Fiber???

Options
So, I my weight loss has hit a plateau the last few weeks and I was reviewing my logs to see where I may be going wrong. I reviewed my daily nutrition and I have been falling EXTREMELY short on fiber. But I'm looking through things I have that have fiber and they are so high in carbs or sugar I just know it'll make me go over there. I was just thinking part of my problem on the scale may be lack of things moving along due to fiber? Do any of you have any good fiber sources you can recommend? I eat oatmeal a couple days a week and fill in a meal or two a day with a whole wheat tortilla or some brown rice. I made some chicken chili with white beans over the weekend , a recipe I found on a MFP blog. Any ideas I may not be doing?

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I mean...more food sitting in your colon is technically extra weight, but it's not going to change slow loss into a multi-week plateau. (Unless you are truly having no BMs--welcome to the wacky world of IBS, but in that case, I suspect your post would be a little different).

If you are super convinced you are stopped up--and NOT just because you aren't losing weight, but because you and the toilet are not buddies--you could try canned pumpkin, magnesium supplements, prunes, lots of leafy green veggies, Fiber One, heck, some people find a Quest bar will do the trick.

I'd suggest you look elsewhere, though, especially if low fiber intake is a long-term trend and not a change in the last couple of weeks. Are you logging as tightly as before? Activity level change? Medication, stress? Have you been adjusting your calorie target downward as you lose weight?
  • EatPaleoStyle
    Options
    Get chia seeds, eat more leeks or other fermentable fibers, don't get crazy about fiber.
  • clyn27
    clyn27 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I Found out when I was pregnant coconut oil Did the trick if I needed a little help moving things along. It is high in fat but it's good fat and it only take about a teaspoon just before bed to get things going.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel tortillas, raw almonds, peanuts, quest bars, Kashi bars, unsulphered dried apricots, prunes, yams with skin, coconut flour, black beans, garbonzo beans. Ground flax.
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I always end up over my fiber goals (while still being way under my carb and sugar requirements) I add ground flaxseeds and chia seeds to as many foods as I can. I Only eat whole grain products with at least 3 grams fiber per serving. Nuts and legumes are a great source of fiber and protein (as well as healthy fats) Lots of veggies. And drink plenty of water - too much fiber without adequate hydration can cause some issues.
  • fivelongmiles
    fivelongmiles Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I second the suggestion of vegetables, if you're worried about staying within your calorie goal. Looking at today in my diary, for example, my main source of fibre has been the raw vegetables I was grazing on between meals and the cooked ones I had with dinner. Also, if you're a bread person, try wholemeal bread.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Remember that fiber is a carbohydrate and will count against your carbohydrate column. Thats why you see fiber-rich foods being typically high in carbohydrates. A way around that is to track net carbs (subtract fiber count from carb count) to ensure you're getting enough fiber without worrying about how it impacts the carb count.
  • AngelAura777
    AngelAura777 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Kidney beans are great for fiber they also have good protein and carbs to fuel your workout. Vegetables also have fiber and you get the bonus of all the vitamins and phytochemicals
  • kcmorris3636
    Options
    Try orange flavoured fybogel comes in a satchet you mix with water and available at your pharmacy I take 1 sometimes 2 each day plus plenty water its sugar and gluten free
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Fruits and vegetables.
  • byrnet18
    byrnet18 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I add benefiber to my morning coffee, my protein shake and a glass or two of water. Seems to be the only way I get enough in my diet.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Fiber's one of the easier ones for me to hit. Swap out white bread for wheat bread, white rice for brown rice, and eat a fruit or veggie (or two!) with lunch and dinner and WHAM!
    But I'm looking through things I have that have fiber and they are so high in carbs or sugar I just know it'll make me go over there.
    Can you rethink these? The USDA Dietary Guidelines don't even call out sugar--only added sugar--so ask yourself if there's a good reason for any limits you're setting here.
  • kayeiam
    kayeiam Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Fruits and vegetables.

^^^^ this and nuts (I am diabetic and eat low carb and I get plenty of fiber in my diet with the above mentioned
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, weight loss isn't linear and stalls of a couple weeks are normal, but if you're still not losing in 3 weeks, it means you're eating too much.

If you pass stool every other day and are not hungry, you don't really NEED more fiber. But fruit and veggies are good for you, and filling, so it wouldn't hurt to eat more of them.
  • pdwhitlock
    pdwhitlock Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I changed my diet up a bit yesterday and the day before from just eggs for bfast and replaced with oatmeal and a nature valley protein bar and added in a veggie. Yesterday, I went a little over on my calories but all the above got things moving along and I've began losing again. Not to mention the energy boost I had this morning at the gym. It seems to me it's time to be paying more attention to my overall nutrition rather than just calories. Hopefully this is going to continue.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Quest bars are easy and quick and yummy and lots of fiber. Oatmeal is good, too.
  • fallingtrees
    fallingtrees Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Veggies are great, so is fruit, even though is adds carbs. I haven't seen legumes mentioned yet. They do have carbs, but also protein, and both soluble and insoluble fiber. Insoluble fiber is great for your arteries and your gut. It gives the good bacteria something to grab onto.
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Codilee87 wrote: »
    Nuts and legumes are a great source of fiber and protein (as well as healthy fats) Lots of veggies.

Veggies are great, so is fruit, even though is adds carbs. I haven't seen legumes mentioned yet. They do have carbs, but also protein, and both soluble and insoluble fiber. Insoluble fiber is great for your arteries and your gut. It gives the good bacteria something to grab onto.

They were mentioned, but apparently nobody bothered to read the whole post lol
  • pdwhitlock
    pdwhitlock Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Codilee87 wrote: »
    I always end up over my fiber goals (while still being way under my carb and sugar requirements) I add ground flaxseeds and chia seeds to as many foods as I can. I Only eat whole grain products with at least 3 grams fiber per serving. Nuts and legumes are a great source of fiber and protein (as well as healthy fats) Lots of veggies. And drink plenty of water - too much fiber without adequate hydration can cause some issues.
    I've heard about the flaxseeds and chia seeds but haven't been able to find them. Are they in the typical grocery store or do you have to find them at a certain health foods or vitamin shop? And what isle? I understand the water too. I keep my 32 oz cup full each day and have completely given up all other drinks....except coffee in the morning. Gotta drink a 16 oz coffee though I do log it lol
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    EAT MORE VEGGIES. great fiber sources, healthy. yes they have carbs but i personbally dont worry about carbs as long as they come from vegetable sources