Mom belly- best workout.

AmberStarr_87
AmberStarr_87 Posts: 1,291 Member
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Started diet a month ago, I weigh 185, goal is 150. I'm eating 1200-1300 calories a day- 30-60 minutes of cardio and 30-60 minutes of yoga or bodyweight training 5-6 days a week. I have 4 kids, youngest is a year old. My gut is something awful. Now I know I need to loose the fat, but can anyone suggest a good workout to tone and tighten my stomach without leaving terrible saggy skin? Input is appreciated- thanks!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Exercises to help give you a strong core - planks, leg extension, crunches, etc... Personally, I would pick up a full body workout routine that concentrates on compound progressive lifts. These will generally work your core while working many other muscles.

And read this for the rest So you know want a nice stomach

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    Eat less, move more, and read the link Mr. Psu gave
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    While that link is correct it doesn't answer her question about saggy skin.

Saggy skin was a concern of mine and probably every obese person at some point along the journey to better fitness. The best reserch I could dig up with my google-fu is that there is not a whole lot you can about it. Genetics, health, age, speed and amount of fat volume you lose determine the outcome.

It seems to me after following a few people who have lost a 100 pounds or more, is a consensus that what ever saggy skin they may have or end up with is better then being obese. Some don't have much, others have come to terms with what they have , and some opt for surgery.

Skin tightens up at a diffrent rate then fat disapates. How long it take to tighten up varies by individual and I assume the same factors determine the time. Personally mine was 2 months behind and I have read others took up to 2 years. So, it varies is the best answer I have.

I can share from personal experience that more then a few times during my weight loss I was discusted by the saggy skin and wanted to go back to being fat. I was encoured by a few folks to see my plan out to its end since I wouldn't really know what I would end up with until then. It was one of the best descisions I have ever made. Had I given up I would still be obese, instead I am grateful for the second chance at being fit and healthy. Could not be more satisfied with the saggy skin I do have. I think it is still getting tighter but even if it doesn't I would be totally satisfied.

Don't let fear of the unknow stop you from being the best you can be. Lose the fat, get your fitness on.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    edited January 2015
    I'm the author of the belly fat thread linked above. There are a variety of factors that will dictate if the skin ends up saggy and if it tightens. Mine tightened a bit and some days it looks better than others, but my loose skin is still there. It doesn't really matter though. I feel incredible and with clothes on you can't tell I have the loose skin. Sure, I hate leaning over and feeling it hang. It's much better than the fat that used to be there. Thankfully mine is low enough that I can tuck it into my bikini.

20130520_195337_zps6ac16694.jpg

ETA: If you starve yourself to lose the weight your stomach will look worse. Eat appropriately and lift weights. That combo does wonders.
  • gabella0603
    gabella0603 Posts: 36 Member
    I know people who swear by dry skin brushing to tighten loose skin. They said it's the only thing that helped them. I plan on trying it here soon.

As for tightening the abdominal muscles, I have found pilates and The Dailey Method (there are other barre classes out there as well) to be the most helpful. Maybe it's being in a class with instructors walking around correcting alignment that has helped me the most, but all the crunches at home never seemed to get me super far to get back to the muscle strength again.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,836 MFP Moderator
    If you're really working out that much, please eat more. You'll still lose weight but at a more moderate and healthy pace. There's no need to eat just 1200 calories AND exercise that much. It would put you at a net of less than your BMR (the calories your body needs if you're in a coma). Plus, if you lose more slowly then your skin will have more of a chance to shrink. :)
  • AmberStarr_87
    AmberStarr_87 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Thank you everyone.. Hoping for the best!
  • USMCMP You just became my inspiration. I have been floating around here for 3 weeks trying to keep afloat. Showing your belly brought a tear to my eye.. out of joy !!! I have so much shame with my 4th Time regaining 85-100 lbs . Thank you for your honesty and willingness to share your pic. I hope my belly looks half as good as yours does.. woot woot girl!!!
  • SkinnyMomma02
    SkinnyMomma02 Posts: 82 Member
    Thanks for sharing ladies trying to work on my pooch
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Goaldn2015 wrote: »
    USMCMP You just became my inspiration. I have been floating around here for 3 weeks trying to keep afloat. Showing your belly brought a tear to my eye.. out of joy !!! I have so much shame with my 4th Time regaining 85-100 lbs . Thank you for your honesty and willingness to share your pic. I hope my belly looks half as good as yours does.. woot woot girl!!!

There's a long old line of people you will have to get behind there
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    I second the pilates recommendations, as a strong core is key to pretty much everything related to your midsection, but I would also say that (personally) Hulahooping has made an astonishing difference to my waist, stomach and bum in just 4 weeks! It's exercising with large weighted hoops, and my core has really been improved - and I can definitely see a reduction specifically in my belly fat. I don't suffer with saggy skin (yet!), but other people in my class have mentioned that it's made a huge improvement to their saggy 'mum tums'!