Newbie looking for supporting buddies :)

Options
Hello,

I already made my first newbie mistake by introducing myself as a reply to someone else's post.
So please allow me to introduce myself properly.
I'm a grad student living in Canada, very stressed with finishing my degree. As a result, over the past year and a half I gained 15 kg (30 lbs). I spent most of the time at home trying to concentrate on work and neglected my own health. So recently I started working out again (yoga, walking, beachbody DVDs, swimming - not necessarily in this order), trying to make it a habit. But since working out makes me hungry it increases the challenge to lose the weight.
It would be great to have some supporting buddies to help me through this and vice versa. I don't like the way I am now and I really want to go back to my former weight. So please add me as a friend and let's do it!
:smile:

Replies

• Superchick123
    Superchick123 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hey!! I am a newbie also, just started working out 10 days ago:) whats ur SW, and a GW?
  • Kellyerin1217
    Options
    Hi,

I am also a graduate student and can relate the stress of it. I work at a university (lots of time spent on my tush with my nose in books/on the computer) and then with graduate school work more time on my tush (with my nose in books/on the computer). I took a break from school this summer to work on my lifestyle change because I have been leading a far too sedentary lifestyle and gained weight.

Would love to keep in touch!
  • efpef
    efpef Posts: 4
    Options
    that's great!
    added you guys as friends.
    just let me know how you get this cool weight loss tracker :)
  • Fruit4dessert
    Fruit4dessert Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I remember how stressful graduate school is (I've been done now for 14 years, but the memories still haunt me! :tongue: )

Now I'm busy working/raising family and try very hard to keep my health a high priority. I'll send you a friend request!
  • hillarybressler
    hillarybressler Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for friends and support. I'm mom looking to lose 50 lbs. I'm in Orlando.
  • pjwarre
    pjwarre Posts: 15
    Options
    These pounds just keep creepin up! I have no idea what happened, I was fit and happy and suddenly I gained 30lbs and its making me miserable :( I'm really serious about losing weight so if you need any more support let me know ^^
  • kelssskay
    kelssskay Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Pls feel free to add me as a buddy to anyone who wants support. I am all about encouraging others!!!
  • jamielynas
    jamielynas Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I work as a Personal Trainer, feel free to add me :)
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend. I remember the stress of grad school very well!
  • lolly_t
    lolly_t Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm also new at this. I live in Vancouver. I had my first baby 10 months ago. Before I got pregnant I gained about 10 pounds and with the pregnancy gained another 20...yikes.. on my way now though! Would love to loose it with others and help motivate each other.
  • scrummy92
    scrummy92 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard!
  • artsycella
    artsycella Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I totally did this in grad school too! Studying just takes up so much time! Welcome and good luck, and feel free to friend me!
  • MimiG1979
    MimiG1979 Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm another post grad student and newbie, based in London. I was made redundant from my job at an investment bank 2 years ago and got quite depressed about my situation (plus a number of other issues). This all lead to me comfort eating uncontrollably and I went from 145lbs to 258lbs in a year!!! (By the way, I am 5 ft 8).

Gradually trying to get my life back on track so as well retraining as an accountant, I am hoping to get my weight back down to 145lbs, although I will settle for 160/170 by the end of the year. I am more concerned with my actual size than what the scales say - at the moment I am just about fitting into a UK size 20, having had clothes just 2 years ago that were a 10/12 :sad: . I have an hourglass shape so my bum and chest/shoulder area are much larger than my torso - my waist only measures 33 inches, whereas boobs and hips are 44 inches.

I am quite a picky eater and prefer to eat vegetarian/vegan where possible. Not a chocolate lover at all and prefer savoury and spicy foods. I can live without junk food and treats, but am definitely an all or nothing person, so all it takes is one treat day and I feel like a failure and give up.

I always exercised when I was thinner and still try to get out walking for 4 hours a week. Used to have a workout buddy, but unfortunately she has moved out to the suburbs which is a shame as I really felt that helped.

Going to stop typing now before this turns into my life story!
  • PMJ145
    PMJ145 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Looking for group support too. I'm so frustrated! I always try to eat healthy, but have really been dieting diligently for over two weeks: 1200 cals per day, NO alcohol, and working out every day. I've only lost 1.5 lbs. I got on the scale today expecting to have lost more after burning 1449 cals of cardio; I gained a pound! I take meds for my thyroid but had it tested and it's normal. My Dr. put me on Wellbutrin to see if it would help. Today is day 3 taking it. Any advice from others who may be able to relate? Losing 30 lbs would put me in a healthy BMI range, but I would like to ultimately lose 50.
  • ehargis09
    ehargis09 Posts: 12
    Options
    I am new as well! I am also a student, though not a grad student (wonderful accomplishment, btw! You should be proud!). I am finishing up my associate's degree and will be applying to nursing schools this summer, so I definitely understand the stress that you're talking about! You're in good company. :) Welcome!
  • krystal_black
    Options
    Anyone can add me all i ask is that you are serious as I am about your weight loss
  • dloucarter
    dloucarter Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Welcome! :)

I can totally relate as I have a very stressful job and also study, my health has been neglected and food choices when busy have been terrible. I was so fit & healthy 6 months ago and have put on 14 pounds.

I'm not new to MFP, its great, it works, I love it! I'm wanting to start again with new goals and once of those is taking time out for myself to exercise. I've realised no work or study is more important than my health is long term to ensure I'm here for a long time to experience life with my 2 beautiful young children. I'd be more than happy to support you on your journey :) Danielle
  • robinschwalb
    robinschwalb Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I want to lose 30 lbs as well......
  • Midnight1210
    Midnight1210 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard! Friend request sent.

If you keep an open and honest food/exercise diary (even on "bad" days), an open mind when your MFPals offer advice, eat smart and exercise regularly (even if you just walk) you'll reach your goal.

It won't happen overnight, you have to work for it - and sometimes it gets frustrating when you don't see results right away and a lot of time people quit right there. But that's what's so awesome about this site - it gives you a great support system. We've all been new once.

I'm in this for the long haul so anyone can add me if they need more support and are willing to support me too.

-Lisamarie
  • lyn_2013
    lyn_2013 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. :)