Too Young For Hysterctomy?

Options
I'm 31 and have one little. She's 3.5 and it took about that number of years to get pregnant. We always wanted at least 2 kids, but I've had no desire to add to our family. Our little is perfect - okay, she has her moments, like every kid, but she's seriously awesome - and the joy of my life. I feel like our family is complete. DH has been pushing to start trying for another since she was born, but he recently said that he's happy with our family just the way it is. He'd be happy if something just "happened" but he doesn't want to try again. < Totally thrilled with that news b/c I've felt really guilty that he's been wanting to add to our family and I've been squashing it. Anyway....I don't think I'm going to want more kids. And even if I do, DH is 10 years my senior and in a couple years, he definitely won't be interested.

Sorry, so here's my question. Is 31 too young to have my uterus removed? I'd like to keep my ovaries, but I'd like to ditch my uterus b/c I have PCOS and the irregular cycles are causing a lot of anxiety for me about unintended pregnancy. I don't want to be on the pill b/c it kills my sex drive. We're using other methods to prevent, but it doesn't make me freak out any less when I'm 50 days into a cycle, taking pregnancy tests every few days just to make sure.

I know it's a personal choice. Just looking for feedback and things I might not be considering. =)

ETA: Obviously this would be a choice DH and I would make together. But before I take it to him, I want to be sure that I even want to consider a permanent method at this point.

Replies

• jade2112
    jade2112 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just get your tubes tied? I don't think you're going to find a doctor to remove your uterus to prevent pregnancy.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    My mom had a complete hysterectomy at 31. It caused a lot of hormonal issues going through menopause so suddenly and so young.

Would uterus removal help your PCOS or would it just alleviate the uncertainty? If it's just the uncertainty I would think your husband getting a vasectomy or you getting your tubes tied might be a better solution.

ETA: And I hear ya on the pill. I haven't taken it for years. We use other methods also, but I have a regular cycle. I know how worrisome a day or two late can be, so I'm sure the irregular cycles make it awful...I'd be testing every day too!
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I think my doctor would agree to it as a preventative measure b/c going a long time without a period increases your chances of uterine cancer. She has said that once we're done having kids, I may want to go that route, rather than having to take hormones to induce a period. They're hard on my body and emotionally.

The pill would is the obvious fix but when I'm on it, I really couldn't care if I ever have sex again. :sad: I can't go back to that. Not healthy for me or my marriage.

Obviously I'll talk to my doctor some more about options and see if there's another solution. Just wanted some opinions on permanent birth control during childbearing years.
  • cwilliams080676
    cwilliams080676 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I had one at 35. BEST thing EVER. I swear that's what helped my weight loss too. I take estrogen as they took my ovaries. I had severe PCOS, cyst on both ovaries and precancer in my cervix.
    Do I think it's to young, no but you must be sure you do not want any more kids ever.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

Would uterus removal help your PCOS or would it just alleviate the uncertainty? If it's just the uncertainty I would think your husband getting a vasectomy or you getting your tubes tied might be a better solution.

I'd still have other symptoms since I want to keep my ovaries. It would mainly alleviate the uncertainty, keep me from having to take yucky meds to induce a period, and eliminate the very slim, but still increased chances of uterine cancer.
  • cwilliams080676
    Options
    And the only way to relieve PCOS is ovaries and uterus removal. FYI
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I think my doctor would agree to it as a preventative measure b/c going a long time without a period increases your chances of uterine cancer. She has said that once we're done having kids, I may want to go that route, rather than having to take hormones to induce a period. They're hard on my body and emotionally.

The pill would is the obvious fix but when I'm on it, I really couldn't care if I ever have sex again. :sad: I can't go back to that. Not healthy for me or my marriage.

Obviously I'll talk to my doctor some more about options and see if there's another solution. Just wanted some opinions on permanent birth control during childbearing years.

In that case I would view it the same as those with a high predisposition for breast cancer who get a mastectomy. If you are facing a higher likelihood for cancer and you want to do it, I am all in favor of preventive measures.

Yeah, don't go on the pill. I think sex is hugely important in a marriage. Plus, it's awesome. So don't take that nonsense.

Most of my friends that have opted for permanent BC in their 30s opt for vasectomies. It's less invasive than getting tubes tied. But again, if uterus removal lowers cancer risk, go for it!
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I am 34 and I have been trying for a hysterectomy for years. I have 3 kids and had my tubes tied ten years ago. But I also have PCOS and have severe cramps with almost every cycle. My doctor flat out refuses to do the surgery. He told me I am way too young to go through menopause which is highly likely. Both of my ovaries are covered in cysts but my right one causes me quite a bit of pain the week before my period comes. I have been told to find a different doctor but I really like him so I am reluctant to leave his care. I have read up on hysterectomies and I am starting to see why he is reluctant. I think I am going to keep myself intact for a while longer.

Edited to say that I take Metformin which has helped with some of the symptoms of PCOS including the missed periods. Try talking to your doctor about it. See what she says.
  • Ivyzmama
    Ivyzmama Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I recommend the Mirena IUD; it stops 95% or more of the period flow, and it lasts for 5 years. I have not seen any research that stopping one's period contributes to uterine cancer. I think that's an old-fashioned myth, the idea that the uterus needs to be "washed out" monthly. Historically and in many poor parts of the world today, women rarely or never have periods because 1. they breastfeed each child for years, usually until after the next child comes along, 2. they are frequently pregnant and 3. their body fat percentage is low. The natural state of women is not to have a monthly period. Historically only nuns would have a period every month, and nuns have an almost 0% rate of gynelocigal cancers. Most gynelogical cancers seem to be related to STD exposure, smoking, and environmental pollutant exposure.

Good luck on whatever treatment option you decide. I wish we had more birth control options; everyone needs to pick what's right for them. I hate the Pill, personally, there's no way I can remember to take a pill every day, and I did get pregnant once after I forgot to take a pill one day. (I also got pregnant on Norplant, the rods that were implanted in the arm. I am happy to report that I have not gotten pregnant on the Mirena IUD at least!)

You can always try the Mirena IUD and if it doesn't help your symptoms, they can take it out and throw it away anytime you want.
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Removing your uterus and not the ovaries won't keep your ovaries from becoming cystic.
  • cwilliams080676
    Options
    Removing your uterus and not the ovaries won't keep your ovaries from becoming cystic.

This.. I said this as well..
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your main reason is birth control. That is not what that (major) surgery is for.

(I had one at 23 due to cancer, I am 33 now.)
  • michellechawner
    Options
    Maybe I'm just the odd one out here in regards to the pill - I'm on it and it never decreased my sex drive. I've been on 3 different ones over 8 years, and It never messed up my sex drive. Yes I do get moody when it's time, which I know is hormones, but it only lasts about 3-4 days. It keeps me perfectly regular too (Every 4th Tuesday between 9AM and noon, It'll be there).

In regards to the Uterine removal, If it's to prevent cancer I'd say do it. Obviously have a serious discussion with your doctor, and hubby before making such a big decision. And remember, if you do decide you want another one in a year or two, there is always adoption.
  • cwilliams080676
    Options
    The major surgery point is valid. I was in extreme pain for 2 weeks. It took about 6 weeks for a full recovery and to surgery a day without loratabs.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Have you tried different versions of the bc pill? They can have dramatically different effects on your mood.
  • Buff2022
    Buff2022 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your main reason is birth control. That is not what that (major) surgery is for.

(I had one at 23 due to cancer, I am 33 now.)

I had one last Oct. due to fibroids and constant bleeding. It was my lifesaver as it was yours. But I agree just for bc ...no not an option.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I would try an IUD before I'd have an organ removed. I have the Paragard, and it's awesome. No worries about pregnancy. I agree that you should look into the Mirena if you have bad periods. The Paragard one makes them a bit worse, but the Mirena makes them a lot lighter.
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    I've known people who got 'em younger. With PCOS, you have a valid reason, plus you have a child so most surgeons won't object to your youth. See an endocrinologist first, though, if you haven't already. Some women get relief from PCOS symptoms with medication.
  • Oriole15
    Oriole15 Posts: 58
    Options
    You do know one of the frequent adverse side effects of a hysterectomy is loss of libido right?
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    It's your body, your choice. It doesn't matter what age you are if this is what you want and you're sure. Reproduction decisions are very personal to each and every person/couple. If you have decided on a course of action, find a doctor that will respect you decision.

I had two very difficult pregnancies when I was 17 & 22, with a miscarriage just 6 months after the last birth. We decided that I would not be able to handle another pregnancy, and did not want to take the chance of another unplanned pregnancy, so we decided on a vasectomy for my husband who was 24 at the time, which seem the least invasive choice at the time. We went to several different doctors, 2 flat out refused to even exam him, said they would not consider it, as he was too young to make that decision. The 3rd doctor, interviewed us together after examining my dh, and I walked out of that interview after the doctor ignorant remarks infuriated me. He turned to my dh and said "how would you feel if in 10 or 15 years you two are split up and a hot young babe wants to have your baby?" Yes, he seriously said that! I stood up and told the doctor that "if he ever wants to touch THIS hot young babe again, he will have the surgery!" and walked out. We found a 4th doctor that agreed to do the surgery, and we have been very happy with that decision ever since.

This is a personal decision for you and your husband to make and no one else, make the choice that is right for you.