Confused....

Options
It seems the more I research protein powder, vitamins, and various supplements the more confusing it all gets.
I'm curious and considering cutting out most meats from my current eating repertoire and either getting the protein from other non-meat food sources or protein powder? Any thoughts?
I'm considering taking an adult multivitamin (you know you miss those flintstones chewables we had as kids!). I have heard that b-12 is good for low energy. Any other vitamins or supplements I should look into?
I keep hearing lots of people talking about shakeology.... Which is ridiculously expensive, incredibly far outside of my budget..... But I was curious about what ingredients are in the packets? If I do go the way of protein powders is it something just for an after workout recovery smoothie? Or should I figure on it replacing a meal or two throughout the week? Any experiences/results that someone would like to share?

Replies

• she2cute
    she2cute Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I would think that getting your protein from a real food would be better than from a factory/plant. Just sounds healthier to me. I'm skeptical about the protein powders, shakes and diet fads.
  • rclarkin
    Options
    I would not recommend cutting meats out of your diet. Limiting the frequency of high fat meats you eat would be greatly beneficial.
    Whey protein is extremely effective for recovery (more so than any other meat that exists). I would recommend a whey protein isolate. Message me and i'll recommend some protein powders that i've had the most success with.
  • nbeard4553
    Options
    I also would not recommend cutting meats out completely. I eat very little meat but when I do its lean protein like turkey or chicken. Otherwise for protein you can eat beans nuts peanut butter quinoa (super good source) greek yogurt has a lot of protein and is low in calories as well if you eat the plain flavor and add fruit its awesome. Be cautious of the nuts and peanut butter they have lots of fats although they are the good fats still too much isnt good. Protein powders im kinda against but if I were to use it I would go with the least processed version and only as needed like if I knew I would miss a meal or something. Sambozon brand hasgood on the go protein drinks. Also my local sprouts sells individual packs of vega one. Just some thoughts and recommendations. Best of luck!!
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I use whey protein immediately after workouts but can't imagine using it to replace real food. But hey, we are all different. Give your idea a try and see if you like it.
  • GundamGirl
    Options
    I've seen some recipes where you can put protein powder in your own trail mix bars and a few other things.
    I was thinking more like cutting back on the meat- not entirely, just less. Trying out different alternative proteins- hopefully something that lasts longer and is not expensive.
    Also, since I know that my muscles need protein to repair after a workout and I wanted to try something new for February I started looking into the protein powder shakes for recovery post workout. Yogurt and nuts get boring after awhile.
    Just seeing if anyone had any ideas or good/bad experiences so I don't have to learn the hard way.
  • GundamGirl
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/lifestyle-guide-11/protein-powder?page=1
    Here's an interesting article I just found. I consider webmd.com to be rather reliable with accurate information.