Confused about how to measure waist - am I at risk or not?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I went away for 24 hours and this thread blew up! I remember a similar thread about waist measurement getting like this. I'm not really sure why. All I can say is I have a vanity measurement: my smallest point. If the doctor would measure me I would assume it would be closer to my belly button.

Yeah same, I saw this thread pop back up on the board and thought I'd check back. 0_o OP unfortunately MFP doesn't come with a moron filter so please don't take these thread derailing chuff-nuts to heart.
  • Ooci
    Ooci Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I dunno about "Antisocial Personality Disorder" ... but I'm pretty sure lots a folks would put me in the Sociopath bucket.

I'm OK with that.

I coped with your lack of tact, I probably would punch you if I met you but at least you expressed pleasure that I was determined to go forward, and that was kind. It was the thick comment that really made my blood boil. And I'm pretty sure I can snap from sweet to psycho *kitten* without too much difficulty, so am hardly perfect.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    most people who are badass on the internet are wussy in person.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    McCrabby wrote: »
    Would visceral fat or subcutaneous fat burn off first? I can just research this myself though... I was just wondering if anyone contributing knew the answer. I've just started my cut this past week, so hopefully that will help with what's hanging around.

You can`t choose just one type to come off. The fat that comes off from being in a calorie deficit comes from everwhere, visceral and subcutaneous - which is fine. There are health benefits to fat loss for anyone who is obese or significantly overweight.

Combining diet deficit and exercise is the most effective way of specifically targeting abdominal fat - which is measured at the waist (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1038/oby.2004.95/full).

At least 30 minutes a day on average of moderate to intense exercise is recommended. Both weight training and aerobic traning are effective (http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content 60/5/695.abstract?ijkey=5d6a6bc31f6d12dd04c90db24e32a51b7be8398b&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha).

If you want specifically to lose visceral fat, you want to include dairy - especialy yogurt (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1038/oby.2004.67/full), whole grains (http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/87/1/79.short), and fresh fruit and vegetables in your diet.

Even though these measures specifically address fat at the waistline, both subcutaneous and visceral fat will be lost. Good luck with your cut :)
  • shifterbrainz
    shifterbrainz Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    MFP, please please please get the "Ignore Person" option back in play!!!
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Ooci wrote: »
    I dunno about "Antisocial Personality Disorder" ... but I'm pretty sure lots a folks would put me in the Sociopath bucket.

I'm OK with that.

I coped with your lack of tact

Tact is both unnecessary, and vastly overrated.

• Ooci
    Ooci Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Ooci wrote: »

I'm OK with that.

I coped with your lack of tact

Tact is both unnecessary, and vastly overrated.

Yes, Professor Higgins. But do prepare for the hurled slippers!

• Malteaster
    Malteaster Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Inspired my this I measured my waist, and the widest point. I was further over the NHS guidelines than I thought. I have also tried on a pair of jeans that I bought a couple of years ago that were snug at the time. I can't get them fastened by about three/four inches so will use them to gauge my progress.

I only have 20lb or so to lose to put me mid range of my BMI but most of my weight is around my waist/belly. Given that you cannot spot reduce how do I ensure my waist measurement reduces to the acceptable range. I am quite small boned so I'm sure I would not be the exception to the rule.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Malteaster wrote: »
    I only have 20lb or so to lose to put me mid range of my BMI but most of my weight is around my waist/belly. Given that you cannot spot reduce how do I ensure my waist measurement reduces to the acceptable range. I am quite small boned so I'm sure I would not be the exception to the rule.

Lifting weights, or other strength training exercises, will help you reduce body fat percentage. Yes, it will be all over, not just around your waist, but you'll see that waist measurement drop, too.

And nope, you're not the only one! I'm small-framed and short, too, and even though I also only have 15 pounds to go to get to mid-range of my BMI, my body fat % is also still far too high, and the core fat is still far too jiggly for my liking. I'm working on it. We can all huff and puff through it together.