Eating healthy on a STRICT budget....

Options
Hi! I've been on MFP since November (this is my new account after a hacking incident) and I've been struggling for a while now. It's not the exercise part that I'm struggling with so much as it's the eating healthy on a strict budget part. So I've decided to put it to MFPland to see if you all can help me out. So here are some details....

~ I have a wicked sweet tooth and I fail miserably when it comes to passing up the candy at the checklanes at work (I work overnight at a Target store).

~ My food budget for now is $40 every 2 weeks.

~ I'm lukewarm on most veggies. I do really like peas, corn (especially sweet corn on the cob), potatos and salads.

~ I LOVE fruit, though I have a tendency to not venture to far from fruits that I know I like.

~ I have no food allergies.

~ Though I am trying to eat cleaner I still consume a lot of processed food too.

Any suggestions/advice are greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Jamie

Replies

• PrivateVenue
    PrivateVenue Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If you have a Costco membership, you can get quinoa for an excellent price. It tastes great and you can use it like oatmeal or like rice.
  • jane_bee
    jane_bee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Eggs are cheap, calorie-dense, and healthy. Also, canned tuna and cottage cheese--but not together! :) Bananas are always inexpensive and I always try to buy seasonal veggies as they are cheaper. Good luck!
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    Do you currently count that candy towards your $40? I'm going to guess not since that's probably a couple dollars a day which over the course of two weeks, assuming you work 5 days a week, would already completely use up your $20/week food budget. I would advise adding up how much you actually spend on that candy and deciding if its worth that over actually being able to eat real food. You could probably double your grocery budget if you cut that out.

That being said, you can generally save money by buying what's in season for fruits and veggies instead of just sticking to what is familiar. Add things like brown rice and oatmeal, things you can buy cheaply in bulk that are also easy to prepare.
  • Mom22sue
    Mom22sue Posts: 2
    Options
    If you have an Aldi store in your area, try shopping their weekly specials--I've had excellent luck with all of their produce. They have a Light & Fit turkey burger --12 for $5 that I have found surprisingly tasty.
    Since you like the starchy, sweeter vegetables, try sweet potato (really cheap), sweet onions sauteed in a little butter, or sugar snap peas.
  • Celebi03
    Celebi03 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Hmm..

I eat whole grain pastas. Two packages cost like 5-7$ total. 12 servings each. Chicken breast, thin slices are cheap. Oatmeal, 8 servings? Eggs.. Bread. Frozen fruits (not that cheap but thought I'd throw it in there) and milk. I survive on this. lol also, I get all this at WalMart :tongue:
  • JankaLee
    JankaLee Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Eggs, tuna, cottage cheese, quinoa (previously mentioned)...are all awesome things.

Just stick to staples. You can buy bulk chicken really cheap, and you can do A LOT with 1 whole chicken. Rice goes a long way, dried beans that you rehydrate. The basic veggies can be pretty cheap (lettuce, cukes, tomats). Costco/Sam's are good ideas because you buy a giant bag of mixed frozen veggies that can be thrown into anything.

Are you living by yourself? It's just me and my husband here and I freeze a lot of leftovers. This way I always have spaghetti sauces, soups, pulled pork, etc always on hand for days I don't feel like cooking. Clean eating is also great because you save money by making your own things. For example, if you buy a whole chicken you can easily make your own stock for later by simply throwing in the neck, heart, and liver in a pot of water with an onion, celery, carrot, bay leaf, salt, pepper, and any spices you like. And that just saved you from buying a $2.50 thing of stock.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Can you have a garden? Perhaps even plant a pepper or 2, some tomatoes or beans in a flower pot? Growing your own is the cheapest and healthiest way.

Aldis? They have very cheap veggies.

Buy in bulk when foods are locally in season, chop them up, put them on a cookie sheet and freeze them. After they are frozen, toss them in a Ziploc bag. I also do that with any veggies/food that I don't think I'll use before they go bad.

Food co-op? I don't know where you live, but here you can get locally grown veggies, a mixed box of goodies, for like 20.00. It varies with the crops that are in season, but so worth it! Again, you can freeze what you won't use.

Sam's club and Costco have bigger packages of some foods that you can divide and freeze into smaller portions.

Brown rice, eggs (perhaps from a local farmer - even better), peanut butter, plain Greek yogurt are pretty filling and not too expensive. You can even buy peanuts on sale and make your own peanut butter with a food processor.

Do you have a local food bank? $40.00 every 2 weeks really isn't much for food. I'm sure they would be happy to help you.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    at less than $3 a day, focus on foods that have protein, fiber and keep you feeling satisfied.
    tuna, eggs, whatever vieggies you can get for $1 or less a pound and compare to the frozen veggies,
    often it's cheaper to go that route or more cost efffective bc you're not throwing away parts you can't use.
    lentils, and any other legumes you like. I'd make a crock pot of those continuously. rice.
    although meat is more expensive, it's also drasitcally more filling and has more protein so try to stock up
    when chicken and other lean meats or fish is on sale. the prices will depend a lot of where you live,
    so it's hard to be specific. try to get veggies that last a long time. like: cabbage, melon, onions, garlic, citrus.
    to name a few.

if you can, start making a compost pile and saving seeds from your produce. long term growing your won food will be your most cost effective and tasty option. you can do this even if you only have an apt window to grow in. or a balcony with a few pots, assuming either of those areas has enough light.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Grocery list for 20$ per week.
    Veggies: 2-3 kinds whatever is on special that week
    Fruit:2-3 kinds whatever is on special that week; bananas
    Potatoes
    Bag of brown rice (or bulk if they have it)
    Canister of plain cheap oats (or bulk if they have it)
    2-3 cans of beans
    Milk
    Eggs
    1-2 luxury items: package of chicken, jar of peanut butter, block of cheese

This was what I lived on for about 5 years. $20 per week. Doable.
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    If you only have a budget of 20$ a week, don't buy junk food and processed food! That is a waste of money. Buy whatever fruit and vegetables are on sale, whole wheat bread and eggs.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Here are a few cheap foods that I strongly recommend for a healthy food budget.

I've picked them based on a few criteria: high calorie, high nutrition, high fiber, and LOW LOW cost per serving.

1. oatmeal - easy to microwave, sweeten with a little sugar or Splenda. < .25 / portion

Costco has a sale in my area where 100 1/2 cup servings come in a big box for 7.99

2. potatoes - leave the skin on. Have seen 10 lb bags for < $4.00

High carb source that counts as a vegetable. Bake, mash, or microwave until soft (pierce first)

3. Sweet corn. 12 / $3 where I live. You can boil them all at once for several minutes or cook each ear in the microwave for two minutes with each side open and slightly wet. The silks come right off !

4. Cheap fruit =

bananas, average .25 cents each. Costco sells 3 lb bags for 1.40

cantaloupe - pick the ones with a brownish discoloration where it touched the soil and a slight yellowing and sweetness on either end - those are the ripe, sweet ones. You can get it cut from the store for around $2.50 per melon, which is just over .50 cents a serving.

unsweetened applesauce - individual servings are around 30 cents each, and 6-packs run about $2 on sale. Or make your own.

Frozen veggies = average of .25 cents a serving, easy to microwave. Add one to each main meal.

Lentils - around .99 cents per pound, cooks overnight in the crock pot.
    I make refried beans out of marked down pinto beans and buy one get one free salsa. I blend them when done and it comes to less than 10 cents a serving. Very high calorie for the cost.

5. 100% Whole wheat bread - decent fiber levels and usually on sale for less than two dollars. Or make your own with the bread machine (it will be a little thicker because of the whole wheat)

6. Whole grain pasta. Make a batch in advance and bag them in 1 cup portions

Your biggest problem will be protein, especially if you weight lift.
    I would suggest eggs and cottage cheese. Go ahead and eat the yolk, it's not the worst thing in the world.
  • vksoileau64
    Options
    doesnt corn and potatoes have a lot of carbs. I would stick to the fruits and veg in season like they said and chicken and turkey burgers.. also you can make your own 100 calorie snacks by buying a large box or bag and dividing it into small 100 cal pacs..thats what I do Good luck to you
  • sunshineanstars
    Options
    Bump
  • kendallsauntie
    kendallsauntie Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the suggestions so far! I forgot to mention that we have actually put in a small garden this year and have potatoes, beans, melons, cucumbers, tomatoes, peas and peppers coming up so far.

I don't have a Costco membership but I do have an Aldi's near me and I have my Target team member discount as well.
  • spirit05
    spirit05 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    At least for snacking I get celery and peanut butter, individual servings for a dollar each at Walmart, same with apples and peanut butter. Frigo cheese sticks are $4.98 for a big bag at Walmart and they have individual packs of pink salmon for .98 cents each, I mix the salmon with a hard boiled egg and a tablespoon of Helman's mayo for a filling lunch.
    I know you work at Target, but for a lot of the inexpensive foods Walmart is the way to go.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I use to eat lots of candy but I have a desire to change.

Take it one day at a time.
  • PandaFit450
    PandaFit450 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    For that sweet tooth try sugar free jelly crystals and seasonal/reduced fruits - make up as per packed instructions using 50 ml less water. Divide fruit & jelly into 4 plastic containers - 4 sweet treats for very little cost!!

:drinker:
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Here are a few cheap foods that I strongly recommend for a healthy food budget.

I've picked them based on a few criteria: high calorie, high nutrition, high fiber, and LOW LOW cost per serving.

1. oatmeal - easy to microwave, sweeten with a little sugar or Splenda. < .25 / portion

Costco has a sale in my area where 100 1/2 cup servings come in a big box for 7.99

2. potatoes - leave the skin on. Have seen 10 lb bags for < $4.00

High carb source that counts as a vegetable. Bake, mash, or microwave until soft (pierce first)

3. Sweet corn. 12 / $3 where I live. You can boil them all at once for several minutes or cook each ear in the microwave for two minutes with each side open and slightly wet. The silks come right off !

4. Cheap fruit =

bananas, average .25 cents each. Costco sells 3 lb bags for 1.40

cantaloupe - pick the ones with a brownish discoloration where it touched the soil and a slight yellowing and sweetness on either end - those are the ripe, sweet ones. You can get it cut from the store for around $2.50 per melon, which is just over .50 cents a serving.

unsweetened applesauce - individual servings are around 30 cents each, and 6-packs run about $2 on sale. Or make your own.

Frozen veggies = average of .25 cents a serving, easy to microwave. Add one to each main meal.

Lentils - around .99 cents per pound, cooks overnight in the crock pot.
    I make refried beans out of marked down pinto beans and buy one get one free salsa. I blend them when done and it comes to less than 10 cents a serving. Very high calorie for the cost.

5. 100% Whole wheat bread - decent fiber levels and usually on sale for less than two dollars. Or make your own with the bread machine (it will be a little thicker because of the whole wheat)

6. Whole grain pasta. Make a batch in advance and bag them in 1 cup portions

Your biggest problem will be protein, especially if you weight lift.
    I would suggest eggs and cottage cheese. Go ahead and eat the yolk, it's not the worst thing in the world.

The above. Plus looking at your food diary, cut the Pepsi and the reeses pb cups. If you eat that at work then bring PB sandwich beforehand, instead of eating super k nutri bars, or 4 slices of plain bread. Eat tuna (and get the one in oil) with bread. Boil a dozen eggs, leave in shell, and take with you to work to eat for snack. Eat green salad and just put plain olive oil and vinegar, instead of salad dressing. You can add different vegetables on top of your salad so you can experiment to find the ones you like.
  • H1L5
    H1L5 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Jack Monroe blog (UK) Living below the bread line feeding herself and her son on less than £1 a day see recipes here http://agirlcalledjack.com/category/below-the-line-budget-recipes/
    Might help you.
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Dried beans are inexpensive, easy to cook, and very healthful.