T1D/hypothyroidism help??

Options
I'm not totally new, but I always seem to give up after a few months of no change. I swear my body is the reason I have such trouble and I would love a mentor to help me out this time around. Please and thanks.

Replies

• Margie1974
    Margie1974 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Im not exactly mentor material since ive got my own personal flaws BUT we can be supportive with eachother since I have type 2 and also hypothyroid. Its tough! And no one understands it until they walk in our shoes! :(
  • jessicann149
    jessicann149 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ooh me three it's a rubbish thing to have xx
  • SuzFra1612
    SuzFra1612 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I also suffer with hypothyroidism and rheumatoid arthritis, it does make losing weight that little bit harder, I need all the help I can get! :)
  • elizzabethmarie
    elizzabethmarie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It's such a pain! It's definitely why I always fail with dieting. After a month or two and my weight hasn't gone down (and sometimes it goes up!) I give up and decide I'll be happier not counting and staying at the same weight. I've been carb counting since I was about five. So I know I'm not recording inaccurately. I just don't know why I have such trouble other than all the insulin and synthroid.
  • LadyLots2Lose
    LadyLots2Lose Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have congenital hypothyroidism so, I know what it's like to have a constant battle with the scales (and weight issues, the cruel things people say, blah blah...)
    I'm happy to be added as a friend if you'd like some extra encouragement/support. I've also subscribed to a group for Hypothyroidism which often has topics that are relevant and has been quite supportive as well. See the link below. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

It might take dozens of attempts but, you'll get there if you want it badly enough to keep going.
  • elizzabethmarie
    Options
    I think I've finally pushed past the amount of time my body takes to start seeing results. I've lost about seven pounds! Only another 83 to go!
  • elizzabethmarie
    Options
    So my doctor found out my TSH levels are on the high side. He's bumping my synthroid dosage up so I can lose weight at a more regular pace. I should have lost more than 14 lbs. I'm so hopeful this will help.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I am borderline diabetic and hypothyroid. If synthroid doesn't do the job for you after a few months, see what your doctor thinks about Armour Thyroid. Different ppl respond to different meds. I had to switch. Synthroid helps some people a lot, yet for me, I might as well have been swallowing tic-tacs!

Also I have osteoarthritis. It's a real bear some days. Over time, exercise has made it better though, because the muscles support the joints so that they grind less. You just have to build up slowly.
  • tmlandgraf
    tmlandgraf Posts: 79 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have both, so I completely understand the struggle. It's not easy, but I've found that I end more miserable when I stop trying. I just try to take it one day at a time.

Also, there is a type 1 diabetes group and a thyroid group if you ever want or need support from others with the same difficulties.
  • elizzabethmarie
    Options
    I think he'll probably have more labs done once my dosage has been upped. Part of the reason I gained so much weight in the first place was that for most of my hypothyroidism, I was never consistent with my synthroid. I always ended up forgetting half or more nights a week. I'm sure that threw me off. But now that I've been consistent, and he knows I need a higher dosage, we're hopeful it will help. I'm really anxious to get it started.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I was type 2....and I do have Hypo....Im no longer Type 2 because I watched my carbs and got my Aic under control it took about 1 yr and has been under control for about 3+yrs now...as far as the hypo it really doesnt hinder weight loss so much it makes it hard yes but it isnt impossible you just have to work at it I guess less cheat days no slacking I like to say lol...being consistent is key if your not consistent you cant really say its the illnesses to blame..I have found taking my levo at night is better than in the morning...just keep fighting and plugging along try not to think of the road blocks.....
  • elizzabethmarie
    Options
    My endocrinologist said that between the insulin, a growth hormone, and lack of thyroid hormones, weight loss could very well be impossible. But even despite my well controlled type one and not so perfectly controlled TSH levels, I'm still slowly losing weight. I'm hoping the higher dosage will just help bump my metabolism up to a more normal range and make it a little easier. We'll see.
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I have T1D and hypothyroid. And am losing weight. Not impossible if your meds and insulin are adjusted correctly. An insulin pump and cgms has been super helpful for me. I have been able to prevent almost all low blood sugars. The lows were causing me to way overeat.....
  • elizzabethmarie
    Options
    Lows were definitely a big problem, but I'm getting the Animas Vibe in a few weeks. Like I said, my doctor is upping my synthroid because it wasn't enough.
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Lows were definitely a big problem, but I'm getting the Animas Vibe in a few weeks. Like I said, my doctor is upping my synthroid because it wasn't enough.

Good luck with the vibe. Will you have the Dexcom sensors to go with it? It's a bit of a learning curve but SO helpful. When I cut calories so I am in a deficit plus started lifting weights I had to lower my basal and bolus rates about 30%. I wouldn't be able to safely do that without the Dexcom (or the pump).

• elizzabethmarie
    Options
    Yeah, that's the whole point of the upgrade! I have the Ping now. I had the original Dexcom Seven when it first came out about eight years ago. It was so inaccurate and impossible to shut off, I only wore it for a few months and then swore them off for a while, even though all my diabetes camp people have them and love them. So it's time for a change. And even better control.