Can coffee help you lose weight???

Options
2»

Replies

• Nutella91
    Nutella91 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    YES. it kills your appetite. why would someone stop drinking coffee?
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Coffee Diets

Some products such as "Moyojava" and "The Coffee Diet" claim their product can help you lose weight. While "The Coffee Diet" cites appetite suppression as its secret to assisting in weight loss, "Moyojava" claims to have curious weight-loss properties that will help burn up to 35 percent more body fat. Many products make unsubstantiated claims in attempts to sell products. Be wary of products making promises, and always do research to be certain that substantial evidence supports a product's claims
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Potential Weight Gain

While there is some evidence that drinking coffee can assist in weight, at least for short periods of time, coffee drinkers should be aware that coffee can also cause weight gain. While purely brewed coffee has no fat and very few calories, adding whole milk, cream, sugar, whipped cream or artificial flavoring to your coffee can cause a substantial increase in calories and may cause you to gain weight or prevent weight loss.

Side Effects

While drinking a moderate amount of coffee likely has no adverse side effects, drinking an excessive amount of coffee in an attempt to lose weight can have negative effects. The U.S. National Library of Medicine states that three 8 oz. cups of coffee is a moderate amount, while 10 8 oz. cups is excessive. Excessive caffeine consumption can cause a fast heart rate, excessive urination, nausea, anxiety, depression and difficulty sleeping.
  • kitticus15
    kitticus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee and lots of it...

I am overweight by over 40lbs...

in my experience... NO IT DOES NOT HELP... if it did I would be as thin as a nail with the amount I drink, and I don't have cream or sugar with it....
  • Spacegirlnz
    Spacegirlnz Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I find that a coffee will make my brain think it's full, but normally I wasn't that hungry to start.

I have read though that a cup of coffee half an hour before a work out helps you burn more, or something. I know, personally, I can't work out in the morning till after I've had tea or coffee.
  • kitticus15
    kitticus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Potential Weight Gain

While there is some evidence that drinking coffee can assist in weight, at least for short periods of time, coffee drinkers should be aware that coffee can also cause weight gain. While purely brewed coffee has no fat and very few calories, adding whole milk, cream, sugar, whipped cream or artificial flavoring to your coffee can cause a substantial increase in calories and may cause you to gain weight or prevent weight loss.

Side Effects

While drinking a moderate amount of coffee likely has no adverse side effects, drinking an excessive amount of coffee in an attempt to lose weight can have negative effects. The U.S. National Library of Medicine states that three 8 oz. cups of coffee is a moderate amount, while 10 8 oz. cups is excessive. Excessive caffeine consumption can cause a fast heart rate, excessive urination, nausea, anxiety, depression and difficulty sleeping.

I drink more than 10 8oz cups, I am not depressed anxious etc and I sleep straight after drinking coffee at night, but I have been told I am addicted to caffeine and would have to withdraw slowly... I do believe it also hinders weight-loss in large amounts... there are studies being done to determine whether it causes problems with weight
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Appetite Suppression

While the caffeine in coffee may assist in suppressing your appetite, it only works until the effect of the caffeine subsides. According to the Mayo Clinic, there is not enough evidence to support that drinking coffee can assist in long-term weight loss. In order to suppress your appetite for a significant amount of time, excessive amounts of coffee may be necessary, which can have negative effects on your health.

Negligible Weight Loss

The Mayo Clinic also states that even though caffeine may stimulate thermogenesis, or heat production via calorie burning, the amount of calories lost from this are probably negligible.

Because caffeine is a diuretic, coffee might cause short-term weight loss due to increased urination and water loss. But be aware, that just because the scale temporarily says you have lost weight, that does not mean the weight is likely to stay off.

Coffee Diets

Some products such as "Moyojava" and "The Coffee Diet" claim their product can help you lose weight. While "The Coffee Diet" cites appetite suppression as its secret to assisting in weight loss, "Moyojava" claims to have curious weight-loss properties that will help burn up to 35 percent more body fat. Many products make unsubstantiated claims in attempts to sell products. Be wary of products making promises, and always do research to be certain that substantial evidence supports a product's claims

Potential Weight Gain

Side Effects

Thank you.
  • nonoark
    nonoark Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I find it helps to curb my appitite a little, my better half says it makes him go to the bathroom more....take it for what it is worth! BTW, The info from the Mayo Clinic, really injoyed that, Thanks!
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

Side Effects

The U.S. National Library of Medicine states that three 8 oz. cups of coffee is a moderate amount, while 10 8 oz. cups is excessive. Excessive caffeine consumption can cause a fast heart rate, excessive urination, nausea, anxiety, depression and difficulty sleeping.

A few years ago, the New York Times had a piece by a guy who was studying for medical boards and experienced a racing heart beat and extreme anxiety. He felt like hell. He told his physician that he was drinking something like 15 cups of coffee a day. I remember wondering what kind of doctor he would make if it never occurred to that the excessive caffeine was causing the symptoms.
  • shirley_beans
    shirley_beans Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Coffee certainly suppresses my appetite, but I also think that coffee/tea is a habit. Most people enjoy rituals and routines to help them get through the day. I know a cup of green tea helps me get out of bed on a cold winter morning, just as the thought of an iced coffee at lunch during a particularly hot summer day makes the morning seem to go by faster at work. Have you replaced your coffee ritual with something else higher in calories without realizing it? I'm no doctor, but as others have mentioned I don't think a substantial weight gain can be attributed to the appetite suppression factor alone.
  • ladpock
    ladpock Posts: 9
    Options
    I drink coffee and tea, but I haven't noticed coffee ever changing my appetite specifically. I feel more full after drinking it, just like I would water.

It gives me more energy, so I'm more likely to go for a walk or run however.
  • MimiG1979
    MimiG1979 Posts: 7
    Options
    I gained most of my excess weight after I quit smoking, although there were other factors at play) and I believe that coffee is similar to cigarettes in that to some people, it almost becomes a meal replacement. There's scientific evidence to show that it works as an appetite suppressant as well.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Coffee is a stimulant. Stimulants make you burn more calories and eat less. Ergo coffee helps you lose weight. The active ingredient in most diet pills is caffeine. Go figure.

What she said!
  • AmandaReimer1
    AmandaReimer1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Try tea if your not much of a coffee drinker. :)

Edit to add: anymore. Lol
  • seventwenty
    seventwenty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Correlation does not equal causation.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Coffee consumption has been shown to decrease the risk of developing Type 2 diabetes; the more the subjects drank, the better the results.

It is full of antioxidants, and decreases risk of colon and prostate cancer.

Also correlated with lower rates of clincal depression and has found to decrease symptoms in people with Parkinson's disease.

So, enjoy without guilt:flowerforyou: