Quick healthy lunch ideas for work?

Options
angbieb
angbieb Posts: 692 Member
I started a new job last week and I ate in the cafeteria everyday...not good! I'm looking for ideas of easy lunches I can pack for work that don't need refrigeration and are healthy. Please help?? Thanks!!

Replies

• cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I started a new job last week and I ate in the cafeteria everyday...not good! I'm looking for ideas of easy lunches I can pack for work that don't need refrigeration and are healthy. Please help?? Thanks!!

Are you packing a lunch box that you can put a freezer pack in for some coldness? I suggest fruits & veggies since they are good at room temp.
    Congrats on the new job :)
  • emily_ebooks
    emily_ebooks Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Um, when I go to work I usually pack:
    - a granola bar
    - a tiny can of V8 vegetable juice
    - a teaspoon or two of almonds
    - a banana

hope that helps!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Apples with nut butter, veggies with hummus, orange and cheese stick, jerky, dried fruit, nuts, and seeds.
  • Brie4me
    Brie4me Posts: 238
    Options
    Congrats on the new job!

I would suggest buying an insulated lunch bag, ideally one that has 2 compartments, and a few of the flat, lunch sized ice packs. That way you can take anything and the room temp can be okay in one compartment, and anything requiring cooler temps will be okay in the other with the ice pack. They work great. Just pop the ice pack back in the freezer after work and they're ready to go again in the morning. We also have re-usable lunch utensils

That way can you can bring wraps, fresh fruit, salads in pita pockets (with and dressing in a little Rubbermaid container), cheese, hard boiled eggs, hummus, veggies, pasta salads...you get the idea.
  • wanderlustlover
    wanderlustlover Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    For my last few weeks it's been something like

- 1 protein thing (Homemade/Marinated chicken drumstick, fish filet, or lean pork loin)
    - 1 cup of vegeatbles (cheese & broccoli, tiny corn on the cob, peas, etc)

Interchangable options on top of those
    - 5-6 cherry tomatoes
    - handful of baby carrots
    - half a cup slices cucumber
    - 1 small apricot or peach
    - handful of mixed nuts (not salted)

I have my water with me all day (to make sure I get to 60-80 oz every day), so I don't pack an extra drink, I just drink that all day.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Turkey Wrap
    Apples
    Orange
    Protein bar
    Almonds
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Microwave a cup of frozen vegetables. Put them in a pan with some eggwhites and scramble. Takes about 5 minutes from microwave to tupperware. Put it in your bag along with an apple and you're all set.

What I like to do personally is make a week's worth of chicken breast on Sunday nights. I bake them in a kitchen bag with a marinade so they stay moist, and I put in a ton of brussel sprouts with the chicken (coat them in olive oil first so they don't burn). Makes a great staple and a side for lunches (and some dinners).

On edit, crap-- I didn't see the "doesn't need refigeration" part. :P
  • vksoileau64
    Options
    I buy my snacks in bulk and make my own 100 calorie snacks.. In fact I just finished mine for the week.

I have the
    kellogs chips
    pistachios
    wheat crackers
    apples
    watermelon

I work out of my car mostly so the chips and crackers can be left in my car

Good luck
  • angbieb
    angbieb Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great ideas everyone! I didn't think of the ice pack for cold items...GREAT idea!! Thanks!:smile:
  • mcoy1201
    mcoy1201 Posts: 17
    Options
    I love the Starkist Tuna Lunch Kits. They are only 210 cals and do not need refrigeration.