great.