Question for those with Hypothyroidism

Options
Hi

I am 42, I had my thyroid removed 10 years ago due to cancer and I have PCOS. I recently found out that after about 5 years my thyroid levels are out of whack again and I am in a state of hypo at the moment. I have two questions:
1) have any of you found that being hypo makes you more hungry? I use to have no problem with 1500 calories a day but lately I am do hungry.
2) I know a lot have you gave had success going low carb. Does this include the carbs in fruit or just in grains and starchy vegetables?

Thanks

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I can't answer the first, but regarding the second, you should probably look at total carbs. From what I have seen over the years, general recommendations are 80 to 120g total.
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I try to stay around 100 but I wonder if this is to high for someone with my health issues
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    kmash32 wrote: »
    I try to stay around 100 but I wonder if this is to high for someone with my health issues

Sounds about right but you may want to check out this group PCOSIS
  • kmash32
    Options
    Bump
  • wheelsies
    Options
    I also have hypothyroidism and understand your problem! When my levels are off I often feel hungry and have no desire (or energy) to work out. Try consuming a high-protein diet. It can make you feel fuller and could help tide you through when your levels are low. Focus on reaching the recommendations for protein intake. I hope this helps!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and severe thyroid issues as well as other metabolic problems.

1. No
    2. ALL carbs. I find that I need to limit myself to one fruit a day and seriously limit grains, even whole grains.
  • kmash32
    Options
    I have PCOS and severe thyroid issues as well as other metabolic problems.

1. No
    2. ALL carbs. I find that I need to limit myself to one fruit a day and seriously limit grains, even whole grains.

How low do you keep your carbs? I am at about 100 - 120 a day right now.