Anyone Done the Tough Mudder? How Did You Train For it?

I have never done any sort of organized run/obstacle course ect so this is gonna be a new experience for me. I'm thinking I should try to do the couch to 5k program Or at least build up running to 5k at least. Probably doing regular weight lifting would be good, but how do I train for the obstacles?
It would not be until September so plenty of time to train.

Replies

• gspinosa1998
    gspinosa1998 Posts: 3 Member
    I can't wait for tough mudder I missed it last year but I suggest a lot of calisthenics training including some HIIT (high intensity interval training) 3 times per week that will get you in great shape for it if you don't know what those two thing I recomened for you are search them up you will have every thing you need to know
    GOOD LUCK!!!!!
  • scottish_laura_13
    scottish_laura_13 Posts: 69 Member
    im doing it for the first time this year too! I thought it would push me more to get fit and lose weight at the same time
    on the tough mudder website there is a bootcamp download program, im starting with doing that once a week to build it up
    im also doing the couch to 5k but in a round about way (warm up for 2 mins, run for 3, walk for 1, run for 2, walk for 1 run for 1, walk for 2 then seeing if I can run for 30secs more in each section every 2-3rd run)
    my friends done TM last year and said the major issue they had was the running
    im also doing yoga for 20mins everynight as I find its helping me with stretching and causes less pain when running the next day
    my event is in june, are you doing it as part of a team?
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    I've done five of them. More than anything else, focus on overall running ability and cardiovascular endurance, preferably on uneven terrain. Also focus on overall leg strength and conditioning, since the muddy trails with stress your leg muscles in unexpected ways.

Work on lats and grip strength for the various climbing obstacles and the Funky Monkey. Pullups will be a lot more useful than pushups for this course.

Core strengthening would help as well.
  • PerkisPower
    PerkisPower Posts: 74 Member
    Hey guys, completed my first tough mudder In Nashville last July. I didn't sign up for it until 6 weeks before the event. Here is some info. To help you prepare: I was 6 feet 186 pounds At time of event.

Training: I was already on my 2nd round of P90x when I signed up. P90X is perfect training! Plyometrics, legs and back, chest, and shoulders and arms are most important. This workout prepares you for nearly every obstacle on the course. I started running on the treadmill 6 weeks before and got up to 4.5 miles at an 8 mile pace. I wish I started earlier. I recommend being able to jog/run 6 miles straight without stopping. And I suggest running outside and on hills/trails as much as possible.
    Final note on training is: Pull ups, pull ups, pull ups!!! They are essential for so many obstacles and made very difficult obstacles easy for me with all the p90X training:

Obstacles: some actually can be pretty dangerous.

Balls to the wall: climbing over 14 foot wall using a rope and the wall. Not difficult but someone did slip and fall on their back10 feet up so keep your footing.

Mud miles: will tire out your legs but easy. You will be soaked in mud but only 30-40 yards long.

Berlin Walls: Awesome! I'd say 75% needed help getting over but was very easy for me because of pull up training. Get running start and explode up off of small 2 x 4 a foot up the wall.

Funky monkey: difficult obstacle. Incline monkey bars turn to decline half way up. Keep arms bent 90% and legs kicking go quickly or you will fall into water.

Walk the plank: awesome! Just don't be afraid of heights. Hard to believe someone drowned as the water isn't too deep.

Artic enema: sure it's freezing cold but it was perfect after 5 miles to cool me down. Your muscles might cramp up from the shock from hot to cold though.

Electroshock therapy: I ran through it and only got shocked once when hoping over hay bale. Hurts like hell and knees buckled but was able to run through without falling once. You can crawl through and probably not get shocked but what's the fun in that! Don't be a tough guy and walk through it. 4 guys locked arms and tried walking through it acting like badasses and they hut the ground hard right away after a dozen shocks.

Eat at all 3 eating stations and drink plenty of water!!! I cramped at mile 6 but gummy electrolyte helped save me. Was 85 degrees and seemed like half the people cramped somewhere at some point. Start hydrating heavy a week before.

Equipment: I purchased $35 trail shoes to provide grip and traction from all the mud. I still have them and will be using for tm Chicago. Wear dry fit socks, dry fit shirt, compression shorts and I wore swimming Trunks. Do not wear cotton! Will weigh you down. Gloves are not necessary. Mu teammate wore a camelback for staying hydrated which helped us all.

It's a blast and going back for more in May. Enjoy the whole painful process and let me know if you have anymore questions!
  • RunsForFood
    RunsForFood Posts: 110 Member
    RUN! The couch to 5k is a great program, but its only for 3 miles and the TM is 12-15 miles depending on the course.
    When I did mine I trained for a half marathon, and added crossfit. I had to still walk some of the race.
    If you can run trails run them, and really cross train.
    TM is hard but FUN! I am hoping to do one next year, they have added new obstacles that look awesome.
    Good luck!!!
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    TM is actually 10-12 miles long. It will feel longer though, due to the mud and terrain.
  • PerkisPower
    herrspoons wrote: »
    I did it in 2013. Although it was 12 miles there was a maximum of 1.5 miles (if that) between obstacles, so if you can run, say, 5 miles without stopping you'll find it ok.

You'll also need to work on upper body strength for some obstacles. Again, if you can do 3 chin ups you'll be fine.

I will suggest that only being able to do 3 chin ups will not be enough to be able to complete c the Funky Monkey. Pull ups are much more essential in training than chin ups.
  • scottish_laura_13
    I have a question about the camelpak - I was thinking about taking mine but worried it would rub on my shoulders or get too muddy?
    - I also know the course is longer than 5k but I think the 10week 5k program teaches you/body how to run and then you can build up to longer runs
  • PerkisPower
    I did it in 2013. Although it was 12 miles there was a maximum of 1.5 miles (if that) between obstacles, so if you can run, say, 5 miles without stopping you'll find it ok.

You'll also need to work on upper body strength for some obstacles. Again, if you can do 3 chin ups you'll be fine.

I will suggest that only being able to do 3 chin ups will not be enough to be able to complete c the Funky Monkey. Pull ups are much more essential in training than chin ups.

I did it fine at 210lbs and could do 6 chin ups at the time. It's not really that much of a test of strength as you don't have to pull yourself up much, just swing to the next bar. The trick is to keep moving.

That's impressive. I must admit at 187ish pounds I could do 15 full pull ups and struggled on funky monkey And barely completed it. My issue was that I locked my arms half way through and stopped moving quickly. Great advice about the momentum.

To the previous poster, the camelpak is much lighter than I expected it to be. My teammate said he forgot it was even on him it was so comfortable. There are many types though.
  • scottish_laura_13
    I have two camelpaks 1l and 2l which I wear often for work (fieldwork up hills/mountains) but I always have a body warmer on (its a H&S thing) so im not sure if they rub
    thanks for all this advice - im writing it all down to help me :)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    We had someone in our UK team that had not really trained and could only run a few km. She was miserable and ended up hurt.
    She was also incredibly slow and had to skip loops to keep up. Basically a mess.

Train properly if you can, you'll have a better time and risk less injury.

Running program. Get your endurance well beyond 5k.
    Lat, pull ups, balance work. Climbing and bouldering, if you have access.

There are several books out there or web sites.
    Good luck.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Thanks everyone for the tips. I guess I had just assumed it was a 5k but I might have been thinking of the Spartan race (which I may do before the Tough Mudder for training as it runs 2-3 weeks before the Tough Mudder) so I will definitely increase my running to more than 5k!! I didn't realize they had a bootcamp training download on the website so I will try that too! I'm terribly unfit so I will have to work very hard to get ready. I'm thankful it's so far off!
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Thanks everyone for the tips. I guess I had just assumed it was a 5k but I might have been thinking of the Spartan race (which I may do before the Tough Mudder for training as it runs 2-3 weeks before the Tough Mudder) so I will definitely increase my running to more than 5k!! I didn't realize they had a bootcamp training download on the website so I will try that too! I'm terribly unfit so I will have to work very hard to get ready. I'm thankful it's so far off!

Try warrior dash to start. It is a 5k and easier obstacles. I'm doing it in October.

Spartan race is also an option.