I hate to exercise, does it get better the more you lose?

Options
Hi, I am finding that it's a struggle mentally to go exercise. I make myself do it and admittedly feel better afterwards, but when I think about exercising I end up having this fight inside my head to go do it until finally it's my exercise day and I am getting towards the end of the day and just go do it.
Does it get better the more you lose? I have over 100lbs to lose and I have plantar fascitis so can't walk, so I am left with the stationary bike which is not particularly inspiring at the moment. So have you lost a lot and have you enjoyed exercise more as you have lost?

Replies

• fietsvrouw
    fietsvrouw Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Mummoid, exercise covers such a wide array of activities. I find that getting on a stationary bike and hitting a target time or calorie burn is like being poked in the eye with a pointy stick repeatedly while I watch a clock. Do you cycle outside at all? If you can find a good bike path not too far from home that gets you out in nature, it is a world of difference - for me the difference between half a grumbling hour and two hours of fun. Physically it is the same exercise, but the experiences could not be further apart.

Exercising does get more fin as you get fitter. I started my exercise routine 5 weeks ago with half hour walks where it felt like clocking time and am now looking forward to my hikes and bike rides. In my past experience, the more it feels as though your body is working with you, the more enjoyable the exercise. You start to enjoy feeling how much you have progressed, feeling how string you are, and feeling that after-exercise high when you have worked out hard. Hang in there! I know you have limitations right now, but hopefully the plantar fascitis will clear up and you will start to have more options than a stationary bike.
  • Ironman689
    Ironman689 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Exercise only gets better when you find a workout that you enjoy. Don't limit yourself to only going to the gym.
  • tonytoo
    tonytoo Posts: 307
    Options
    I also find it becomes strangely addictive, if you find one you can enjoy.
  • careydesignstudio
    careydesignstudio Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Get a trainer.
  • bandbabesmile
    Options
    It definitely gets better when you're doing something you enjoy, in a setting where you feel comfortable.
    I cannot stand running indoors, or in broad daylight. Because I feel like people are judging me, even if they're not. So I run at night :) And it DOES get easier the more you lose; but mostly because the results you see are spurring you on and your body is getting used to the intensity.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I find it gets better the more you vary it. I do a huge variety of classes - spinning, boxercise, stability ball, aerobics, Zumba, LBT etc - as well as using the gym. Plus I go for walks with my kids. I'd get bored doing the same thing every day.
  • CurvaciousBeautyToBe
    CurvaciousBeautyToBe Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I had plantar fascitis, and it's has gotten a lot better since I have lost the extra weight. I would also suggest going and getting properly fitted for a pair of good quality running shoes. :)
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    yeah like the others said find something you enjoy and then it will get better i always loved the elliptical so i got me a good high quality one, i enjoy walking my dogs (my Inlaws dogs atm) so i picked that back up and now i discovered i love hiking and exploring the mountains so i take the dogs for hikes now at least once or twice a week, i also do zumba once a week at least. So many things you can do how about getting on a bike outside and explore the area maybe you like that better then going inside.
  • miche_smash
    miche_smash Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I would say that once you find something that you enjoy and gets you excited, then it gets easier. I found that I enjoy running and strength training, so I look forward to getting faster or running further, and lifting heavier weights. And yes, at first I felt like falling over after jogging a mile but now I can bust out a 5k without being out of breath at the end.
    Sure, you'll still have days where you want to skip it but that's when you remember how disappointed you'll be in yourself if you don't do it, and how proud of yourself you'll be when you JUST DO IT :)
  • Ivyzmama
    Ivyzmama Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've had plantar fascitis for over a year so I know what you mean. Here's what you can still do: Pilates (floor/mat and the machines - for the machines you need to sign up at a gym or center); most yoga (downward dog is really good for your heel - but don't overdo it, some classes will have you overdo it); Spinning, swimming, maybe water aerobics, and the ultimate of most people on here - weight lifting! I joined a gym last year mostly to cure my plantar fascitis because I knew that taking weight off would help and I needed a variety of types of exercise to avoid injuring myself (the way I caused the plantar fascitis by exercising one way - walking). Do you just have an exercise bike or a Spin bike? You can get used spin bikes on Craigslist, etc - I just bought myself a fancy used one for $500, it's exactly like the ones at my gym and I think it was totally worth it. Put your bike in front of your TV and also get yourself an MP3 player and make yourself a "workout" list of music to listen to when you ride. You can also by videos of bike tours so that you can watch people cycling through the mountains, etc. while you ride along on your bike to give yourself some beautiful scenery. FInally, schedule your exercise into your calendar and try to show up for it like you would for a dentist apt. It's for your health, just like a dentist or doctor's apt, right?
    I know, it's still exercise; we all gotta do it, whether we get our kicks that way or not.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Find something enjoyable, definitely! There are far too many ways of exercising for it to be a chore! I absolutely can not stand any sort of cardio machine workout, for instance...but I love to lift weights. I love to train with kettlebells, too. I also love walking and riding my bike around town, going for a hike, etc.

As far as your general physical condition goes, YES exercise gets more enjoyable as you become more fit and start feeling better.
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    since you have this plantar fascitis so you can't walk how about water work outs from swimming to water arobices to water zumba thee all kinds of different programes
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I had pf and lost weight during it. I did floor pilates and abs and arm weights. I also did the stationary bike. I cut my calories. It is possible. Once you recover start light with walking. I healed and now I can run even with no issue and enjoy it. I listen to music, that helps.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Try to find something that you enjoy that you will do regularly. But no, not everyone gets bitten by the exercising bug. I've never had to exercise for weight loss but I certainly recognize all the benefits (strength, endurance, flexibility, mental calm). Yet I still find myself restarting a few times a year. Although i consider myself sedentary, I'm not inactive: I walk when most people would take the elevator, take the stairs when others use the escalator, etc., but it's not regular exercise.

In addition, make it as fun as possible. I must have music and devices such as a heart rate monitor and interval timer make it seem more game-like, while providing information.
  • tinytinam
    tinytinam Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does get easier. First of all though, you have to work on the plantar fasciitis. I had it and it is impossible to exercise with it. Go onto Brent Abel's website (he is a tennis pro and instructor and had it himself). I had it for a year until I downloaded his programme and followed it exactly. It is a really inexpensive programme I promise you! Now I think because I had it for so long, that it took nearly a month before I had a major improvement, but once it started improving, it kept on improving until it was completely gone. There are no pills, potions, or gimmicks with this simple stretching programme, but dont miss out any of the steps and you will be amazed at the difference.

I didn't have as much to lose as you, but I am only allowed to swim or walk, so it has taken time and ups and downs to get me near my goal weight. You just feel so much better when you are fitter, and it is much more enjoyable when you see the strides (literally) that you are making. What about pilates? a lot of those exercises can be adapted and if you find the right instructor, you will be able to go at your own pace,

I actually enjoy getting out and walking every day now and that is huge for me! Feel free to ad me for support and encouragement.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Yes! Losing weight will help your foot problem, and your feet will heal with time, and you'll be able to do things that are more fun than a stationary bike. In the mean time, what you are doing is so positive and so important for your health that you need to stick with it, one way or another. New music keeps me going on boring cardio machines better than listening to the same things again and again. Even if you're just peddling and watching a movie, right now, that's probably enough!

Remember, it's going to get better. You are healing.
  • tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Hike! even small hikes are great I had / have Plantar Fascitis. I can hike as long as I have a 3/4 shank hiking boot, my foot is locked and loaded and I can go for hours.

see a massage therapist to help with the P.F.

Exercise is like diet, when you think about it too much it sucks, but when you eventually learn to do activities that you love and also burn extra calorie it feels more natural.
  • 19Lindsay76
    19Lindsay76 Posts: 135
    Options
    Looking forward to your workouts is all about your frame of mind, not on the size of your body. All you really need is to find that workout that you really enjoy. If it is something you like you will want to do it each day, and after awhile it will become addictive. I know once I get going, I find I really don't wanna stop when I am all done lol. I saw someone say something here about exercise coming in all different activities...so true...just keep looking for that activity u love!! :happy:
  • Ronda73
    Ronda73 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I had Plantar Fascitis and tendonitis in both elbows. But I found the more I did the better they got. Do your stretches with your feet, get fitted for proper shoes or inserts, and get to walking. You'll be surprised what proper fitting shoes can do.
    I wasn't a fan on exercise but now I get antsy on a rest day and still find myself doing little things like squats while I wait for my coffee to brew or using hand weights while watching tv. I think it becomes easier and fun when you start to see the results.